>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Hold his head underwater until the bubbles stop.

HawkerF/O said:
That is unfortunate and SWA will pay as they should, but this appears to be just what it is, an accident, nothing more, nothing less. Not some conspiracy to not use safety equipment. Things like this are going to happen but most of us train to minimalize the effects of these type issues.

Hawker F/O, thanks for summarizing it for the rest of us . . . nice job. Maybe SWA will get proactive on these ass-clowns and file a suit for libel and defamation . . . seems to me that they are skating very close to the edge . . . Lawyer activities like this have a particularly particularly odious and noxious reek to them.

Let's close all unsafe airports!

Draginass said:
Some of the airports that SW prefer to fly out of are inherently unsafe and should be closed. Midway is one of them.

Ironic that the last notable accident at MDW happened 33 years to the day. 33 years and two air carrier accidents. Close the damn airport...While your out closing another Chicagoland airport, there is one down in Dallas that had two accidents with a-lot more fatalities in the span of 3 years. Why don't you close that one too. (By the way, it is DFW not Love!)

Last edited:
I push for the blame to be shifted to umpa lumpas. I believe there was lucious chocolate sprayed on the runway surface prior to touchdown.

I forgot to mention... God bless the little boy who was killed, his family, and the crew. I have a six year old son myself nd the thought of losing him is awful in the exTreme. I feel for the pilots. I am sur they must be miserable.

The Captain steered for the corner to avoid the street for as long as possible after the end of the pavement. Another 20 feet is all he needed...

furloughfodder said:
Mr. Rose indicated that, as a cost-savings method, SWA had also decided to disconnect an automatic braking system, which would have stopped the aircraft on the runway in Burbank.

There's a reason I got out of accident investigation (for land based vehicles) and into design engineering. Way too much speculation for my comfort level in this stuff.

Anyway... Didn't the NTSB report for Burbank say that it was NOT possible for the SWA/Burbank a/c to stop in the available rwy dist after touchdown?

Ok, here it is from the NTSB report:
http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2002/AAB0204.pdf

"At the request of the Safety Board.s Airplane Performance Group, Boeing ran stopping
distance simulations for this accident wherein maximum, medium, and minimum 737 autobrake
applications, as well as maximum manual brake applications, were simulated for wet runway
conditions after the 182-knot touchdown. These data indicate that the accident airplane would
have required about 5,000 feet of runway length after touchdown to stop using maximum
autobrakes and about 4,700 feet of runway length after touchdown to stop using maximum
manual brakes. Boeing stopping distance calculations based on FDR acceleration data show that
the accident airplane traveled about 4,150 feet from touchdown to impact with the blast fence,
indicating that the airplane touched down about 2,150 feet beyond the runway 8 threshold in the
TDZ"

WTF?? So Mr. Rose knows something that the Boeing engineers don't. LOL... Like I said, there's a very good reason I got out of the accident reconstruction business.​

What do y'all think of this:

Flew into Huntington one night with a very young 727 FDX captain. Short runway, bad wx. very low vis. He flat out told me, "okay, bra, I'm gonna fly this ILS one dot low the whole way down. It'll put us exactly where I wanna be on the runway." Sounded good to me. The dude flew a great approach exactly like he said he was gonna fly it, and we landed about 1000' feet down and stopped in plenty o' time. I liked it, since most military pilots like to land in the first 500' anyway. How do my civvie bros feel about something like the approach above? Just curious.

Latest resources

Back