So Now What For Mesaba?

Peanut Chaser

Active member
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Posts
27
Total Time
3000
What does the NWA Chapter 11 filing Now mean for Mesaba? What are the "GOOD" and the "BADS" for XJ?
 

TinGoose1

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 10, 2005
Posts
160
Total Time
11:52
Good news: 70 seat scope probably will be removed and Mesaba pilots will start flying 70 seaters.

Bad news: 70 seat scope probably will be removed and Mesaba pilots will be stuck in the commuters flying 70 seaters.

Short term: Good - Mesaba will probably expand quite a bit.
Long term: Bad - Mesaba will have fewer jobs at Northwest to get hired into.
 

Mesabi Miner

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Posts
492
Total Time
10000
Hey Detroit pilot, who peed in your Wheaties?

MM
 

labbats

Zulu who?
Joined
May 25, 2003
Posts
2,593
Total Time
9000
I thought Northwest didn't hire many from Mesaba anyway.
 

xjavro85

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Posts
89
Total Time
enough
labbats said:
I thought Northwest didn't hire many from Mesaba anyway.

Where did they come from? Certainly not from pinnacle, most of those guys were not even born yet the last time NWA hired pilots.
 

787

Well-known member
Joined
May 23, 2005
Posts
81
Total Time
.5taxi
Wish you well XJ'ers. Former NWA'er here. Even though some NWA guys don't like the notion of the ARJ...we all know who's behind the quality flying on the link end of the business. Really hoping 9E loses big in this courtroom dance. I just hope some pension is left intact.
 

RampTower

Ol 366PX, the ditch b!tch
Joined
Apr 6, 2005
Posts
172
Total Time
10,000
It's all speculation. That's what. Business as usual until the judge in New York begins to slaughter the NWA pensions, scope and payrates. :(

XJ is getting 15 CRJs (I believe 2 are already on property), 10 of those are paid for. 20 CRJs on option which by a probable no brainer will be excercised. As along as we continue to get the 15 CRJs there will be hiring and growth for that matter.

The future of the Avro is once again brought up. No surprise though. If the judge dumps the scope, it opens up a whole new door for 70+ seat aircraft. But it doesn't guarantee Mesaba or even pinnacle are the top two picks to fly em. Think cheaper costs.... like Mesa, CHQ, etc.

I see xj mgt going to Wychor and asking for some type of concessions for growth. LOA 15 all over again.
 

FlyinPiker

Incon-fricking-spicuous
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Posts
348
Total Time
*_*
Mesabi Miner said:
Hey Detroit pilot, who peed in your Wheaties?

MM

I would assume with the mighty CRJ experience and Detriot Pilot title he's a PCL guy......but I'm sure he'll tell me I'm wrong.

They have all this wrapped up remember....they have another certificate on the way!! Ha! study your history books boys.

Piker
 

FlyinPiker

Incon-fricking-spicuous
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Posts
348
Total Time
*_*
RampTower said:
It's all speculation. That's what. Business as usual until the judge in New York begins to slaughter the NWA pensions, scope and payrates. :(

XJ is getting 15 CRJs (I believe 2 are already on property), 10 of those are paid for. 20 CRJs on option which by a probable no brainer will be excercised. As along as we continue to get the 15 CRJs there will be hiring and growth for that matter.

The future of the Avro is once again brought up. No surprise though. If the judge dumps the scope, it opens up a whole new door for 70+ seat aircraft. But it doesn't guarantee Mesaba or even pinnacle are the top two picks to fly em. Think cheaper costs.... like Mesa, CHQ, etc.

I see xj mgt going to Wychor and asking for some type of concessions for growth. LOA 15 all over again.

Who's paying for these things anyway?? NW as usual?? If that's the case will you see more than 10 while they are in bankruptcy?

Piker
 

dondk

Don't you wish
Joined
Nov 25, 2001
Posts
887
Total Time
enuf
Scope is the big thing... eliminate scope and 9E and XJ may benefit in flying, but we all better live in domicile as the jumpseat will be off limits to us.

Personally I don't care who and how much growth either gets, as long as it "stays in the family". Bring in a 3rd party and we might as well bend over and provide our own sandpaper.
 
T

Towelie

dondk said:
Scope is the big thing... eliminate scope and 9E and XJ may benefit in flying, but we all better live in domicile as the jumpseat will be off limits to us.

I think most NWA guys are smarter than that. They know the difference between true scabs and changing times. They will be mad but starting a jumpseat war affects them too. How many NWA pilots commute on XJ or 9E?

Just a thought.
 

Terry Hunter

Silence!
Joined
Nov 22, 2004
Posts
297
Total Time
<0>
I think most NWA guys are smarter than that. They know the difference between true scabs and changing times. They will be mad but starting a jumpseat war affects them too. How many NWA pilots commute on XJ or 9E?

A few jumpseat problems occured when the Avro's came on property years back - mostly on the NWA end I believe ("No way - RJ" for those who remember!). It was curbed immediately within the circle.
 

nwaredtail

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Posts
622
Total Time
9000+
Don't get too excited about expansion folks, 31 Avros were on the list of 102 potential planes to be parked.
 

T-handle

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 27, 2001
Posts
344
Total Time
6000+
Here comes the first wave.... NWA furloughs

Straight from NWA Alpa website: http://www.nwaalpa.org/

REDUCED FLYING LEVELS / ADDITIONAL FURLOUGHS (9/15/05)

The NWA MEC officers and Negotiating Committee met with NWA management today to review the initial steps management plans to take in the near future as part of its reorganization plan. During the meeting, management informed ALPA that it will reduce mainline block hours by 13 percent. Management said the reduced flying levels will result in 400 pilot furloughs over the next eight months in addition to the approximately 500 Northwest pilots currently on furlough. The first 70 pilots will soon receive notice for layoff which will be effective Nov. 1, then 150 pilots are expected to be furloughed Jan. 1, and the rest (180 pilots) in early second quarter 2006.

These additional furloughs are driven by reduced flying levels and are not the result of any changes to our contract. The NWA pilot contract remains in full force and effect as it was prior to yesterday’s filing. NWA pilots have aggressively fought over the past few years to help NWA avoid Chapter 11 because of its impact on pilot jobs. Today's news is very painful for our membership, especially our junior pilots and their families. Throughout this reorganization, ALPA will continue its efforts to mitigate the loss of pilot jobs.




On a side note, a Bombardier demo CRJ-700 was in MSP today. For what? anyone's guess. Support aircraft dropping off/picking up people/parts/etc?
 

Detroitpilot22

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Posts
301
Total Time
2000
FlyinPiker said:
I would assume with the mighty CRJ experience and Detriot Pilot title he's a PCL guy......but I'm sure he'll tell me I'm wrong.

They have all this wrapped up remember....they have another certificate on the way!! Ha! study your history books boys.

Piker

You know what, I am a Pinnacle Guy, and I like my job. I hope neither xj or 9e get 70 seaters and that Northwest can pull out of this and keep their pilots.

By the way, I was hired with the published minimums and I am not a pay for training dude. Im sure your times which you chose not to even post are far more better than anyone else.
 

dondk

Don't you wish
Joined
Nov 25, 2001
Posts
887
Total Time
enuf
Towelie said:
I think most NWA guys are smarter than that. They know the difference between true scabs and changing times. They will be mad but starting a jumpseat war affects them too. How many NWA pilots commute on XJ or 9E?

Just a thought.

Very true... but I also remember getting the "runaround" (being very PC here) when NWA was furloughing and 9E was growing. I remember many of the comments of us "taking thier flying". If perhaps either 9E OR XJ should find some bigger aircraft on the property... does anyone think NWA pilots will be jumping for joy? I'd still bet on cold jumpseats and more runarounds. Regardless if they use our jumpseats or not.

Let's be real here.. if regional X came in and took any of XJ's or 9E's flying, you would let the "regional X" guy know your pissed one way or the other if they wanted a jumseat.
 

ReverseSensing

On the BC
Joined
Apr 15, 2004
Posts
1,452
Total Time
>2000
T-handle said:
Management said the reduced flying levels will result in 400 pilot furloughs over the next eight months in addition to the approximately 500 Northwest pilots currently on furlough. The first 70 pilots will soon receive notice for layoff which will be effective Nov. 1, then 150 pilots are expected to be furloughed Jan. 1, and the rest (180 pilots) in early second quarter 2006.


Best wishes to these guys. You guys worrying about whether XJ or 9E is going to get more 70-seat flying out of the deal need to gain some perspective.
 

smokey999

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Posts
149
I agree. Best of luck to you redtailers. I do have to say a look into the history books does not fair well far anyone flying a red or silver jet.

Look at what happened at United and US when BK hit. More furloughs, and contract carriers coming in to drive down costs. When it all shakes down and you have to choose who to be upset with, please don't take it out on any of your fellow colleagues. Remember, this is all evil management.
 

Peanut Chaser

Active member
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Posts
27
Total Time
3000
You know what gets me?....We commuters are just trying to get to work, to put food in the mouths of our families. This nonsense of "shutting down" a jumpseat due to "Managements Actions" is senseless. You make it sound like we as pilots have a voting right into what goes on in the boardrooms.

Should we quit and start over with a new airline because we are getting new planes? I think Colgan is hiring.
 
Top