• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So I am in the pool!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Stay off this board and wait for the phone to ring with a Dallas area code" Thats the best idea I've heard all day!

IslandDriver, I think if you hold on a couple more months, your outlook on the whole situation will be a lot different. Good luck my friend, hopefully I'll see you in Dallas - sooner rather than later

Now I should get back to figuring out why those folks at Playboy couldn't do a better job of trying to airbrush that "exploited hooters girls'" (gold diggers) face...maybe this box of mexican wine will help me figure that out. CHEERS everybody and have a great Thanksgiving!!

You guys who are hung up on her face are homos. Like you would ever pass that up. Don't ever pass anything up! Remember, fat chicks buy you stuff, and have hot friends!:D

Thanks for all the insite. When I interviewed I said I was happy with the job I have...QOL Senioity Etc...I told myself I would be happy either way...but now I am in limbo....I was always a fighter and a changer where I am...but I feel like I have lost my energy for it here now that I am a "Short timer" and that is in quotes because I do not know what short timer means any more.

I was told I should be there after the holidays...I did not know they meant next fourth of July...if I am lucky....

So for now focus where I am and stay off this board till the phone rings with a Dallas area code.

ID:
you have 2 things going for you. An offer, and a job. Much as you might not like it, it still pays bills, and puts food on your table.
Keep up your job search, and when SW calls, if you still want to work here you can. But like some others have said, until you have an ID and are in class, all you have is an offer. Just keep up the job search.

"Yeah, anybody out there feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, BUT...anytime, anyone, anywhere in the industry leaves a job, it's good for the industry as a whole, because it sends a message to management that things aren't where they need to be. "

Interesting point....i happen to agree...here is a copy of the letter I sent the Alaska CEO when I turned down the job offer. Not suprisingly I did not recieve a response.

I am a new hire pilot scheduled to go to class XXXXXXXX. It is with regret and disappointment that I must write this letter. As a long time Pacific Northwest resident, flying for Alaska Airlines has been my career goal. As you can imagine, I was overjoyed when I was selected for employment at my interview a short time ago. However, after more research and soul searching, I must decline the employment offer.

There were many reasons that Alaska was my first choice of major airlines to fly for. I have always equated Alaska Airlines with the spirit of the Northwest. After talking to many Alaska employees, I have come to find that the Northwest spirit has left Alaska Airlines, with little hope of it returning. There are a few specific reasons for my decision to decline the job offer. First, the fact that Alaska Airlines considers its pilots part time employees for the purposes of the FMLA is reprehensible. This is a federally mandated program and for the airline to use a technicality to deny some of its employees this benefit is unacceptable. This program is especially important for flight crew members, as we are gone for days at a time, and during a life changing event such as the birth of a baby, we are not able to be home every evening as most other employees are. If Alaska Airlines was as dedicated to their employees as they say they are, the benefits of this program would be put in place immediately. The fact that a few years ago, Alaska Airlines summarily fired all of its dedicated union ramp agents in Seattle and replaced them with lower paid contract workers, also factors into my decision. The fact that they were fired was bad enough, but then when they were not told and simply had their airport ID badges turned off one night is deplorable. I am not willing to put my family’s livelihood and myself at risk if upper management decides to once again replace all of its dedicated pilots with lower paid pilots overnight. Finally, a number of years ago, furlough notices were sent out to some junior pilots. The notices were sent out in such a way that they arrived at the pilot’s homes on Christmas Eve. A company that values their employees would not do such a heartless act. I am a professional pilot. I was ready to accept the decrease in wages in order to work in my dream job. However, as a professional pilot, I am not ready to sacrifice my dignity to work for a company that does not respect its employees. I will continue to wait for a company that treats their employees as an asset, rather than a liability.

I am sorry that the culture of Alaska Airlines that was the spirit of the Pacific Northwest has given way to a culture of disrespect. It is with a heavy heart that I decline my XXXXXXX class date. I hope that in the future, the culture that once was returns. If that day comes again, I will gladly be a candidate again to fly for Alaska Airlines.

So here I swim in the SWA pool. Pool date 8/5. Interviewed in March but had to wait to get the type.

Should I swim or try and go elsewhere? I guess I am just getting a little water logged.

I am at a regional and a lot of guys junior to me are moving on to the likes of JetBlue, CAL, AirTran and others. What if all those doors close in the next year while I wait....will I have missed my window of opportunity?

What would you do?

Go with Delta.

"Yeah, anybody out there feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, BUT...anytime, anyone, anywhere in the industry leaves a job, it's good for the industry as a whole, because it sends a message to management that things aren't where they need to be. "

Interesting point....i happen to agree...here is a copy of the letter I sent the Alaska CEO when I turned down the job offer. Not suprisingly I did not recieve a response.

I am a new hire pilot scheduled to go to class XXXXXXXX. It is with regret and disappointment that I must write this letter. As a long time Pacific Northwest resident, flying for Alaska Airlines has been my career goal. As you can imagine, I was overjoyed when I was selected for employment at my interview a short time ago. However, after more research and soul searching, I must decline the employment offer.

There were many reasons that Alaska was my first choice of major airlines to fly for. I have always equated Alaska Airlines with the spirit of the Northwest. After talking to many Alaska employees, I have come to find that the Northwest spirit has left Alaska Airlines, with little hope of it returning. There are a few specific reasons for my decision to decline the job offer. First, the fact that Alaska Airlines considers its pilots part time employees for the purposes of the FMLA is reprehensible. This is a federally mandated program and for the airline to use a technicality to deny some of its employees this benefit is unacceptable. This program is especially important for flight crew members, as we are gone for days at a time, and during a life changing event such as the birth of a baby, we are not able to be home every evening as most other employees are. If Alaska Airlines was as dedicated to their employees as they say they are, the benefits of this program would be put in place immediately. The fact that a few years ago, Alaska Airlines summarily fired all of its dedicated union ramp agents in Seattle and replaced them with lower paid contract workers, also factors into my decision. The fact that they were fired was bad enough, but then when they were not told and simply had their airport ID badges turned off one night is deplorable. I am not willing to put my family’s livelihood and myself at risk if upper management decides to once again replace all of its dedicated pilots with lower paid pilots overnight. Finally, a number of years ago, furlough notices were sent out to some junior pilots. The notices were sent out in such a way that they arrived at the pilot’s homes on Christmas Eve. A company that values their employees would not do such a heartless act. I am a professional pilot. I was ready to accept the decrease in wages in order to work in my dream job. However, as a professional pilot, I am not ready to sacrifice my dignity to work for a company that does not respect its employees. I will continue to wait for a company that treats their employees as an asset, rather than a liability.

I am sorry that the culture of Alaska Airlines that was the spirit of the Pacific Northwest has given way to a culture of disrespect. It is with a heavy heart that I decline my XXXXXXX class date. I hope that in the future, the culture that once was returns. If that day comes again, I will gladly be a candidate again to fly for Alaska Airlines.

No disrespect intended but do you think they would actually offer you another chance if the "Spirit of the Pacific Northwest" returned? It might of been better to just say; Thanks for your consideration etc etc and No thankyou...IMHO

Last edited:
I could have just thanks but no thanks, but the friends i have there asked me if i could write something that might possibly maybe have a tiny little chance of making a difference. I know that they are having problems getting people to come to class and people that have been there a few years are leaving. I put the part about considering them in the future as a bit of humor...I wanted to imply that the pilots are getting a but more power in this industry again and to stop treating us like dirt.

I guess what I'm saying is that the industry is too small. If you write a letter like that you may as well have said: Hey GO F**k Yourself! I honestly don't think sticking your johnson out is the best way to protect yourself in the future. Not only that but you know these conferences with all of the other recruiters, they do talk to eachother. Sorry man, I'm not trying to lecture but you gotta know that its better to bite your lip!

I advise my clients to not even slam a door when they leave a room...you may have to walk right back in.

However, in life, there are some bridges that are meant to be burned. Sounds like this guy knew he never wanted to be there. Sometimes, you gotta go with your gut.

Good luck to all of you--whatever course you chart...

Latest resources

Back