Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So what's the story on this latest 400 flameout?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Of the couple planes that I have flown, not one of them require anti-ice on in the descent with ignitors and boost pumps on as well. These are band aid fixes for a current unknown problem on the 400XP. At FSI, they told us that anti-ice on in the descent is worthless. I guess the boost pumps and ignitors would be essential before your descent if your already planning on a dual engine flame out to begin with though.....

Raytheon had better figure this out soon.

Last edited:
pamed19 said:
Core lock sounds serious to this owner/passenger.Is the 400a safe to fly?

Depends on your defination of "safe".

The ignitors on for decent is basically a poor man's auto re-lite. Anything is worth a shot at this stage.

I have money that if this plane was a Cessna it would be grounded already. However Raytheon has many friends in high places that love the missles they make.

RNObased said:
Depends on your defination of "safe".

The ignitors on for decent is basically a poor man's auto re-lite. Anything is worth a shot at this stage.

I have money that if this plane was a Cessna it would be grounded already. However Raytheon has many friends in high places that love the missles they make.

Agreed. If the feds grounded it, Raytheon, and operators would be up in arms. Politics and $$$ seem to over ride safety in this case.

Pamed19...as a Beechjet pilot...here are my 2 cents:

I would have to agree with you two.....however, our job is risk management. There is NO safe airplane, some are just safer than others and some are operated safer than others. I don't know why the beechjet is having these issues all of the sudden...it could be design, it could be operator error, it could be pilot error, it could be a mx procedure error...we just don't know and they are not telling us. Many aircraft have come up against issues over the years that wouldn't be considered un-safe aircraft:

747's Fuel pumps in the center tank ...TWA that blew up
737's Rudder problems
Airbus 300 Vertical Tail departed aircraft do to operator error and design
B-52 early models had tails that fell off in turbulence
......and many others

My point is that no aircraft or flight is safe...we try and mitigate those errors to provide the safest, most economical, comfortable and on-time flights we can. My only concern that I voiced earlier on this thread is the utter lack of communication from Raytheon, P&W and Flops to the pilots, owners and operators of the Beechjets. This is starting to cross the unethical line in my mind. If they don't know, say so. If they do know, let us know so it can be fixed or we can operate differently so not to have this happen again. Just tell us so we can make informed decisions. Am I afraid to fly the beechjet now? Absolutely not! I do however operate it differently to mitigate what I consider the problem to be.

Pamed19, I will not tell you that the Beechjet is "unsafe" because I don't have enough information to make that call yet. My suggestion is to tell you that you are an owner. As an owner, I would be on the phone with Raytheon, Flops, FAA, NTSB, and Pratt and Whitney to demand some answers. Ask the tough questions, listen to their answers and decide for yourself if the beechjet is unsafe. Like I said, it may not be the plane...it could be fuelers, mx, pilots, weather or aliens!

Last edited:
Pamed19 -- as an owner (and not a pilot) I emplore you to continue your quest for knowledge. Read this board (but don't believe all you read -- you shouldn't even in the New York Times or Wall Street Journal), andread trade publications like Business and Commercial Aviation (the best $35 a year I have spent since becoming an owner). You will learn alot.

I don not know the safetey of the Beechjet. But I do know that a well trained crew and a well maintained plane and a good program increase your odds tremedously. Almost problem I read about is a compounding of many stupid human errors. Not one, not 2, not 3, not 4 but like 5 -- plus a cheap operator. That is why the major frax are more expensive than charter brokers. Training, maintenance and de-icing fluid cost $$ and someone has to pay for it or not use it.

Fly safe.

P.S. -- since youhave not been scorched on this board I realized I should have been NJAOwneress. Since you name starts with "pam" you are treated much nicer.

At FSI, they told us that anti-ice on in the descent is worthless.

This statement is not true. Turning engine anti-ice on reduces pressure in the compressor which then reduces the chance for a compressor stall. Then again, so does pulling back the power.....

400pilot said:
This statement is not true. Turning engine anti-ice on reduces pressure in the compressor which then reduces the chance for a compressor stall. Then again, so does pulling back the power.....

I guess what I meant to say was that turning on the A/I is not a fix to the current issue concerning the 400XP.....that is how FSI put it.....for whatever thats worth.

The barometric formula, sometimes called the exponential atmosphere, is a formula used to model how the pressure (or density) of the air changes with altitude. It is based on the simplifying (not very realistic) assumption that the temperature does not depend on altitude. However, this formula agrees reasonably well with the actual pressure and density variations above the earth's surface up to a height of about 450,000 ft (140 km).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/e/d/e/edeecbbd4ec5ba9a2d2691ec6bf7f57c.png or
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/8/5/1/851575814d5db74077f80470ca551028.png where h is the scale height, ρ (rho) is density, P is pressure, P0 is pressure at ground level (mean sea level pressure is 1013.25 hPa), M = 0.029 kg mol-1 (the mass of 1 mole of air), R = 8.314 J K-1 mol-1 is the gas constant, T is temperature, g0 is the acceleration due to gravity (about 9.8 m s-2 depending on your location, see g) and z is the vertical height above the earth's surface.
Using the same principles, the above equation can be solved for altitude as a function of pressure. This formulation is known as the hypsometric equation.
As a rule of thumb, the pressure decreases by about 1% for every 80 metres increase in altitude.
An alternative rule of thumb, density decreases by half every 20,000 feet (6000 m) below the tropopause, and every 15,000 (4500 m) feet above the tropopause to the stratopause.

Latest resources

Back