• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So Now What For Mesaba?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Scope is the big thing... eliminate scope and 9E and XJ may benefit in flying, but we all better live in domicile as the jumpseat will be off limits to us.

Personally I don't care who and how much growth either gets, as long as it "stays in the family". Bring in a 3rd party and we might as well bend over and provide our own sandpaper.

dondk said:
Scope is the big thing... eliminate scope and 9E and XJ may benefit in flying, but we all better live in domicile as the jumpseat will be off limits to us.

I think most NWA guys are smarter than that. They know the difference between true scabs and changing times. They will be mad but starting a jumpseat war affects them too. How many NWA pilots commute on XJ or 9E?

Just a thought.

I think most NWA guys are smarter than that. They know the difference between true scabs and changing times. They will be mad but starting a jumpseat war affects them too. How many NWA pilots commute on XJ or 9E?

A few jumpseat problems occured when the Avro's came on property years back - mostly on the NWA end I believe ("No way - RJ" for those who remember!). It was curbed immediately within the circle.

Here comes the first wave.... NWA furloughs

Straight from NWA Alpa website: http://www.nwaalpa.org/

REDUCED FLYING LEVELS / ADDITIONAL FURLOUGHS (9/15/05)

The NWA MEC officers and Negotiating Committee met with NWA management today to review the initial steps management plans to take in the near future as part of its reorganization plan. During the meeting, management informed ALPA that it will reduce mainline block hours by 13 percent. Management said the reduced flying levels will result in 400 pilot furloughs over the next eight months in addition to the approximately 500 Northwest pilots currently on furlough. The first 70 pilots will soon receive notice for layoff which will be effective Nov. 1, then 150 pilots are expected to be furloughed Jan. 1, and the rest (180 pilots) in early second quarter 2006.

These additional furloughs are driven by reduced flying levels and are not the result of any changes to our contract. The NWA pilot contract remains in full force and effect as it was prior to yesterday’s filing. NWA pilots have aggressively fought over the past few years to help NWA avoid Chapter 11 because of its impact on pilot jobs. Today's news is very painful for our membership, especially our junior pilots and their families. Throughout this reorganization, ALPA will continue its efforts to mitigate the loss of pilot jobs.

On a side note, a Bombardier demo CRJ-700 was in MSP today. For what? anyone's guess. Support aircraft dropping off/picking up people/parts/etc?

FlyinPiker said:
I would assume with the mighty CRJ experience and Detriot Pilot title he's a PCL guy......but I'm sure he'll tell me I'm wrong.

They have all this wrapped up remember....they have another certificate on the way!! Ha! study your history books boys.

Piker

You know what, I am a Pinnacle Guy, and I like my job. I hope neither xj or 9e get 70 seaters and that Northwest can pull out of this and keep their pilots.

By the way, I was hired with the published minimums and I am not a pay for training dude. Im sure your times which you chose not to even post are far more better than anyone else.

Towelie said:

Just a thought.

Very true... but I also remember getting the "runaround" (being very PC here) when NWA was furloughing and 9E was growing. I remember many of the comments of us "taking thier flying". If perhaps either 9E OR XJ should find some bigger aircraft on the property... does anyone think NWA pilots will be jumping for joy? I'd still bet on cold jumpseats and more runarounds. Regardless if they use our jumpseats or not.

Let's be real here.. if regional X came in and took any of XJ's or 9E's flying, you would let the "regional X" guy know your pissed one way or the other if they wanted a jumseat.

T-handle said:
Management said the reduced flying levels will result in 400 pilot furloughs over the next eight months in addition to the approximately 500 Northwest pilots currently on furlough. The first 70 pilots will soon receive notice for layoff which will be effective Nov. 1, then 150 pilots are expected to be furloughed Jan. 1, and the rest (180 pilots) in early second quarter 2006.

Best wishes to these guys. You guys worrying about whether XJ or 9E is going to get more 70-seat flying out of the deal need to gain some perspective.

I agree. Best of luck to you redtailers. I do have to say a look into the history books does not fair well far anyone flying a red or silver jet.

Look at what happened at United and US when BK hit. More furloughs, and contract carriers coming in to drive down costs. When it all shakes down and you have to choose who to be upset with, please don't take it out on any of your fellow colleagues. Remember, this is all evil management.

You know what gets me?....We commuters are just trying to get to work, to put food in the mouths of our families. This nonsense of "shutting down" a jumpseat due to "Managements Actions" is senseless. You make it sound like we as pilots have a voting right into what goes on in the boardrooms.

Should we quit and start over with a new airline because we are getting new planes? I think Colgan is hiring.

Latest resources

Back