Southwest Accident May Be Indicative of Carrier-Specific Problem

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pretty irresponsible

The lawyer is obviously fishing for clients and engaging in shameless speculation.

All this talk about auto-brakes....so what!!!

I'm sure the brakes worked, in auto or manually.

The better question is, how was the ANTI-SKID working that day.

But that will take time, until then, this all just journalistic masturbation.

MAGNUM!! said:
What do y'all think of this:

Flew into Huntington one night with a very young 727 FDX captain. Short runway, bad wx. very low vis. He flat out told me, "okay, bra, I'm gonna fly this ILS one dot low the whole way down. It'll put us exactly where I wanna be on the runway." Sounded good to me. The dude flew a great approach exactly like he said he was gonna fly it, and we landed about 1000' feet down and stopped in plenty o' time. I liked it, since most military pilots like to land in the first 500' anyway. How do my civvie bros feel about something like the approach above? Just curious.

"needles centered" is the only way to properly fly the ILS, and this is the only way to guarantee obstruction clearance. Flown that way, you WILL land 1000 feet down. You didn't fly the sim at the FDX interview one dot low did you?

didnt think so

MAGNUM!! said:
Well, he didn't F it up. Would you rather fly it as pubished, or do the SMART thing and fly it like he did?

Flying one dot low takes away all allowances for error and we all make errors. Especially at 0600 after flying all night! This practice will kill somebody eventually.

You better be glad that CVR's can't be used against you for criminal or civil action. If you briefed that approach that way and f'd it up, you'd be in court or jail for the rest of your natural life.

Unbelievably stupid. Ever heard of LLWS?

quote:
"Would you rather fly it as pubished, or do the SMART thing and fly it like he did?"

Flying one dot low is the smart thing to do on an at-minimums ILS approach??

"Ok brah", Just fly the approach they way it has been designed tested and certified for, needles centered up.

That's the way civies are supposed to be doing it. As for your captain that invents his own techniques, we'll be reading about him someday.

Always amazes me when people think they are smarter than the decades of experts that went before them and engineered all this stuff.

I think it is an inherent need to feel that they are just a little smarter than the rest of us. Ego, all ego.

MAGNUM!! said:
What do y'all think of this:

Flew into Huntington one night with a very young 727 FDX captain. Short runway, bad wx. very low vis. He flat out told me, "okay, bra, I'm gonna fly this ILS one dot low the whole way down. It'll put us exactly where I wanna be on the runway." Sounded good to me. The dude flew a great approach exactly like he said he was gonna fly it, and we landed about 1000' feet down and stopped in plenty o' time. I liked it, since most military pilots like to land in the first 500' anyway. How do my civvie bros feel about something like the approach above? Just curious.

I think both of you will be a statistic one day. Not a question of if, but when.

Latest resources

Back