• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

some reported united contract details

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No dog in the fight, BUT, if it's true the CAL folks have been being paid at a higher rate/higher overall package, then I see no reason not to give the UAL folks a bigger % of the retro pie, if there is any, to make everyone even over the period with no contract.
Overall package nearly the same. CAL higher pay, UAL better workrules, lower medical premiums, higher B contribution. See MIT Total Pilot Cost.

The 2011 number is obviously bogus but you can see from 2005-2010 it is 3% or less difference.

If retro is only on wages then UAL should get more than CAL although it would be less than a straight difference because retro would be based on 3 years of backpay for UAL but 4 years of backpay for CAL. This may be the argument UAL leaned on when they asked for a 70/30 split of the $400m (or was it 80/20). Plus UAL has more pilots.

If retro is based on the "overall package" then the retro split would favor CAL since UAL and CAL are nearly equal in the overall pilot cost but CAL has an extra year of packpay due, although this would be mitigated somewhat by UAL having more pilots.

It appears that the arbitrator just split it by simple numbers of pilots in each group, $225m to UAL, $175m to CAL, a 56%/44% split, just about the same split as the total pilots in each group.

Bottom line, it's a no vote without 100% retro to 100% of the UAL pilots and 100% of the CAL pilots.

Last edited:
Who cares what the retro payout looks like and who gets what percentage---this TA SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! If this gets past our MECs, it will be time to clean house! WAFJ this is after 4 years of negotiations....... I can't believe the clowns on the NC even brought this to our MECs. PATHETIC.

so if this is true, we're lowering the bar from HAL's 2010 contract rather than raising the bar from DAL's 2012? I'm not buying it... no way the MEC is even considering sending this out for a vote.

not with the looming pilot shortage and all as the WSJ is telling us today.

The whole thing is an abject failure (it would appear), but let me highlight one item for my L-UAL bretheren, and for anyone who thinks they would like to work for this sheethole: Mgt desires the right to deny a fake deadhead. There won't be a time in this airline's history [merger] when that would make a bigger difference to your QOL, and they want to take it. That is pure hate; That's the Lorenzo stink that hangs over continenetal. Wont cost them a thing, they simply want to control you, take your time away from you, and try ruin your life.

My rep looked at this and said some of it's true and some of it's false. My gut tells me the MECs don't want to pass it but there is probably some sort of threat or intimidation being brought by the NMB.

The whole thing is an abject failure (it would appear), but let me highlight one item for my L-UAL bretheren, and for anyone who thinks they would like to work for this sheethole: Mgt desires the right to deny a fake deadhead. There won't be a time in this airline's history [merger] when that would make a bigger difference to your QOL, and they want to take it. That is pure hate; That's the Lorenzo stink that hangs over continenetal. Wont cost them a thing, they simply want to control you, take your time away from you, and try ruin your life.

My rep looked at this and said some of it's true and some of it's false. My gut tells me the MECs don't want to pass it but there is probably some sort of threat or intimidation being brought by the NMB.

What's a fake deadhead?

Why are the CO reps leaking stuff out?

Last edited:
Example: When L-UAL took IAH-Lima from L-CAL, the trip started and ended with a DH from ORD. CAL contract would provide the option to "fake" DH for a pilot who lived in Houston to fly the trip and skip going to ORD on either end. What CAL mgt wants is to force that pilot to commute to ORD and sit on the airplane for both DHs. It's their way of having more pilots they can reassign or have as reseerves. As we all adjust and wait to be advanced to our new BESs, this will be a huge issue.

IMHO: The CAL MEC is leaking info because something is about to go haywire. Idk, maybe I'm wrong. I wouldn't doubt it if jeff tries to get this contract imposed by Congress. Or something outside the box like that.

Last edited:
CAL PBS would be the deal-breaker for me, as well as fake dhd. It's mgmt controlling lives for the sake of control.

I'll vote no on pay banding alone. 767 pays the same as a 747....give me a break...just an attempted seniority grab by CAL. Same ole pilot group.

I'll take the bait. Currently a 767-400 pays $2/hr more than a 747. So what's wrong with them paying the same in the future? However like Flop said, no one cares what your motivation to vote no is, as long as you do vote no! :)

Example: When L-UAL took IAH-Lima from L-CAL, the trip started and ended with a DH from ORD. CAL contract would provide the option to "fake" DH for a pilot who lived in Houston to fly the trip and skip going to ORD on either end. What CAL mgt wants is to force that pilot to commute to ORD and sit on the airplane for both DHs. It's their way of having more pilots they can reassign or have as reseerves. As we all adjust and wait to be advanced to our new BESs, this will be a huge issue.

IMHO: The CAL MEC is leaking info because something is about to go haywire. Idk, maybe I'm wrong. I wouldn't doubt it if jeff tries to get this contract imposed by Congress. Or something outside the box like that.

Thanks for the info.

Latest resources

Back