Southwest Article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The_Russian said:
Are you kidding me? Do you know anything about aviation history? Legacy carriers created and funded the national air transportation system.

Oh yea, weren't they the ones who didn't hire women pilots for the first 45 years? Maybe they were on to something Sugar Britches.:confused:

Yes and the airlines pushed for deregulation (which is how it should be) and inefficient airlines have disapeared ever since. Not our fault but the fault of management and company directors.

My 2 cents worth.

I don't know anyone on this board but I can speak for the hundreds of SWA pilots that I have met while jumpseating.They have always made me feel at home when on their turf and have always been friendly and respectful while jumpseating on my plane. SWA pilots have always been friendly and welcoming in the terminal or at the layover, and have always treated me the same regardless of this "code share" thing.

Does SWA have their 10%, I have only met a few that I wouldn't drink with but I can say that about my own. Are they getting cocky cause they are the big dogs now? Some might but I'll tell ya, I can remember being treated like dirt by many UAL crews when they were the big dogs and I haven't seen this from any of the SWA crews.

Oh and by the way. I have jumpseated on many Gulfstream aircraft and they ALWAYS have treated me like family too, you guys are always welcomed on any ATA plane.

pipejockey said:
SWA was the laughing stock before 9-11 and was generally the place guys went if they couldn't get on with any other airline. Now they boast about being the highest paid in the industry. Well how did this come about? It came about by bringing everyone elses pay down as opposed to lifting yours above and beyond.

Laughing stock??? Gee, I never saw that even when I was at my old legacy carrier. What I did see at my old legacy carrier was straight out fear whenever SWA came into one of our markets.

I also saw more failed strategies from our legacy carrier management than I care to remember. I also saw a management that constantly responded to ideas from the rank and file with the standard, "You fly....we manage."

I really fail to see how the failed strategies from my old legacy carrier were any fault of SWA's. Did Kelleher actually have that kind of sway to where he could call another airline CEO and tell him how to manage? Your statement about bringing dsown everyone else's pay sure makes it sound that way.

However, if he did....Herb then really is bigger than life.

For me, I saw the writing on the wall and voluntary left my old legacy carrier in 1998, when everybody was hiring and only applied at SWA...I got the job and I've been happy ever since. Even my old legacy chief pilot told be back then that I was making the right decision. I could see where my old legacy carrier was going....and they got there....just as I thought they would.

As to another posters comment about nobody showing up for class before 9-11....the "few" who did show up for class back then, you might be happy to know that they are hitting the books as they are getting verrrrry close to Captain upgrade.

Tejas

Benhuntn said:
Yes and the airlines pushed for deregulation (which is how it should be) and inefficient airlines have disapeared ever since. Not our fault but the fault of management and company directors.

Actually, there were only 2 airlines that were in favor of Deregulation. The rest knew what that would do when they really had to compete without gov't. intervention on cost, ticket prices or routes.

Who were the only 2 airlines in favor of Deregulation? United and some small 10 airplane outfit flying out of Love Field down in Texas.

Tejas

Oh yea, weren't they the ones who didn't hire women pilots for the first 45 years? Maybe they were on to something Sugar Britches.

Once again! You are trying to use an off topic point to make me look wrong. BTW, there were a lot of places (almost all places that werent sewing shops) that didnt hire women. But girls can work in strip clubs and make 3000 dollars a week to get naked. Guys can't. HA!

Oh and by the way. I have jumpseated on many Gulfstream aircraft and they ALWAYS have treated me like family too, you guys are always welcomed on any ATA plane.

You are welcome any time! We love to have all others aboard including ATA and SWA pilots.

The_Russian said:
And I did not PAY for my job. Are you saying that I was not qualified to work for my airline?

Oops, ya got me. I assumed you paid for an FO position at Gulfstream International Airlines, in other words you paid the airline to do work. I only had about 1500 TT and 1300 multi when I got hired- I'm sure I was qualified to fly for GIA, but that door was shut and tens of thousands of dollars was the key. Sorry, I assumed you paid.

It seems like the only way you can detract the conversation so that you can successfully debate me is to bring up my current employer.

I do not point my finger and laugh at other pilots.

Mmmokay.

But I find it hard for anyone who advocates a full on pay-for-job scenario able to point any fingers for any reason. Yes, it completely and utterly discredits that person if they point to anything other than a mirror and say, "That's a detriment to the airline industry."

Thought I read an article a while back saying that 75% of their fuel for '06 was at some rediculously low price thanks to fuel hedging. Apparently thay run out of hedged fuel in '08 or '09.

Right now, Southwest is able to undrbid all the majors on ticket price. What are your guys' thoughts on the success of Southwest once they start paying the same prices for fuel that everyone else is paying?

Last edited:
The_Russian said:
But girls can work in strip clubs and make 3000 dollars a week to get naked.

Not all girls.

Jump Captain said:
What are your guys' thoughts on the success of Southwest once they start paying the same prices for fuel that everyone else is paying?

Ask in 2010, then the question could be answered without speculation.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back