• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sorry...I've had it!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IB6 UB9..looks like ALPA might be helping you out...

It can't hurt....and it is better than nothing....

From the ALPA fast read....

During these times of airline turmoil, airlines may be tempted to place artificial restrictions -- specifically, those that do not involve safety concerns -- on using jumpseats. ALPA strongly disagrees with such restrictions and has always maintained that jumpseats should be off limits to any type of dispute that is not related to safety.

ALPA's jumpseat policy, contained in Section 115 of the ALPA Administrative Manual, speaks directly to this subject: "ALPA supports the Captain's authority to exclude any person other than required crew from the flight deck if, in his opinion, that person's presence will compromise safety.
"Denial of jumpseat privileges as a means of punishing, coercing, or retaliating against other pilot groups or individuals is not supported by ALPA. The Jumpseat and/or Professional Standards Representative appointed by the respective Master Executive Council or governing body should resolve disputes that arise between pilots, airlines, or other unions."
ALPA's president, Capt. Duane Woerth, says, "Using jumpseats to retaliate against an individual, pilot group, or company is not only wrong. It could also result in violations of the Railway Labor Act, if pilots took those actions to harm a company during collective bargaining." Gigantic fines could be levied against a pilot group if its members misused jumpseats in this way.
"The jumpseat is a mutually beneficial tool that helps airlines and pilots by enhancing safety, security, and efficiency," Capt. Woerth noted. "Both parties must guard against any activities that may damage the viability of that invaluable resource."

you assume that anyone gives a crap about Duane Woerth's spewings. i know i don't.

another addition to the thread that won't die.

Palomino said:
you assume that anyone gives a crap about Duane Woerth's spewings. i know i don't.

another addition to the thread that won't die.
I think it's time the government step in and do something about the jumpseat problem. Possibly pass some regulation, like the "Live in the town you work in Act".

IB6 UB9 said:
Tonight I was denied the jumpseat on an NWA 757, 1/2 full, last flight of the night, because of where I am employeed. Because of this and recent events, and the disrespect towards my fellow employees displayed over the last 15-18 months...many of whom are furloughed from an ALPA carrier, some of whom are furloughed from this ALPA carrier, I will no longer accept an NWA employee on my jumpseat.

No reason to be sorry, just state "I've had it". Remember, this is only one person from a 5000+ pilot group.

Quote from another board:

"There is a very good chance that offline jumpseat riding on union airlines will be coming to an end, unless you have a union card on top of your JB ID. This has been brewing for a while now, but it will be happening probably in 2007. Expect Delta to be the first one to implement this followed by NWA".

Discuss!

Rez O. Lewshun said:
It can't hurt....and it is better than nothing....

From the ALPA fast read....

During these times of airline turmoil, airlines may be tempted to place artificial restrictions -- specifically, those that do not involve safety concerns -- on using jumpseats. ALPA strongly disagrees with such restrictions and has always maintained that jumpseats should be off limits to any type of dispute that is not related to safety.

ALPA's jumpseat policy, contained in Section 115 of the ALPA Administrative Manual, speaks directly to this subject: "ALPA supports the Captain's authority to exclude any person other than required crew from the flight deck if, in his opinion, that person's presence will compromise safety.
"Denial of jumpseat privileges as a means of punishing, coercing, or retaliating against other pilot groups or individuals is not supported by ALPA. The Jumpseat and/or Professional Standards Representative appointed by the respective Master Executive Council or governing body should resolve disputes that arise between pilots, airlines, or other unions."
ALPA's president, Capt. Duane Woerth, says, "Using jumpseats to retaliate against an individual, pilot group, or company is not only wrong. It could also result in violations of the Railway Labor Act, if pilots took those actions to harm a company during collective bargaining." Gigantic fines could be levied against a pilot group if its members misused jumpseats in this way.
"The jumpseat is a mutually beneficial tool that helps airlines and pilots by enhancing safety, security, and efficiency," Capt. Woerth noted. "Both parties must guard against any activities that may damage the viability of that invaluable resource."

I got an email on this yesterday. Me and DW are tight now and as a result he came out with this. Go ALPA! (Should I have this printed and laminated and hand it to the Captain when requesting a jumpseat?)

Occam's Razor said:
OMG!

Every one would have to live in their base!!!!

Horror!

Blanche DuBois said it best....

Or just commute on their own airline.

IB6 UB9 said:
I got an email on this yesterday. Me and DW are tight now and as a result he came out with this. Go ALPA! (Should I have this printed and laminated and hand it to the Captain when requesting a jumpseat?)

Use the thick card stock laminate.... oh and a Starbucks card descretly placed in between your Airman certificate and ALPA card.... The icing on the cake wold be a badge backer with anti 9E and XJ rhetoric.... Even the most disgruntled NWA Capt can't turn you down!!

Was that you and DW at the Caps game at the MCI Center?

skiav8tor said:
Hey IB6,

You might appreciate this one...I was going home from OSC, on WN...I walked up to the counter behind a NW guy, and after two WN Captains...so, there I was 4th in line for an airplane with 2 jumpseats, and every seat full...I, very nicely asked, and the gate agent turned to the 2 WN js'ers, looked to make sure the NW guy had left the area, and said to me, 'don't worry, we're gonna take you, and he (NW) can take the next flight, we like you guys!'. One of their own took the F/A jumpseat. Southwest...a class act! As far as the guy that denied you...I'm sure that is not the norm at NW, at least I hope not...!?!?!

Hmmm...so it's o.k. to favor you even though
the NWA guy was in line 1st? Doen't sound like a "class act" to me. Sounds like they didn't get him on because he was NWA. Thats NO different than the post that started this whole thread. (which, by the way, we've only heard one side of the story).

Latest resources

Back