Southwest Accident May Be Indicative of Carrier-Specific Problem

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MAGNUM!! said:
"No, I was shaving with a Mach 3, and when you shave with a Mach 3, theres no time to think! If you think, your dead!

Let me guess, when you got to your hotel room, you showered, dried off and played some volleyball too....ICEMAN.

Last edited:
Yes there is a problem at SWA

Look I fly the 737-700 as well. I didn't know that SWA doesn't train pilots on using the Autobrakes or Autothrottles but if that's the case then they definitely have a problem.

1) The training involved with using Autobrakes and Autothrottles is minimal. Pilots can EASILY fly aircraft that have them and don't - it would be nothing short of idiotic to not use autothrottles or autobrakes because "you're not trained in them". I suspect it has more to do with the cost of maintaining - SWA is cheap.

2) SWA does not train to use the VNAV option for the same reason - some of their jets don't have VNAV and they don't want to "confuse the pilots". Another GREAT safety tool.

3) If SWA typically teaches pilots to hand fly all approaches then it has even more serious problems. What would be the rationale for that?

4) You might be able to beat the autobrakes with manual brakes but it often won't work out like that and the autobrakes in general are a much safer option (max/3 autobrakes is expressly for a situation like this one). Heck you can beat the auto spoilers with manual spoilers often as well but that's not a reason to do manual spoiler landings.

5) SWA in general teaches a rush rush atmosphere. Anyone who has been flying for a while realizes this. It works great most of the time but it definitely takes a bite in the safety - usually not enough to cause problems but sometimes it does.

Babylon said:
Look I fly the 737-700 as well. I didn't know that SWA doesn't train pilots on using the Autobrakes or Autothrottles but if that's the case then they definitely have a problem.

No generalization is worth a damn, including this one.

(With apologies to Mark Twain)

Babylon,

Well, it looks like the ambulance chaser has succesfully baited you. There is a big difference from a runway having nil braking at the last 25% when reported as poor versus another accident in which a pilot was way too fast, but go ahead and swallow what the money chasing non-pilot lawyer says hook line and sinker!!

Actually, to correct you, SWA has VNAV on ALL the airplanes but won't let the pilots use them for what they consider SAFETY reasons. They have a philosphical opinion that by having the pilots manually descend the airplane, it FORCES them to be in the loop of what the plane is doing (versus "Oh, apparently it's time to descend" at VNAV airlines). It wasn't a matter of cost or "confusing" the pilots. If it was based on cost, obviously VNAV would save money for more accurate descents. It's just a philosophy. They had the same philosophy for LNAV (Remember AA turning to the wrong fix and into a mountain South America just with the push of a button? And there have been other cases). Changes in ATC forced them to go with the LNAV. You may disagree with the philosophy but so be it, but it wasn't to keep from "confusing" the pilots or to "save" money.

As far as you "hand flying approaches" you obviously are ignorant and inexperienced of the benefits and abilities of the Heads Up Guidance System.

SW doesn't teach rushing. Are you crazy? Who would teach that??

Just because they don't WASTE time like pilots at other carriers trying to find any excuse to milk another minute of pay doesn't mean they rush. Certainly there is a difference between rushing and being efficient. Some of the BS statements on here are incredibily stupid almost as bad as the TV reporters and often simply show jealousy towards a succesful competitor and not missing any chance to bash them. It's dissapoining to see that in the piloting world.

This accident will boil down to braking action in the last quarter of the runway being far less good then what was reported.

Last edited:
satpak77 said:
"needles centered" is the only way to properly fly the ILS, and this is the only way to guarantee obstruction clearance. Flown that way, you WILL land 1000 feet down. You didn't fly the sim at the FDX interview one dot low did you?

didnt think so

Good point.

MAGNUM!! said:
Well, he didn't F it up. Would you rather fly it as pubished, or do the SMART thing and fly it like he did?

I think the whole point of this discussion it that if it can't be done safely as published, it can't be done safely. Period.

Babylon said:
(3) If SWA typically teaches pilots to hand fly all approaches then it has even more serious problems. What would be the rationale for that?

I can tell you from personal experience that a pilot hand-flying an approach with a HGS is infinitely more "in the loop" with regard to awareness of his ship's energy state than is a pilot watching Otto do the heavy lifting. The HGS is so superior there's really no meaningful basis for comparison IMO.

matt1.1 said:
SWA AIRLINES LACK OF USE OF STANDARD BOEING SAFETY FEATURES COMBINE WITH THE RUSH RUSH SWA MENTALITY ARE POSITIVELY CONTRIBUTING FACTORS.

THAT COMBINED WITH THE AGE OF THE CAPTAIN AND HIS INGRAINED SWA ATTITUDES, THIS WAS BOUND TO HAPPEN SOONER RATHER THAN LATER.

WHAT A SHAME IT IS GOING TO TAKE THE DEATH OF A CHILD TO FIX SWA!

I am sorry and I almost hate to aske the question but what does the age of this guy have to do with this accident? How old was the guy who ran off the runway at KBUR, KPHX? Please don't dream up sh!t, just stick to the facts as if you or anyone else has a clue as what really caused this accicent.

Latest resources

Back