Southwest Article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The_Russian said:
Yet, SWA pilots can come on this board and laugh at everyone elses operation. Laugh at your job security and/or retirement plan problems. Laugh at "how they are gonna take your jobs", and everyone is OK with that. Why? Why are you all OK with that? Is it because they are the only ones mass-hiring for the past few years into a Big Boeing? Wait, there you go! Everyone suck up to SWA because they are our only chance now! And those guys can say and do anything they want on Flightinfo, the ramp, or in the terminal because we gotta be good to them. "They are our only chance for a job".

You've got some real anger-management issues there, Ivan. Why not do yourself & us a favor and move back to the Motherland, (try to) get a job with Aeroflot, and revel in the "Workers Paradise" where everyone is treatly fairly? ;)

The_Russian said:
People seem to forget that before Sept. 11 no one showed up for class at SWA. It only looks like a better job now because of comparison.
I'm glad someone else said it keeping me from having to point this out. SWA was the laughing stock before 9-11 and was generally the place guys went if they couldn't get on with any other airline. Now they boast about being the highest paid in the industry. Well how did this come about? It came about by bringing everyone elses pay down as opposed to lifting yours above and beyond. Something to be very proud of for sure:rolleyes:.

BoilerUP said:
"I've always wanted to work for SWA." Its spoken by the same ilk of people today that say "I always wanted to work for UPS" or "I always wanted to work for FedEx." Sure there are some people out there that truly had this perspective, but for most it is complete and total BS. You've "always wanted to work" for the carrier that was doing the best at any given time to provide the best living for you and your family, and there's definately nothing wrong with that, but lets be honest and call a spade a spade.

Generally speaking, on 9/10/01 UPS, FedEx and SWA were the 2nd (or third) tier or airlines people applied to behind United and Delta, Northwest and US Air & CAL. Its not good, bad or indifferent, its just the way that it was and generally speaking, is the truth.

As far as behavior goes...I've always been treated excellently by SWA as a jumpseater and paying passenger, and every company has their mouthy one (or five) percent...

I've never wanted to work....anywhere....unfortunately I couldn't keep suckling Uncle Sam's teet and moving back in with mom and dad wasn't an option. Oh yeah, and FedEx called first....

you're right, a job's a job...

Article not very accurate....

Accustomed only to success, it is as if they do not want to miss out on the rest of the story. They helped Southwest send big-name airlines like Pan Am and Eastern to the junk heap, and more recently helped bring United and Delta to their knees. Sure, it is hard work. But, they wonder, what might be next?

How did we do all that? News to me. As far as "wondering what might be next", hopefully that was taken out of context. Otherwise, that's pretty sad. But then again, 2 of the millionaires still live with their parents, also sad.

Oh yeah, don't group all SWA guys in your knife throwing exercise. Many of us are very sensative to other pilot's circumstances. Now maybe some of the old timers may still be upset about how they were pissed on back in the 70's and 80's, but there's nothing you or I can do to change that, trust me. Probably just a good ol fashion case of "look at ya now" or "remember when.."

The_Russian said:
Why could they not just wait? This happens almost every day.

Don't worry, you won't see me applying at SWA.

Because time is money. Just because you like wasting your companies dollars doesn't me we do.

Flyer1015 said:
WTF??!?!? Quit being a stingy idiot, and spend your money. Get the he!! out of your mommy's house. It's amazing to see no matter how rich some people get, they just don't wanna spend any of it. I'm not saying invest it in bonds, buy stocks, etc. But dang, pay rent and live somewhere BESIDES your mommy's house, k ?

Hey asshat. The guy is taking care of his 90+ year old mother now.

BoilerUP said:
"I've always wanted to work for SWA." Its spoken by the same ilk of people today that say "I always wanted to work for UPS" or "I always wanted to work for FedEx." Sure there are some people out there that truly had this perspective, but for most it is complete and total BS. You've "always wanted to work" for the carrier that was doing the best at any given time to provide the best living for you and your family, and there's definately nothing wrong with that, but lets be honest and call a spade a spade.

Generally speaking, on 9/10/01 UPS, FedEx and SWA were the 2nd (or third) tier or airlines people applied to behind United and Delta, Northwest and US Air & CAL. Its not good, bad or indifferent, its just the way that it was and generally speaking, is the truth.

As far as behavior goes...I've always been treated excellently by SWA as a jumpseater and paying passenger, and every company has their mouthy one (or five) percent...

Hate to tell you but United started a hiring freeze well before 9/10/01. Their complete lack of understanding of how to be a good manager and a good employee sent their airline into demise a year before 9/11.

It doesn't take long before employee unions destroy a company with the gimme gimme gimme for zero work attitude.

2nd tier in the eyes of the lazy slovenly pilots of the "1st tier" who destroyed their own companies.

BoilerUP said:

This is very telling. Second tier today may mean top tier tommorrow

pipejockey said:
SWA was the laughing stock before 9-11 and was generally the place guys went if they couldn't get on with any other airline.

Kinda like how the greatest Country in the World started, the misfits of Europe. (That would be the United States of America for you Russian folks.)

Now they boast about being the highest paid in the industry.

I've never heard any SWA pilot boast about being the "highest paid" here on this site or at work. This is not a title we need. We don't need to be 1% higher then the last guy. I think our goal is to "keep the checks coming in".

Well how did this come about? It came about by bringing everyone elses pay down as opposed to lifting yours above and beyond. Something to be very proud of for sure:rolleyes:.

Our pay has gone up, and up since 9/11. Cliff note version - we have gotten only raises since 9/11. I'm a very proud member of our industry holding this heavy bar up. Since its all about "saving the industry".

I've been wondering when we will get some help in the bar holding department? Why don't you lend a hand? The ALPA side of the bar seems to be getting really heavy, maybe too heavy. We are holding our own, you would be giving us $hit if we were giving money back - you just can't win with some people.

the SWA/FO (ngfy)

:pimp:

SWA/FO said:
I've never heard any SWA pilot boast about being the "highest paid" here on this site or at work. This is not a title we need. We don't need to be 1% higher then the last guy. I think our goal is to "keep the checks coming in".

:pimp:

I agree with you on this one. I'm glad. :)

Latest resources

Back