• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest to phase out ASA. Could this be true

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It Dosent' make sense. If SkyWest only bought ASA for their planes, routes and gates but not the pilots, that makes no sense. Where does skywest plan to get pilots to fly the ASA routes? Why not just keep the ASA pilots, duh.

propjockey said:
Sorry to beat this drum again, but merged -- maybe. Date-of-hire? No way!!

Besides, that wouldn't be fair to the current SkyWest employees. "Our company is doing great so we bought your company...only now I just slid down 287 spots on the seniority list. I was going to upgrade next year now I'm another 3 years away." All that would do is created mucho resentment towards the ASA guys/gals and it would be terrible for overall company morale. You don't want to alienate your current employees who have made your airline what it is today.

In Skywest's DCI agreement with Delta, it explicitly states that Skywest may transfer aircraft from ASA to Skywest without breaching the contract as long as service is not interrupted. Sounds like its at least on their minds.

Flying Illini said:
Besides, that wouldn't be fair to the current SkyWest employees. "Our company is doing great so we bought your company...only now I just slid down 287 spots on the seniority list. I was going to upgrade next year now I'm another 3 years away." All that would do is created mucho resentment towards the ASA guys/gals and it would be terrible for overall company morale. You don't want to alienate your current employees who have made your airline what it is today.

If fences were put into place, a DOH merge would not negatively affect any pilot. You would still be able to upgrade in 15 months or whatever in ORD, and I would still see my 4 year upgrade in ATL. Five years from now, or whenever the fences went down, nobody would be displaced from their seats as you could only bid into new positions.

The one thing that a list merge would do is provide furlough protection for both groups. That way a 2 year pilot at ASA wouldn't be furloughed ahead of a 2 month pilot at SkyWest just because it's more convenient for management.

135wannabe said:
It Dosent' make sense. If SkyWest only bought ASA for their planes, routes and gates but not the pilots, that makes no sense. Where does skywest plan to get pilots to fly the ASA routes? Why not just keep the ASA pilots, duh.
Welll...
Let see, RR's article a few summers ago detailed the company's thoughts on employee longivity. Seems that the productivity of a 18 year Captain is the same as a 5th year Captain, they both move "50 widgets" at a time except the 18 year guy costs a whole lot more. RR made a point of stating SKYW's plan included "overall low employee longivity ". Unless SKYW has changed that plan and basically the way they think, the ASA deal has underlying currents that are not visible to those outside the corp. boardroom. All I can say is, I would not want to be at ASA right now. Where would SKYW get the pilots to fly the ASA routes? Right here, huge numbers of flightinfo goobers jacking off at the thought of "getting hired" at SKYW and placed in the "pool". Whatever, keep coloring those apps in and hoping you can be the lowest time RJ pilot in history.
PBR

Last edited:
Oh yeah lets retrain 2000 pilots and lay off 2000 that are already trained---NOW that is MAGMT. that I would be proud of...

Heck that decision sounds like a how Delta does business.....

Stop posting these dumba** post before you think...You sound real smart. Well most of ASA pilots are going to Airtran anyways....

scarlet said:
Oh yeah lets retrain 2000 pilots and lay off 2000 that are already trained---NOW that is MAGMT. that I would be proud of...

Stop posting these dumba** post before you think...You sound real smart. Well most of ASA pilots are going to Airtran anyways....
Lets see,
Take a pilot group most who are off of probation and making $35.00+ per hour and replace them with new hires at $19.02hr. Lessee, $19.02 X 2000 x 800hrs a year= $30,432000+/- vs $35.00 X 2000 X 800hrs a year= $56,000,000. 26mil will buy alot of training and other sundried expenses. SKYW is run by bean counters, do not forget it!
Do not feel bad though if this happens it will be slow and only semi-obvious. You will probabally feel good since the new pay agreement will give us a whole 1.2% and the ability to fly the whole CRJ type fleet.
You will be spared that indignity at least.
I think for the first time in a long time SKYW has made an error in judgment though. This pay proposal will bite them in the ass.
PBR

Flying Illini said:

Whoa boy, You are a wholly owned subsidiary of Skywest, INC. The same as ASA!
You boys keep telling us to watch out, I would not want to be working for ASA, well lets reverse this, what is to stop Skywest, INC from transferring assets to ASA! I will tell you, ONE LIST. Get ALPA on the property over there and lets prevent the whipsaw before it happens , it can happen to you guys too, NOT JUST ASA. You are just as vulnerable as we are.

PBR that was a bunch of wacked out math. What happens when people start year two of longevity, do you fire them and start over as well. That was pretty stupid!

Last edited:
scarlet said:

Unfortunately, SkyWest has already been down this road before and it worked beautifully for management. At that time, (1998) SkyWest bought WestAir's assets and left the pilots to fend for themselves on the streets. Of course, a large number of those pilots were re-hired at SkyWest, as new-hires. The net result was you had the exact same pilots flying the exact same airplanes, only they started over on the bottom of the seniority list, making new-hire wages.

Latest resources

Back