Southwest Airlines schedules its first flights in Memphis

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pretty sure that dornier flew more than 1/day

To me, 2 is perfect, 3 is great, and 4 is good if the weathers good- it's not til 5 that I get annoyed-- I don't actually like just 1- if I'm going to go to work- let me fly and land the big toy

All preference though

It was tough to get a dojet to do more than one flight a day. Couldn't go 10hrs without an engine change it seemed.

I was joking in my previous post, however I haven't done more than one flight a day in years and I enjoy it. I love flying, but I love being home with my kids more at this particular stage in the game. The way to do that at my company is doing two long legs a trip. 59hrs start to finish, 2 legs, 32hrs of block, 15 hrs of that in the bunk and done.

I think that's what the good ol' general tries to point out in his oh so special way. One thing that is nice about the "traditional" major airlines is the variety of flying. You want to do 2-3-4 legs a day? You can do that. You want to stay in the US? You can do that. You want to do two leg turns and be home every night? You can do that. You want to do the long haul and ultra long haul flying? You can do that. You want to do good overnights at the expense of efficient trips? You can do that. You want good overnights and efficient trips? Those exist, as well.

Last edited:
Day one of IOE. 6 legs (tx 2 step), 5am report, in a -500, wind not less than 25 knots at any airport. Like most sane people, I thought I must be out of my mind for doing this! After that everything is easy.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat??? A six leg day? But, Red and Canyonblue and ScorecardIV say that you don't have any of those......

Regardless, I'm glad you are having a good transition. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

It was tough to get a dojet to do more than one flight a day. Couldn't go 10hrs without an engine change it seemed.

I was joking in my previous post, however I haven't done more than one flight a day in years and I enjoy it. I love flying, but I love being home with my kids more at this particular stage in the game. The way to do that at my company is doing two long legs a trip. 59hrs start to finish, 2 legs, 32hrs of block, 15 hrs of that in the bunk and done.

I think that's what the good ol' general tries to point out in his oh so special way. One thing that is nice about the "traditional" major airlines is the variety of flying. You want to do 2-3-4 legs a day? You can do that. You want to stay in the US? You can do that. You want to do two leg turns and be home every night? You can do that. You want to do the long haul and ultra long haul flying? You can do that. You want to do good overnights at the expense of efficient trips? You can do that. You want good overnights and efficient trips? Those exist, as well.

Well stated. Wave's problem is he/she doesn't know what do do when confronted with something called "variety." He/she then reverts back to the "sellout" theme, forgetting that some cities are too small for mainline sized planes to operate, like the 17 cities that SWA is dropping after the full absorption of AT. 717s can't profitably go to Valdosta.

But, again you are right about variety in trips and plane types. Long haul isn't for everyone, but it's great to have a choice to bid it or not. If you don't have the choice, you shouldn't slam the choice you lack.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat??? A six leg day? But, Red and Canyonblue and ScorecardIV say that you don't have any of those......

Regardless, I'm glad you are having a good transition. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Thanks General. All things considered, the transition hasn't been bad. School house wise they are trying to take care of us. As far as flying goes, well I'm a PM guy. So being a assigned a 5am report was not my cup of tea. But it's only for IOE so that's OK. I got my 3rd choice for lines in June, all PM flying with west coast overnights ( my preference as a former AT 737 guy). The short hop flying does provide opportunity. You can easily add a 6 leg daytrip to your sched for a few extra coins. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but it's no different than when I would add a red eye 3 day at AT for some extra credit. The difference is the 6 leg day trip is more productive for the same level of fatigue. Scheduling vs pay vs equipment isn't unique to SWA or DAL. But it's fun to watch the usual contestants reinvent the wheel each week ;-).

Thanks General. All things considered, the transition hasn't been bad. School house wise they are trying to take care of us. As far as flying goes, well I'm a PM guy. So being a assigned a 5am report was not my cup of tea. But it's only for IOE so that's OK. I got my 3rd choice for lines in June, all PM flying with west coast overnights ( my preference as a former AT 737 guy). The short hop flying does provide opportunity. You can easily add a 6 leg daytrip to your sched for a few extra coins. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but it's no different than when I would add a red eye 3 day at AT for some extra credit. The difference is the 6 leg day trip is more productive for the same level of fatigue. Scheduling vs pay vs equipment isn't unique to SWA or DAL. But it's fun to watch the usual contestants reinvent the wheel each week ;-).

Well, I'm glad you enjoy it, and I'm glad you can pick up some extra coin if you want, even if it is a 6 leg day. Btw, which base are you at now, or do you commute from ATL? Take care.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I commuted to ATL. I live in the big D. No more commuting for a while. There will probably be some growth at SWA. How much and when will determine if I want to re-upgrade and start commuting again. If I could get into DEN as a CA, I would consider moving there. That's really the only other base other than DAL that interests me at this point in my life.

I love flying, but I love being home with my kids more at this particular stage in the game.

Don't let the Delta pilots hear you say that, that's not allowed at the commune.

Don't let the Delta pilots hear you say that, that's not allowed at the commune.

Canyon,

How can you see through all the tears while you type? Do you have Bounty paper towels nearby when you start thinking about your family while in a trip? No doubt family is very important, but hopefully your wife knew you were a pilot before you had kids. Unless you can hold day trips, you will be away on layovers, and if that is the case, hopefully you enjoy them.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I commuted to ATL. I live in the big D. No more commuting for a while. There will probably be some growth at SWA. How much and when will determine if I want to re-upgrade and start commuting again. If I could get into DEN as a CA, I would consider moving there. That's really the only other base other than DAL that interests me at this point in my life.

Good for you, and no more DFW either. Well done. ;)

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back