Smisek on the jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jenks,

That was on my list of questions I didn't get to ask, as well as how much more/less staffing would the Delta contract require. Sorry, maybe the next guy can ask if they don't kick him out of the jumpseat.
No problem. You asked some really good questions, I just would have liked to see what he might have said. Thanks for your post.

How is it his airline? Does he own it? He may own more stock than your average pilot but I'd say your average pilot has a great deal more invested in an airline -- in real terms -- than any migrant manager.

Actually, it's the PIC's perogative. As someone else posted, if your CEO wants to talk with you, how about you stop by his office unannounced someday.

Goggles...you act like this would work in any other industry. If the boss wants to come into your workstation, unannounced even, it's a non-starter, he or she's going to do it. He's not doing it in-flight, and if it's interrupting your "PIC" duties then as said earlier politely tell him so. Any other worker in any other industry has just as much "invested...in real terms" as we do in our airline, whether that's Continental, Delta, Ford, or IBM, it doesn't give us the right to keep him out of our workstation, in this case the cockpit, especially if he's doing it at an appropriate time. Would you rather he be on your flight and not ask your opinion about how to make the company better, regardless of whether or not you think he'll actually listen to you? What would you do if you were in charge?

Goggles...you act like this would work in any other industry. If the boss wants to come into your workstation, unannounced even, it's a non-starter, he or she's going to do it. He's not doing it in-flight, and if it's interrupting your "PIC" duties then as said earlier politely tell him so. Any other worker in any other industry has just as much "invested...in real terms" as we do in our airline, whether that's Continental, Delta, Ford, or IBM, it doesn't give us the right to keep him out of our workstation, in this case the cockpit, especially if he's doing it at an appropriate time. Would you rather he be on your flight and not ask your opinion about how to make the company better, regardless of whether or not you think he'll actually listen to you? What would you do if you were in charge?

Actually our FOM does allow for it but it takes a seat behind safety and professionalism. The union has even put out a memo, "the magenta line" that asks if Jeff wants to come to the cockpit to talk, politely remind him that safety comes first and that him being in the cockpit is a distraction. He has a first class seat for a reason. My MEC speaks for me.

What would you do if you were in charge?

Manage the expectations of labor. Spread fear. Undermine collective bargaining. That would be my job.

Smigel should know that his presence in the cockpit WILL be a major distraction. If he knows, he's deliberately violating his own company safety policy (not that management actually think that rules apply to them), and if he doesn't, well, I guess that speaks for itself.

If Smigel wants to talk to crews he ought to spend some time in the crew ops. But then again, that would require him to actually interact with his employees when they aren't subject to the additional stress of trying to be respectful of him and trying to make sure the preflight is done correctly and safely. By walking into the cockpit when the crew is busy, he knows he can do most of the talking, then have an excuse to leave quickly when his BS gets challenged.

Smigel should know that his presence in the cockpit WILL be a major distraction. If he knows, he's deliberately violating his own company safety policy (not that management actually think that rules apply to them), and if he doesn't, well, I guess that speaks for itself.

If Smigel wants to talk to crews he ought to spend some time in the crew ops. But then again, that would require him to actually interact with his employees when they aren't subject to the additional stress of trying to be respectful of him and trying to make sure the preflight is done correctly and safely. By walking into the cockpit when the crew is busy, he knows he can do most of the talking, then have an excuse to leave quickly when his BS gets challenged.

I would stop everything I am doing and talk to him as long as he wanted. It would be a great excuse for a late push......

"Had Smisek on the jumpseat."

Since I don't know who or what that is;

That sounds like something that needs to washed off.

Don't step in any Smisek or it'll get stuck to your shoe!

lol

Latest resources

Back