• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Turn = ATL BWI ATL
Day Trip = ATL BWI TPA ATL

Phred

At Southwest generally a "turn" can be either of those two scenarios. First turn definition: "When we get back to PHX, we still have to do a Vegas turn before we go home." Second turn definition: "I got my first choice line for next month: two two-days and nine turns. Sweet!"*

Bubba

* Sweet, because you can easily give away turns (the one day trip kind) and pick up on the days you really want to fly. Or score premium time.

Last edited:
It's still weird to me that SWA calls ANY day trip a turn-

Every other airline I've worked at (all hub and spoke) a turn just described two legs from the hub and back.

It doesn't really make sense as a term if you're not turning around and coming right back

We would even describe them in the middle or end of a bigger trip-
'What are you doing today?' '2 Boston turns, end up up in Raleigh'

"Just a turn" here at southwest can be a long f-ing day:)

That's about the one thing I miss about hub and spoke- living in base, pilots would often give away their first or last "turn"- it was often an easy way to add to the coffers without ruining your day.

Just a thought....could PCL and General Lee be the same person? That would explain a lot.

Phred

Hmmmmmm, now that you mention it . . . . Have you ever seen them together, in the same place? :eek:

Nah . . . . . The General's been posting since PCL was in Grade School. :D

It's still weird to me that SWA calls ANY day trip a turn-

I agree, I never really understood that one either. Also, I'll take the lobby time in local time. I own a cell phone that gives me the local time, I really don't care what time it is in Dallas.

I agree, I never really understood that one either. Also, I'll take the lobby time in local time. I own a cell phone that gives me the local time, I really don't care what time it is in Dallas.

Thank you-(!)
We can find another way to remember Herb w/o disrespecting him with "herb time"

That said - not the only airline that does this-

Usair east I believe still runs every schedule on east coast time whether they're in Charlotte, SFO, or Athens

I don't know how any of you fly more than one leg a day....

Pretty sure that dornier flew more than 1/day

To me, 2 is perfect, 3 is great, and 4 is good if the weathers good- it's not til 5 that I get annoyed-- I don't actually like just 1- if I'm going to go to work- let me fly and land the big toy

All preference though

Pretty sure that dornier flew more than 1/day

To me, 2 is perfect, 3 is great, and 4 is good if the weathers good- it's not til 5 that I get annoyed-- I don't actually like just 1- if I'm going to go to work- let me fly and land the big toy

All preference though

Day one of IOE. 6 legs (tx 2 step), 5am report, in a -500, wind not less than 25 knots at any airport. Like most sane people, I thought I must be out of my mind for doing this! After that everything is easy.

Latest resources

Back