Sorry...I've had it!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GoABX said:
If the decision is made before you meet the jumpseater because of a demographic group (except for scabs) then it might not be a sound decision.

I know this is unpopular but carrying a sign for 25 months earns me the right to disagree with this statement.

The reason is twofold. What better of a captive audience do you have then with someone who needs a lesson on unionism? Although these days I have a very difficult time defending ALPA as it has become a gutless and political organization interested in one thing only. Dues.

Second, make no mistake, the scab you deny today will certainly take retribution on that carriers pilots who someday is just trying to get home or to work.

It is like the Isreali's and the Arabs. They will never agree, they will continue tit for tat attacks. In the end no one wins.

Last edited:
Boeingman said:
The company ultimatley owns the jumpseat.

Not at NWA. The NWA pilots secured jumpseat authority in their contract. The company can't issue a policy that interferes with the Captain's authority to either grant or deny a jumpseat. If a Captain decided to deny someone a jumpseat at NWA, then the company has no authority to interfere.

PCL_128 said:
Not at NWA. The NWA pilots secured jumpseat authority in their contract. The company can't issue a policy that interferes with the Captain's authority to either grant or deny a jumpseat. If a Captain decided to deny someone a jumpseat at NWA, then the company has no authority to interfere.

Key word PCL is ultimatly. While what you are saying has merit today at face value never forget that contracts can be broken and restrictions placed outside of written language in existence. If the situation becomes a thorne in their side. Make no mistake if the company decides to break some balls, the lawyers will find a way around anything.
Restrictions, caveats who knows? Don't kid yourself.

NWA's contract is about to be gutted again as Steenland seems to be on a quest over their to break the unions. The last thing that would make me feel warm and fuzzy at NWA these days is a cba with their management while in bankruptcy.

NW guys, please identify these clowns to your own pilot group and police these idiots before this turn really stupid. Thanks!

Trust me, the vast majority are furious over this kind of BS from our fellow pilots. NWA is a "commuter" airline with most of our employees living out of bases, and we well know the recipricocity needed for all of us to get to work.

In all fairness to this Captain though, what was the nature of the interaction between the JS and the PIC? Was it "you are not riding becuase you are JB" or was the JS presumtious or rude "I have your JS"?

Not right, but there are a lot of people on edge right now, looking for someone to vent on.

I apologize on behalf of the few idiots in our ranks, and hope this is the rare exception.

Personally I try and be real nice to you guys - I might need a reccomendation real soon :cool:

Last edited:
PCL_128 said:

If that authority continues to be abused it may get taken away.
Jumpseat wars have no winners.
If the guy is on the list, approriately attired, and has valid credentials he should get a ride. I don't appreciate JBlu guys trying to get an exemption to the 8 hour rule and agreeing to fly E-190's for RJ rates. But they are welcome to a ride anytime and I don't even make my opinions known to them. It's just not worth getting into a pissing contest.

My commuting days are coming to an end but I'll always be grateful for the hospitality shown by UA, F9, WN, CO, AS, AWA, QX and DL crews for doing what they could to get me home or to work.

IB6 UB9 said:
Somewhere back someone questioned whether the other jumpseater had priority. Please correct me if I am wrong...but I thought the current policy was no matter what equipment, NWA will carry two offline jumpseaters. I believe the other jumpseater was a NW pilot. .

IB6 UB9;

We are only allowed to carry offline jumpseaters on a per jumpseat basis.
A320 2 jumpseats=2 offline pilots, B757 1 jumpseat=1 offline jumpseater etc..

That being said; often a NWA guy will take a FA jumpseat (if open) or use a pass to get a offline guy on. I did that on my last commute so we could get a
Independance Air gal on out of BDL.

Some guys don't give a shi# and put on as many jumpseaters as there are open seats! But we are not supposed to do that.

I like to have as many extra "crew members" as possible on board! Which all jumpseaters are considered at NWA.

Again sorry for your experience on NWA, we have some real idiots here, you wonder how they have gotten this far in life treating people like that?

Dave B

Fly4hire said:
Trust me, the vast majority are furious over this kind of BS from our fellow pilots. NWA is a "commuter" airline with most of our employees living out of bases, and we well know the recipricocity needed for all of us to get to work.

In all fairness to this Captain though, what was the nature of the interaction between the JS and the PIC? Was it "you are not riding becuase you are JB" or was the JS presumtious or rude "I have your JS"?

Not right, but there are a lot of people on edge right now, looking for someone to vent on.

I apologize on behalf of the few idiots in our ranks, and hope this is the rare exception.

Personally I try and be real nice to you guys - I might need a reccomendation real soon :cool:

I have been a commuter for years. I ride on a few different carriers and I ALWAYS approach the flight deck with the exact same professionalism...and due to recent events, especially when I ride on NWA. This particular time was no different. The crew was in the middle of a checklist, I waited until they were finished, then offered my hand to the Captain, introduced myself, and ASKED for the jumpseat. (I was in uniform). He told me he could not accomodate me, I very politely asked "can you tell me why that is", and he became abrasive and indignant with me. You can read about the rest of it near the start of this thread.

furloughed dude said:
Alot of folks think Jetblue helped lower the "standard" and have changed the way pilots are compensated. The -190 rates are setting the standard for 100 seat jet rates, and they are an embarrassment. Also, the move toward changing the 8 hour workday is also a factor.

Jetblue has thumbed their nose on unions and some of the legacy carriers don't like it.

Whether you like it or not, these attitudes exist. I know I felt uneasy trying to jumpseat when I worked at Jetblue. I don't see this changing anytime soon. I am not saying it is right using the jumpseat as a political tool, but it is one area a captain can voice his disapproval.

Why not try jumpseating on another carrier?

Still pretending you used to work at Jetblue, huh?

Let me know how that works out for you.

Fly4hire said:

True words my friend. And don't piss off your first officer, you never know when you might be swinging the gear for him/her in your next job.

Cheers!

dbrownie said:
IB6 UB9;

We are only allowed to carry offline jumpseaters on a per jumpseat basis.
A320 2 jumpseats=2 offline pilots, B757 1 jumpseat=1 offline jumpseater etc..

That being said; often a NWA guy will take a FA jumpseat (if open) or use a pass to get a offline guy on. I did that on my last commute so we could get a
Independance Air gal on out of BDL.

Some guys don't give a shi# and put on as many jumpseaters as there are open seats! But we are not supposed to do that.

I like to have as many extra "crew members" as possible on board! Which all jumpseaters are considered at NWA.

Again sorry for your experience on NWA, we have some real idiots here, you wonder how they have gotten this far in life treating people like that?

Dave B

so if this is company policy then the Captain followed procedure. it was a 757 with the sole jumpseat already occupied. are we going to continue to beat this horse carcass?

it's funny as we get more info on the other side of the story that the evil mask seems to be peeling off of this NWA Captain.

move on with life. people get bumped out of the jumpseat. this time the odds were against you. it happens.

as i see it the Captain did his job whether you like it or not.

Latest resources

Back