Smisek on the jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He was on my jumpseat also once. Summary of 3 hour conversation:
1. Pilots are stupid. Because they think that if an airline makes a profit for one quarter - it will make profit for a year and they will get profit sharing.

2. Fuel is hurting us and economy overall in tough shape i.e. dont ask for anything.

3. Competition with other airlines is outrages. We have to work hard, harder than we ever worked. We really have to count every single dollar, but you do work for the best airline in the World.

He also touched my shoulder a lot.

He was on my jumpseat also once. Summary of 3 hour conversation:
1. Pilots are stupid. Because they think that if an airline makes a profit for one quarter - it will make profit for a year and they will get profit sharing.

2. Fuel is hurting us and economy overall in tough shape i.e. dont ask for anything.

3. Competition with other airlines is outrages.
See # 1. :)

No questions about when they may recall the furloughed pilots and staff the airline correctly? I wouldn't have believed his answer, but I sure would have been interested in what his answer might have been!

EWR FO -- Last I checked it's his airline not yours. He's the boss, like it our not, we aren't. If he wants to come up to the flight deck, it's his perogative, how you handle it is yours. I don't know of any industry where the boss is prohibited from checking on his employees...bs or not, but saying he is NEVER welcome on the flight deck is a missed opportunity to filter the BS. Are you scared that he might convince you or us of something? Come on....

I completely agree. When the CEO is at the airport or on your flight, you act like a professional and show some respect. You may not like what he has to say or where he is taking the airline, but you lose all credibility when you play stupid games. If it had been my flight, I would have politely said "Mr. Smisek, I appreciate that the company made an offer to our pilot group in such short order; but I have to be honest with you, that offer is just not going to cut it. There are a number of reasons why I feel that way, scope being one of the largest. I, along with most of the pilots I know have expressed our feelings in detail to the negotiating committee. I'm sure those representing us(the pilots) and the company will find a way to reach an agreement that is fair to all involved."

If he wanted to hear specifics, I'd be cordial and respectful but be direct in stating that issues like scope are non starters with myself and every pilot I've spoken to. I'd then shut the conversation down by stating that I'd really rather not discuss if farther as it is an unhealthy distraction from pre-flight duties. I'd change the subject and let him do the talking from that point forward.

Smigel wants his "precious" from you. Your SCOPE. And he'll lie, cheat, or steal or do anything else he has to, to get it.

HA! I thought I was the only one who called him that.

No questions about when they may recall the furloughed pilots and staff the airline correctly? I wouldn't have believed his answer, but I sure would have been interested in what his answer might have been!

jenks,

That was on my list of questions I didn't get to ask, as well as how much more/less staffing would the Delta contract require. Sorry, maybe the next guy can ask if they don't kick him out of the jumpseat.

EWR FO -- Last I checked it's his airline not yours.

How is it his airline? Does he own it? He may own more stock than your average pilot but I'd say your average pilot has a great deal more invested in an airline -- in real terms -- than any migrant manager.

He's the boss, like it our not, we aren't. If he wants to come up to the flight deck, it's his perogative, ..

Actually, it's the PIC's perogative. As someone else posted, if your CEO wants to talk with you, how about you stop by his office unannounced someday.

Latest resources

Back