Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So what's the story on this latest 400 flameout?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pamed19 said:
Where do you get this info? I have been looking all over for confirmation.As you know from a previous post of mine I am a very reluctant owner in a share of a 400a. Although the FLOPS pilots are wonderful and I have complete confidence in them I am worried.I have this as the 5th flame out recently-4 Beechjets and 1 CII.

NJA sent this information out to their 400XP pilots in a confidential email the day after the incident happened. NJA received the information from Raytheon, I believe.

tk855 said:
NJA sent this information out to their 400XP pilots in a confidential email the day after the incident happened. NJA received the information from Raytheon, I believe.
Thanks

pamed19 said:
Where do you get this info? I have been looking all over for confirmation.As you know from a previous post of mine I am a very reluctant owner in a share of a 400a. Although the FLOPS pilots are wonderful and I have complete confidence in them I am worried.I have this as the 5th flame out recently-4 Beechjets and 1 CII.

Not saying it didn't happen, but don't believe it until you see it printed from an official source. A "confidential e-mail" does not count as such. . .

guido411 said:
Not saying it didn't happen, but don't believe it until you see it printed from an official source. A "confidential e-mail" does not count as such. . .

So you are saying the people who sent this email to the pilots at NJA are lying??? Hmm... Mangement at NJA may lie about a lot of things, but engine flameouts aren't one of them. The info came straight from the engine maker. It happened.....

Just caught up to this thread tonight. I had posted a seperate thread in the General section a few days ago. I was on the same ATC frequency as the Beechjet that reported the problem. We were in a Lear 60 at FL400 in southern Virginia and talking to Center.

Center was very busy with air traffic and the Beechjet broke into the frequency with a quick "Mayday, Mayday" or "Break, Break" (can't remember the exact phrase used, but it was urgent). They then stated, "Beechjet N???? declaring emergency, dual engine flameout." Center asked for a confirmation of the emergnecy. Beechjet responded, "Affirmative, declaring an emergency, both engines have failed, unable to maintain altitude and request vectors to the nearest airport." Center responded with a vector towards Norfolk (ORF). They were then cleared to a lower altitude. Each transmission from the pilots' voices indicated a very high stress level. In fact, I have never quite heard that panic sound in any pilots voice. I imagine they were very busy navigating to ORF and trying to relight.

In any case, we got a frequency change and attempted to monitor this situation with the other radio. However, we quickly got out of range and last I heard, they were through FL240 with no relight yet, still getting vectored to ORF. Through hearsay, I heard they got one relit and that they landed safely. Lack of news reports probably confirms that.

Also hearsay....I understood the problem to be a poor mixture of prist in the fuel. Who knows? Well, that is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Gee, is it any wonder Raytheon is now coming out with a oil to fuel heat exchange for the 400? With all the "oopsies" with refuelers forgetting prist I've seen, I'm really glad I'm in a plane that comes standard with one now.

WrknStff said:
Gee, is it any wonder Raytheon is now coming out with a oil to fuel heat exchange for the 400? With all the "oopsies" with refuelers forgetting prist I've seen, I'm really glad I'm in a plane that comes standard with one now.

Actually, went throught FSI recurrent on the 400XP several months ago and they were saying that the problem is starting between the wing and engine and that a fuel/oil heater exchanger isnt going to be the fix. That is what ICT FSI is telling everyone.

Guitar rocker said:
Actually, went throught FSI recurrent on the 400XP several months ago and they were saying that the problem is starting between the wing and engine and that a fuel/oil heater exchanger isnt going to be the fix. That is what ICT FSI is telling everyone.
What is a FSI recurrent?The only background I have in this area is "passenger".Also ICT.I will say that this board is teaching me many things about aircraft that I had no idea existed!

pamed19 said:
What is a FSI recurrent?The only background I have in this area is "passenger".Also ICT.I will say that this board is teaching me many things about aircraft that I had no idea existed!

"FSI recurrent" is recurrent flight training that is, in this case, conducted by FSI - Flight Safety International. FSI is one of the large pilot training providers. Recurrent training is required by the FAA of captains every 6 months and many of the fractionals put their first officers through the same or similar training on a 6-to-12 month rotation. Recurrent training includes ground school to review systems, performance, etc. along with simulator training emphasizing emergency situations. This training culminates in an oral exam and a checkride in the simulator.

Latest resources

Back