Smisek on the jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Skyflyin

Had Smisek on our flight yesterday and he came up to chat with us for about twenty minutes before departure. Here is what he said:

-Talked about mergers: we would only merge defensively, ie if Delta started to outperform us. He confirmed that he was one of the first to be against the merger the last time.

-When asked about his merger/acquisition background he said he does have an expertise in that area, but that doesn't mean he wants to use it

-He doesn't see a United-US Air tie up as that is not as financially viable and would be more of a problem for the on-going US Air integration

-Star Alliance is working well and that we are getting customers that we never would have before

-Fuel is still hurting us

-He got ripped from our PR department for calling the tarmac rule "stupid" Although it is

Contract

-He won't write a hot check, ie won't sign off on a contract that they don't think they could pay for.

-They are not stalling, wants a contract done. He complained the union didn't get them a proposal until Dec. But I'm sure he knows why they waited

-He alluded to having the Delta contract as a whole and not nit-picking parts. He said, just change the name on it and go Yeah right

-The cost increase would be "material", but the scope relief would help with that A NO vote right there for me

-When asked why we couldn't put the large RJ's on our ticket with the going rate he said he would LOVE to do that, but the union would never go for it Why not? In fact the EMB 190 and 195 rates are IN the Delta contract. Didn't look to bad too me. 12yr Capt EMB 195-$126/hr. I think we should get them on the property and keep our scope

-He is committed to the A fund as it stands, but danced around the question (by the Capt) as to where it would be in the new contract

I didn't get to ask more of my questions as we had to go, but there is some insight for everyone. Overall he seemed to be a personable guy, very intelligent and has a passion for the business.

One thing for sure it's going to be interesting.

Overall he seemed to be a personable guy, very intelligent and has a passion for the business.

That's how they all are, just before they stick the knife in you back. Don't kid yourself. He wants your scope, badly, and soon. He wants to transfer your jobs to cheapo low-pay commuter outfits.

Mgmt will get a lot more desperate as we get closer to the end of 2010. I say we come right back with UPS +$1. We will continue to see the carrots dangled in front of the pilot group for most of this year and I'm sure the carrots will continue to get bigger. The question is, how big will the carrot be before they get enough pilots to bite?

Never trust managment...especially on the jumpseat. I've seen it before IT'S name is Rono Dutta and Glenn Tilton prior to the 39.7 million dollar bonus of 2007. Greedy and pathetic

Next time he wants to come up, tell him you're busy. I'm sure you'd get a warm reception if you just stopped by his office. He is a smug, condescending, prick who would like nothing more than to throw you out in the street and hire someone for half your pay.

We need to stop letting him spread his bulls**t by letting him know he is NOT welcome on the flight deck. Ever.

well i would like to hear the unions take on why they don't want the 70 seaters on CAL's ticket? Also's Cal's SNB rates are better then JB 190 rates in some years and worse in other years so its about the same, so I don't see why Cal couldn't fly them?

well i would like to hear the unions take on why they don't want the 70 seaters on CAL's ticket? Also's Cal's SNB rates are better then JB 190 rates in some years and worse in other years so its about the same, so I don't see why Cal couldn't fly them?

They could put 70 seaters on tomorrow if they want them, the pay would be the same as the 737. We all saw how the 50 seater lie worked out, no one is going to bite this time.

Never trust managment...especially on the jumpseat. I've seen it before IT'S name is Rono Dutta and Glenn Tilton prior to the 39.7 million dollar bonus of 2007. Greedy and pathetic

Whoa, I never said I trusted the guy, it's just interesting to hear what he is saying. Just as everything you hear, take it with a grain of salt until proven.

Next time he wants to come up, tell him you're busy. We need to stop letting him spread his bulls**t by letting him know he is NOT welcome on the flight deck. Ever.

I don't like playing games. If he wants to talk, I'm not going to pass up the opportunity to ask him my questions. In the long run we are all on the same team. We ALL want to make money. The guy is just trying to do his job-keep the payroll low to maximize profit. Our job is to get what we are worth. We will see who comes out closer to their goal. My opinion, I like our chances.

They could put 70 seaters on tomorrow if they want them, the pay would be the same as the 737. We all saw how the 50 seater lie worked out, no one is going to bite this time.

Then by that logic the 777 should pay the same as well. Look, would you rather have those planes go to an express carrier flying our routes or to the main line which would require hiring and movement? Me, I'd take the latter.

Latest resources

Back