Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So what's the story on this latest 400 flameout?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RNObased said:
Because if they know they aren't saying. There is a issue here and something needs to be done. If this plane were a airliner the fleet would be grounded by now. Plane made me nervous when I flew it. The good news is that they got a relight on it, thank god.
Where can I find a report on this?

Here are two of them from the NTSB site:

NTSB Identification: ENG04IA021
Nonscheduled 14 CFR Part 135: Air Taxi & Commuter
Incident occurred Monday, July 12, 2004 in Sarasota, FL
Aircraft: Raytheon Corporate Jets Beechjet 400N, registration: N455CW
Injuries: 9 Uninjured.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On July 12, 2004, at about 1210 EDT, a Beechjet 400A, N455CW, lost all power from both of the installed Pratt & Whitney Canada (PWC) JT15D engines while descending from flight level (FL) 410 to FL 330 over the Gulf of Mexico about 100 miles west of Sarasota, Florida. The pilots reported that they were cruising at FL 410 in instrument meteorological conditions and air traffic control had cleared the airplane to descend to FL 330. The pilots further stated that after they initiated the descent as they were passing through FL 390, they felt a jolt and heard a bang. About 30 seconds later, the pilots stated that they realized the airplane was losing cabin pressure. The pilots stated that they declared an emergency and went through the emergency descent checklist. The pilots stated that at about FL 350, they noticed that every cockpit warning light was illuminated and that both engines were not operating. The pilots stated that after several attempts, they were able to get the No. 2 (right) engine restarted at about 14,000 feet. The pilots stated that after they got the No. 2 engine restarted, they elected to divert to Sarasota because they were relatively close. The airplane was operating on an instrument flight rules flight plan under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 135 from Duncan, Oklahoma to Fort Myers, Florida. The two pilots and seven passengers on board were not injured.

NTSB Identification: DCA06IA007
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Incident occurred Monday, November 28, 2005 in Jacksonville, FL
Aircraft: Raytheon Corporate Jets Beechjet 400, registration: N691TA
Injuries: 2 Uninjured.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On November 28, 2005, at about 1340 eastern standard time, a Beechjet 400A, N691TA, lost all power from both of the installed Pratt & Whitney Canada (PWC) JT15D-5 engines while descending from flight level (FL) 380 near Jacksonville, Florida. The pilots reported that they were cruising at FL 380 in visual meteorological conditions and air traffic control (ATC) had cleared the airplane to descend to FL 330. The pilots further reported that after they initiated the descent, they heard a loud pop from the right engine followed about 10 seconds later by a loud pop from the left engine. The pilots stated that they observed the engine indicators quickly roll back. The pilots stated that they donned their oxygen masks and declared an emergency when they advised ATC that they had lost both engines and needed to descend to a lower altitude. The pilots reported that ATC then advised them to maintain FL 330 and then FL 270 and replied that they could not maintain either altitude because they had lost both engines. The pilots also stated that ATC then advised the distances to Gainesville and to Jacksonville and they elected to divert to Jacksonville where the weather was better and the runways were longer. The pilots stated that they were vectored to an ILS [instrument landing system] approach to runway 7. After they landed and rolled off of the runway onto a taxiway, the right landing gear tire deflated. The airplane was operating on an instrument flight rules flight plan under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 from Indianapolis, Indiana to Marcos Island, Florida. The two pilots on board were not injured.

The pilots reported that after completing the checklists after the engines lost power, they noted that the standby air speed indicator had gone to zero until the airplane had descended through FL 330 where it resumed indicating an airspeed. The pilot in the right hand seat also reported that his oxygen mask kept slipping out of position requiring that he hold it in place.

I don't see squat on the FAA site and they have accidents posted thru the 18th already. Not a single beechjet listed. I'd say this falls into the "nasty and malicious rumor" category until proven otherwise.

Only if NJA is in the habit of starting "nasty and malicious rumors" with lots of detail. Flamed out at FL380, crew was able to relight at FL300. Diverted to ORF. Not an NJA aircraft.

Ultra Grump said:
Only if NJA is in the habit of starting "nasty and malicious rumors" with lots of detail. Flamed out at FL380, crew was able to relight at FL300. Diverted to ORF. Not an NJA aircraft.
Where do you get this info? I have been looking all over for confirmation.As you know from a previous post of mine I am a very reluctant owner in a share of a 400a. Although the FLOPS pilots are wonderful and I have complete confidence in them I am worried.I have this as the 5th flame out recently-4 Beechjets and 1 CII.

Latest resources

Back