• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southern Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guess it depends on your background or something. I upgraded to the DC10 from B757 an didnt blink .There were 10 guys in my class 5 757 and 5 320 none had a problem.

To clarify, I didn't mean to imply that it's not doable- lots of guys successfully complete upgrade training directly into the left seat of the classic coming straight over from a glass cockpit.

But it is difficult, especially the holding pattern entries. Heck, after flying mostly FMS equipped Classics these past few months, even I cringe at the thought of having to manually figure out the entry. The FMS is a brain cell vacuum, and the first things to go are holds!

For what it's worth, I also got typed in a DC-10, transitioning directly from a Barbie Jet. I also found it fairly easy.

However, you have to remember that as old as the DC-10's automation is, it's still years ahead of the Classic. The Classic's automation is absolutely Jurassic, and that's where the training department seems to be seeing most issues with new trainees.

Oddly enough, we've also seen the direct opposite; there were a few, shall we say "well seasoned" Classic drivers who had a very hard time when they moved over to the 777. The automation was too much to handle.

At least, that's what I was told by various check air men and members of the training department.

Either way, if you get accepted for a position here, take whatever they offer. It does in fact look as if the company is going to focus primarily on the 777 and 400 from here on out, so it's kinda a moot point.

And to answer a

Guess it depends on your background or something. I upgraded to the DC10 from B757 an didnt blink .There were 10 guys in my class 5 757 and 5 320 none had a problem.

To clarify, I didn't mean to imply that it's not doable- lots of guys successfully complete upgrade training directly into the left seat of the classic coming straight over from a glass cockpit.

But it is difficult, especially the holding pattern entries. Heck, after flying mostly FMS equipped Classics these past few months, even I cringe at the thought of having to manually figure out the entry. The FMS is a brain cell vacuum, and the first things to go are holds!

For what it's worth, I also got typed in a DC-10, transitioning directly from a Barbie Jet. I also found it fairly easy.

However, you have to remember that as old as the DC-10's automation is, it's still years ahead of the Classic. The Classic's automation is absolutely Jurassic, and that's where the training department seems to be seeing most issues with new trainees.

Oddly enough, we've also seen the direct opposite; there were a few, shall we say "well seasoned" Classic drivers who had a very hard time when they moved over to the 777. The automation was too much to handle.

At least, that's what I was told by various check air men and members of the training department.

Either way, if you get accepted for a position here, take whatever they offer. It does in fact look as if the company is going to focus primarily on the 777 and 400 from here on out, so it's kinda a moot point.

And to answer another question, yes, some students are waiting a while for their IOE. It's tough living on training pay until completion of IOE, but guys are doing it. It's a lot easier if you're collecting unemployment; you're technically still unemployed until you finish IOE, so you can really stretch out the benefit. Enjoy your days at home; you'll be on the road soon enough!

Technically 3, as we have one bird flying on a TNT contract, but that's just a CMI operation; we don't own the airplane.

2 more 777's coming online in 2012.

Subject to change.

Do we know yet where and for who these two new ones will be flying? I think I read they were for dhl, but not sure. Will they be for more cvg-bah-hkg-cvg flying or something different? And the TNT contract are mostly dxb turns, right? Thanks.

Last edited:
Do we know yet where and for who these two new ones will be flying? I think I read they were for dhl, but not sure. Will they be for more cvg-bah-hkg-cvg flying or something different? Thanks.

I'm thinking it's probably all DHL. What routes is anyone's guess.

I've also heard of another possible CMI opportunity with Ethiopian, as they're apparently expecting their first 777F's in 2012 as well. Mostly wild rumors fueled by pure speculation, but what the hell- 2012 will either be a very good year for us, or the whole world will come to an end in December, so it's gonna be a fun ride either way!

I'm thinking it's probably all DHL. What routes is anyone's guess.

I've also heard of another possible CMI opportunity with Ethiopian, as they're apparently expecting their first 777F's in 2012 as well. Mostly wild rumors fueled by pure speculation, but what the hell- 2012 will either be a very good year for us, or the whole world will come to an end in December, so it's gonna be a fun ride either way!

Are cmi contracts somewhat risky from a crew's perspective? I figure once the deal ends, the company has little to lose aside from the income, but the pilots, especially junior ones are on the hook for a furlough.... Is that a fair assessment of cmi contracts?

Are cmi contracts somewhat risky from a crew's perspective? I figure once the deal ends, the company has little to lose aside from the income, but the pilots, especially junior ones are on the hook for a furlough.... Is that a fair assessment of cmi contracts?

Unfortunately, my Crystal Ball is in the shop undergoing repairs and upgrades.

As soon as I get it back I'll let you know!

Unfortunately, my Crystal Ball is in the shop undergoing repairs and upgrades.

As soon as I get it back I'll let you know!

Haha!!! That's great. Let me know when you get it back, I've got lots of questions, in case you hadn't noticed!!
I wasnt asking for a prediction, I'm just not that familiar with CMI ops, and was just wondering what the risks associated with them are from a crew members perspective...

TNT 777 goes back to TNT crews in april, the hiring the company is doing now is for the 2 new 777 that come in march and april. the current hiring Has nothing to do with TNT aircraft. SA will only have 4 777 tell 2013.

Last edited:
http://www.aircargonews.net/News/Ethiopian-signs-Southern-ACMI.aspx

16-Nov-2011
ETHIOPIAN Airlines has become the first customer of Southern Air’s new 747-400 freighter fleet after signing a multiple-year ACMI [aircraft, crew, maintenance and insurance] agreement.
Operations are scheduled to begin in early January 2012.
“Our future fleet will be comprised of Southern Air wet-leased 747-400 freighter aircraft and 777F aircraft leased/owned and operated by Ethiopian. This investment in both wet lease and dry lease/owned aircraft by Ethiopian is a strategic plan that will position us as one of the premier cargo operators in the world,” Ethiopian Airlines’ chief executive officer Tewolde GebreMariam stated.
The 747-400SF marks the second milestone of Southern Air’s fleet enhancement following the initiation of 777F service in 2010. Southern Air is the only carrier to offer the 777F for ACMI services.

Latest resources

Back