• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Some Fool at Flex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It seems the "hush" money DG threw out is working for some. But, I don't believe we received any job protection with the hush money. I for one would like legal representation if I'm ever called in for the carpet dance. I'll enjoy the money, but it was #4 on my wish list.

Great. Good for you. I am happy that you have it. But yall paint this false sense of security that one can have with a union. All you have to do is look at the airlines to see that the union can only do so much. Its a proven fact that with a union, you can still be furloughed. You can loose you pension. Your medical can go up. And the list goes on.

I work for Flex. I was highlighting what I would get in return for my 1.5% union dues.

Yes, you can get furloughed, but not out of seniority.

Yes, you can lose your pension. Why is anybody in their right mind still counting on these? Put your pension and social security in one hand and crap in the other. See what fills up faster. Seriously, we make a lot of money. Pay yourself first by saving for retirement.

Yes, your pay can go down, but not unless agreed upon by the union.

Yes, your medical can go up. Perhaps a large company like Bombardier can actually get quality insurance instead of what they force upon us. Check that. Those goofy canucks think they get healthcare for free while being taxed through the nose.

Ref,
We are not FLOPS, nor are we about to be. A strong union with quality leadership can do great things for BOTH the company and it's members. At some point HIG is going to lay the law down on FLOPS management and tell them enough with this bickering, settle the contract, and let's start making money.
We're already making money. Hand over fist in fact. How much money would it cost to open crew bases in places like GSO, ATL, IAD, MDW, and STL? We and our airplanes end up there all the time. How much money does it take to install a simple 10 item rolling menu for crewmembers to order their catering off of? God only knows how much money we're giving scare chef for their sh*t on a shingle lunches. Not to mention how much stock is consumed by the crews who are looking for something palatable to eat. How much money would it take to resolve our rest issues? Some I grant you as we'd actually have to plan ahead and possibly charter instead of the hair on fire screw the crew routine we're running now.
We're not NJ's. We're not FLOPS either. Flex is on the brink of being a helluva great place to work, but it's not going to happen without a united pilot group pushing management for it. I'd rather stay here and make it what it could be instead of starting over at the bottom of NJ's seniority list.
The bottom line is that our true QOL issues were completely ignored with our latest benefits package. How sad. It looks like this round goes to Flex mgt. and the union busting company held on retainer by them. Our pay is now darn near what it needs to be (upper end guys got shafted and at least need COLA) and in my mind is one less thing that would need to be negotiated. Everyone should send in their cards so that the Flex pilot group could at least vote on whether or not we want a union at all. As of right now we don't even have that option.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
Exactly!!!! If it weren't for the NJA guy's we'd have squat. All we did was inherit the good fortune of anothers merit. Still you cannot cash your check until May. So we don't have anything, but promises.
"...There are those who balk at the fight. They place their confidence in management instead of their fellow workers.

Management feeds on this weakness by handing out PROMISES like candy and quickly renegging if the workers lose the election.

But Management MUST be held Accountable.

As Teamsters we fight for what's right for working families.

-- James P Hoffa --

Also, unless I was told wrong, fo's at NJ only pay 35 bucks a month and captains pay the 1.5%.

Not sure if it's incorrect or old info, but that's not the case now. We all pay 1.56% of our gross pay each check. For me, a second-year guy on the 7/7, that equates to about $35 per biweekly paycheck on the base pay.

Great. Good for you. I am happy that you have it. But yall paint this false sense of security that one can have with a union. All you have to do is look at the airlines to see that the union can only do so much. Its a proven fact that with a union, you can still be furloughed. You can loose you pension. Your medical can go up. And the list goes on.

The airlines have only given back when they had to and 99% of the time it was to protect pilots from being furloughed. The latest round with United/USAir/NWA had to give in because the airlines were in Bankruptcy court ( Which all of the had Pro Bussiness/Anti Labor). If the unions did not come to the table then Management could have forced the changes ( Hey alot like Flex) on the pilots. Let me tell you those contracts really sucked.
So by working out new contracts the pilots saved hundreds of jobs but had language that requires the airline to re-open negotiations once the airline hits certain economic thresholds and call all pilots back before they hire off the street(Flex does not have to hire you back)
Now lets talk about safety. Say you are landing at CHS and as you cross the threshold a C-5 powers up and you scrape a wing tip. Flex: Danger of being fired. Union Shop: Union protects your job. So yes the Union can provide alot of security that a non union shop can not.

I was not at Flex when they laid folks off. I can not imagine them just randomly laying folks off out of seniority order. There must of been other circumstances.

Hiya TWA. Something I want to point out here, which I think a lot of Flex folks overlook. You agree that you want changes at flex? or that flex needs changes? whatever sounds better... and yes, there is a new committee to look at duty/rest stuff (i didn't know they started yet, so great). But, do you know WHY that committee got started? Because of people on this board (and the BB) who put they neck out and push for changes. It may seem like we are just complaining, but if folks didn't get on the BB and "complain" then nothing will ever get change.d If everybody posts happy "thanks DG!!" messages, why would management ever change a thing? That committee is a direct results of the recent posts pilots have made about rest and duty violations/issues. fifty bucks and my left n...er...just fifty bucks, says that if those pilots did not post on the BB, and instead sent a crew feedback email, or nothing at all, then the committee would not have been put together.

I ask you this then, what have you done to help get some positive changes around here? I post on the BB (with my real name of course), I write to my Chiefs, I fill in asap reports, I email the crew feedback folks, and I talk to the CAB members. What have you done lately?

Ignore me if you want, but "complainers" like me are partially, if not directly, responsible for the positive changes you see at Flex. I'm a good pilot, professional on the clock, an asset to this company, and I am really am working hard for changes, and it frustrates me to no end when I see people label me, and others, as simple complainers. Which group produces more results around here: the "kool-aid" drinkers or the vocal "complainers." Assuming the complainers have a valid point, I'd put my money on them.

If you think flex needs some changes, then do something about instead of just being "average"

nothing personal by the way. just saying get involved, but at the very least dont get in the way.

BINGO !!!

Not to mention the fact it is tax deductable.

Also, unless I was told wrong, fo's at NJ only pay 35 bucks a month and captains pay the 1.5%.

Anyone over there care to confirm this?
that's 35buck that I can put to better use than paying someone else to find ways to make my life worse. Teamsters is useless as is ALPA, APA.

Latest resources

Back