• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Smisek on the jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wonder why he rode in the cockpit.....He wants to get HIS word out and get everybody thinking he's a "cool guy"

Whoa, I never said I trusted the guy, it's just interesting to hear what he is saying. Just as everything you hear, take it with a grain of salt until proven.

I don't like playing games. If he wants to talk, I'm not going to pass up the opportunity to ask him my questions. In the long run we are all on the same team. We ALL want to make money. The guy is just trying to do his job-keep the payroll low to maximize profit. Our job is to get what we are worth. We will see who comes out closer to their goal. My opinion, I like our chances.

Then by that logic the 777 should pay the same as well. Look, would you rather have those planes go to an express carrier flying our routes or to the main line which would require hiring and movement? Me, I'd take the latter.

HA HAHAHA...On the same team? Are you friggin nuts!? I guarantee he doesn't consider you on his team.

They (management) despise us (labor).

He's looking for his bonus and he knows darn well its coming from a merger.

I know, I know to spread disunity within the pilot group. If you been in this industry awhile you can smell the bull from a mile away. I'm former ATA, and I've seen my share of BS. Like I said, I don't trust him a bit, but I will listen to what he has to say. That doesn't mean I buy into it.

My point was that you want to classify a RJ as the same as the 737. Using that logic you could classify the 737 as an widebody. I'm just saying pay us a going rate for the airplane (the RJ) to get them on our ticket. No scope problem there. I think we both agree that they can't screw us if we are flying them. We had an Express guy on the jumpseat during that flight and he said that they don't want them either. Why? Because they would be stuck at the regional level that much longer. Smart guy there.

When asked why we couldn't put the large RJ's on our ticket with the going rate he said he would LOVE to do that, but the union would never go for it Why not? In fact the EMB 190 and 195 rates are IN the Delta contract. Didn't look to bad too me. 12yr Capt EMB 195-$126/hr. I think we should get them on the property and keep our scope

Stop trying to create another "B" scale at CAL. I am not interested in watering down my scope just to get a 70 seater on property. If they want them bad enough, they will pay us. End of story.

P.S. Jetblue makes a heck of a lot more for their 190s than the Delta rates. Thanks for selling us short. You are management's dream.

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/images/stories/airlines/pay_jetblue2009.gif

Last edited:
EWR FO -- Last I checked it's his airline not yours. He's the boss, like it our not, we aren't. If he wants to come up to the flight deck, it's his perogative, how you handle it is yours. I don't know of any industry where the boss is prohibited from checking on his employees...bs or not, but saying he is NEVER welcome on the flight deck is a missed opportunity to filter the BS. Are you scared that he might convince you or us of something? Come on....

Personally, I've seen all the BS I can take for the last 21 years- I don't want to filter anymore. I don't want to even give him the opportunity to convince anyone of anything. The negotiating table is the ONLY place he should have an audience.

Don't you find it funny that NONE of these horses**t management "talks" EVER happen outside of contract negotiations? I can guarantee you that is no coincidence.

There are more than a few guys who have told Smisek they didn't have time to talk to him, I hope the number increases. Feel free to talk to him if you like, I'll pass. If you talk to him ask him about the $600 million his boy lost hedging fuel because he wants YOU to pay for it.

HA HAHAHA...On the same team? Are you friggin nuts!? I guarantee he doesn't consider you on his team.

They (management) despise us (labor).

I never said we had to be friends. He better consider me on his team, and not only treat me like it but pay me for it. The alternative will not be pretty as can be seen at several places right now.

Stop trying to create another "B" scale at CAL. I am not interested in watering down my scope just to get a 70 seater on property. If they want them bad enough, they will pay us. End of story.

P.S. Jetblue makes a heck of a lot more for their 190s than the Delta rates. Thanks for selling us short. You are management's dream.

A "B" scale is getting paid less for flying the same plane. These would be a new plane with a different rate. Your not watering down the scope, you are keeping it in place because WE would be the ones flying them.

As far as the pay. I'm guessing you have never owned a business, but if you can't afford a new piece of machinery, you don't buy it. However, if they can't afford to pay us what the going rate is your right, forget it.

Your also right about JetBlue, but I said pay the going rate whatever that may be. Although the Delta pay is not bad, the JetBlue is better so lets go with that. Agreed?

"won't write a hot check" MY ass. If they can't afford to pay us then go out of ********************in business. Tired of these ********************e bags getting rich off our backs. FUPM

Fair enough, if I see him, I'll ask the fuel hedging question. No one talks about these "talks" outside of contract negotiations because it's a non-issue then. Maybe they happen, maybe they don't....I'm just saying that not letting him in the cockpit is probably a bad idea, bs or not...and what do I care what he says, other than I can ask him the questions I want to ask him directly...and can apply my own filter to what is said. That's all...

Smigel wants his "precious" from you. Your SCOPE. And he'll lie, cheat, or steal or do anything else he has to, to get it.

Latest resources

Back