• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Millions of reasons to enjoy going to work
[SIZE=-1](Austin American-Statesman © 05/16/2006)[/SIZE]

EDITORIAL BOARD
Tuesday, May 16, 2006

While a jury in Houston gets ready to pass judgment on the former chairman and president of Enron Corp., whose spectacular collapse into financial ruin in 2001 destroyed thousands of jobs, it's good to be reminded that employees at some high-flying companies have prospered.

A New York Times story this week highlighted 17 employees who joined Dallas-based Southwest Airline at its founding in 1971 and remain on its payroll. Not only have they spent 35 years at the airline drawing a paycheck, they've also benefited enormously from a profit-sharing plan, which in the early years included company stock. The stock's value has soared since then, and the 17 each have become millionaires.

Only four of the 17 are executives. The rest are eight flight attendants and five operations workers — frontline workers dealing with passengers and aircraft daily. All 17 could quit or retire, but their work ethic, job satisfaction and even their loyalty to the company — there's something you don't hear much about anymore — keep them going each work day to the Boeing 737s, ticket counters, gates and luggage carts.

Remarkably, Southwest Airlines has managed to retain something of its outsider, taking-on-the-establishment image and corporate attitude even as it has grown into the airline industry's gold standard — all the airlines want to be as profitable and as well run as Southwest. There was a time when Southwest was dismissed as an airborne bus line. But in business there's nothing quite as glamorous as 32 straight years of profitability, as Southwest can boast.

Of course, Southwest is in better shape in part because it doesn't offer employees what used to be taken for granted — a defined benefit pension plan. The older airlines are struggling to meet those old pension obligations or to scale them down, at employee expense. Southwest, in contrast, provides employees a generous 401(k) investment plan and a profit-sharing benefit, both of which help limit the airline's exposure to future costs but also requires of employees much self-discipline in saving for their future.
In days of declining job security, it's good to see a major, high-profile corporation such as Southwest that manages both to satisfy customers and reward employees for long, hard work. The jury in Houston is getting a down-and-dirty look at the other end of the corporate spectrum.

atafan said:
My 2 cents worth.

I don't know anyone on this board but I can speak for the hundreds of SWA pilots that I have met while jumpseating.They have always made me feel at home when on their turf and have always been friendly and respectful while jumpseating on my plane. SWA pilots have always been friendly and welcoming in the terminal or at the layover, and have always treated me the same regardless of this "code share" thing.

Does SWA have their 10%, I have only met a few that I wouldn't drink with but I can say that about my own. Are they getting cocky cause they are the big dogs now? Some might but I'll tell ya, I can remember being treated like dirt by many UAL crews when they were the big dogs and I haven't seen this from any of the SWA crews.

I agree. I have only had one bad experience jumpseating on SWA and that was dealing with a gay dude FA.....I think he was looking at me as competition or something.

capt. megadeth said:
I agree. I have only had one bad experience jumpseating on SWA and that was dealing with a gay dude FA.....I think he was looking at me as competition or something.

Do you feel just a little guilty about asking one of our captains for the priveledge of riding his / her jumpseat after all the negative posts you are constantly putting on here about us?

Do you feel just a little guilty about asking one of our captains for the priveledge of riding his / her jumpseat after all the negative posts you are constantly putting on here about us?

Do you thing that your negative attitude towards the rest of the pilots on here might lead us to post negatively about you?

And BTW, the jumpseat doesn't and shouldn't play into airline politics.

capt. megadeth said:

I gay dude saw you as competition? Does this mean you look like an attractive man? Maybe like Dave Mustane a little?

This is all to funny
15 years ago I used to JS on UAL all the time. These guys thought they were God's gift to aviation. At that time I flew for American Eagle and we rode with the AA crews from the parking lot at SFO. These guys and the F/A included wouldn't even talk to us much less look at us. Now that SWA is kicking a$$ the legacy's can't take it. 10 years from now some other airline will be king of the hill and everyone will be pissed at them.
If SWA/FO had been hired years ago at Alaska he would think they were the greatest, we all think our airline is the best at some point, if not always. If I was at SWA right now I'd probably toot my horn too.
BIG DEAL!

Last edited:
If SWA/FO had been hired years ago at Alaska he would think they were the greatest, we all think our airline is the best at some point, if not always. If I was at SWA right now I'd probably toot my horn too.

you got that right baby!!! AK/FO!!!

HighSpeedClimb said:
BIG DEAL!

I agree. As well as I know my brother SWA/FO, if he had been hired at FedEx he would be the top cheerleader there, sorta like Capt. Mark.

mach zero said:

No....because I don't have anything against SWA pilots (except that some drink a little too much kool-aid).
Pilots are not the ones making corporate decisions. Any pilot that can't understand that and thinks I should feel guilty about asking for a j/s from a captain that has nothing to do with screwing other airlines needs psychological help.

Last edited:
captain caveman said:
Does this mean you look like an attractive man? Maybe like Dave Mustane a little?

Yes, I look like an attractive man. LOL. Why, that is actually my picture on my avatar.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back