Southern Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hello All,
had a couple questions I was hoping anyone currently or previously on property could answer.
1) I looked at the payrates on APC and noticed first year is 60$ with a guarantee of 60 hours. So basically 3600 a month to be gone for 20 days (maybe 17) a month.I read that some crews fly nothing while some crews are flying alot.... I'm trying to get an average of how much one could bring home on first or even second year pay.
2) I haven't seen that southern requires a training contract. What is from stopping pilots from going there, getting a type and then going on to pursue other, more lucrative offers?
3) Is there a probationary period?

thank you for your answers!

1. I have been here a little over a year and averaged 15 to 20 days out. That pay sounds right $3565 base. Very rarely do u ever break guarantee. I think i did it once in the past 18months. Perdiem is about a grand a month. So minus taxes and SS and medical i was taking home $3600net out of $4600gross. May not be exact but rough numbers. I am going to upgrade this month so my second year Capt pay will be $106/hr. But we have a funny situation here called a Cpt qualified first officer. They pay u as a Cpt when they use u as a Cpt, but then pay u as an FO when u DH or fly as FO. Kind of suck but it is what it is.

2. I am not sure but the trng contract is gone. i guess nothing stops ya from leaving. But new FOs do not get a type on the classic. 744 and 777 we have just started trng newbies over ther so it is yet to be seen what will happen?

3. Probation is one year. From DOH.

hope it helped and sorry to the spelling and grammar police!

Any and all information being posted as of late is likely to mean not much; Southern is going through a period of explosive growth, in all three airframes. Well, the 777 and 400, anyway, but the 200 will stay at about 8, which is 3 more than what they were planning on just a few months ago.

It's very likely that next year will be an absolute frenzy of flying, and also an absolute mess. Just like when the 777's first came on line, I'm predicting that many of the 400 crews will be out for an involuntarily long time, like Sword's 50-some days last year.

It's an exciting time to be here; I doubt there's anywhere else where you can get hired on and within 12 months be sitting left seat in a widebody.

Management is still operating like it's 2008 and nobody is hiring; as people start leaving here to go elsewhere, I think that will start providing some serious leverage for our new contract negotiations.

Upgrade time is still going to be the quickest in the Classic; if all you have is light twin time (CRJ, ERJ, 757, etc etc) you might want to wait a bit before you move to the left seat, but if you have any heavy international time you could find yourself with 4 stripes really fast.

Scheduling is still screwed up, planning is just an afterthought, and the next 12 months are going to be a wild ride, but if you can stomach it, you'll do fine. At the very least you'll be able to pad your resume with some widebody PIC time, which will really help your resume stand out against a sea of Barbie-jet drivers...

It's an exciting time to be here; I doubt there's anywhere else where you can get hired on and within 12 months be sitting left seat in a widebody.

Kalitta....2 guys in the last classic upgrade class with exactly 9 months at the company.

Kalitta....2 guys in the last classic upgrade class with exactly 9 months at the company.[/QUO

fun.

You need to understand that many of these guys came here with lots of experience. The upgrade training here is no cakewalk. Several people don't make it. The people that make it through training/OE here worked hard to get where they are.

I also wanted to say that we, like Southern, are flying our asses off. Two more 400s (The last ones built I have been told) are coming soon. They are true freighters and have the small attic. One of them supposedly has about 30 hours on it. We also bought another classic from what I hear. All I do are DHL flights any more. Our DHL flying has increased quite a bit. The Classics are also going like gang busters. They do most of the adhoc stuff. Our 400s spend more time in the air than on the ground. They rarely sit for more than 3-4 hours between flights. Times are good so far. It doesn't appear that the world economy has put a damper on the freight business. I hope it stays that way.

Latest resources

Back