• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sorry...I've had it!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Alot of folks think Jetblue helped lower the "standard" and have changed the way pilots are compensated. The -190 rates are setting the standard for 100 seat jet rates, and they are an embarrassment. Also, the move toward changing the 8 hour workday is also a factor.

Jetblue has thumbed their nose on unions and some of the legacy carriers don't like it.

Whether you like it or not, these attitudes exist. I know I felt uneasy trying to jumpseat when I worked at Jetblue. I don't see this changing anytime soon. I am not saying it is right using the jumpseat as a political tool, but it is one area a captain can voice his disapproval.

Why not try jumpseating on another carrier?

the tide has turned and everyone is now defending the Captain's right to be an A$$. Because he has the right to deny a jumpseat, does that make every excuse acceptable?

"I don't give jumpseats to . . .
Blacks
Women
Fat people
JetBlue/Southwest/Airtran pilots
PFT's
French people
(fill in the blank)"

Are all these acceptable because he is the captain? If the decision is made before you meet the jumpseater because of a demographic group (except for scabs) then it might not be a sound decision.

Take this in the spirit it is intended.

Perhaps this could have all been avoided if you had offered to help clean the cabin!

WOW, this time it took 63 whole posts before some genius chimed in with the cleaning the cabin thing!!! I think that's a record.

furloughed dude said:
Jetblue has thumbed their nose on unions and some of the legacy carriers don't like it.

Not sure I agree with you here. I think a lot of pilots at JetBlue feel the unions have thumbed their noses at us...after we paid our dues for years.

Like I said...

FredFlyer....you can always count on me......like I said, take it in the spirit in which is was intended.....since we got the "Bringing the industry down, and got the "cleaning the cabin out of the way", we only need one more to complete the tri-fecta...

By the way, is it true that JetBlue doesn't pay for their airplanes and as soon as they have to, they will lose money, ask for concessions from their non-union group and..........back to the first subject..."Bring the industry down further? (that is what is known as coming full circle)

oops...there it is! And yes.....I am a genius.

IB6 UB9 said:
Are we in agreement that he needs a good reason.
No, we aren't in agreement on that. The Captain shouldn't have to explain to anyone about why he denied someone a jumpseat. I'm certainly not defending the reasoning of the guys denying you a jumpseat simply because you work at JetBlue, but it is their choice. If he doesn't want to give any reason at all, then again, that's his choice. Taking away this bit of Captain's authority isn't something we want to do.

jakal,
Sorry, keeping track is just sort of a hobby of mine (since bringing down the industry doesn't take all my time), I didn't read the header in your post.

PCL_128 said:
Taking away this bit of Captain's authority isn't something we want to do.

People that abuse their "authority" to mask the true reason of a denial out of vindictiveness and ignorance is a travesty and childish. Trying to whitewash this down to an authority issue is weak. True the Captain does have the "authority" but it must be used responsibly.

Crap like this ruin it for all and at some point management may just decide these children are not responsible enough to have this authority and revoke jumpseating all togethor for the entire airline. The company ultimatley owns the jumpseat.

Last edited:
No worries

No worries Fred......now will ya please go wipe down the lav and pick up that newspaper in 12B......the guys up front might want to read it.

Jumpseat on us, we won't even make you help load or unload the purple boxes.....that is unless you don't bring cookies.

Latest resources

Back