SkyWest to open a CRJ PDX and SEA base in July

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Arian,

lemme sum up all the hatin' coming your way.

-you're lying about what you make
-none of it matters if it's not done under the mighty ALPA banner
-just wait, your day is coming. it can't last forever.
-blah, blah, blah

as soon as the usual suspects put down their spank mags, er, I mean ALPA mags, they'll pile on with the usual drivel.

enjoy your better overall pay and QOL. there's a reason why SkyWest gets the most hits of all regionals on interview gouge sites.

Subpar? Your post sounds more like unsubstantiated rumor instead of facts. SkyWest Airlines, even with no legally binding contract, is among the top paying regional airlines in the industry.

If you look at hourly pay rates, youre fooling yourself. You have to look at the overall compensation package. 100% Deadhead pay, 100% cancelation pay, 100% pay to/from training etc etc.

We get all of these perks that most other regionals do not. They might have higher pay rates, but if you look at W2's at the end of the year, we are at the top.

I made $107,000 last year on 6/7th CA year pay. Had I not been a commuter, I probably would have made another $7-10,000, as I had to bid for trips that had to be commutable. Most of the trips I held paid no less than 20 hours for a 4 day, and averaged 22 hours. I could have held the 25 hour 4 days, but they started at 5am-12pm, which were non-commutable.

My FO I just flew with has been here 3.5 years and is on track to make $52,000 this year. He is also a commuter. The guys that have been on the bottom for the last 3-4 year hiring stop are the vocal 10% minority who complain the loudest.

Can you break this down a bit? By my math you credited 120 hours per month on average.

Can you break this down a bit? By my math you credited 120 hours per month on average.

Yep....120 hours/month and by his admission he was working 22 hour 4-day trips. Thats 8-9 days off per month on average. Sounds like a wonderful lifestyle. :rolleyes:

Do you have to be senior to hold schedules like that?

If you add your perdiem, bonus you can break $100K a year as a 6th year Captain... I avarage 105hrs credit.. Plus 10-15hrs of that is JM pay also.. And we bid 12 times a year and Horizon only bids 11 .. You can nit-pick both airlines. But in the end we all make within 10-20K + or - of each other... Big deal. Im happy at SkyWest, Im happy were i live , ski 3-4 days a week in the winter, and pack on the miles on my road bike in the summer and don't commute... All this does'nt meen im not looking to move on though.. We also have our own problems. Low staffing, can't get vacation, ect....

If you look at hourly pay rates, youre fooling yourself. You have to look at the overall compensation package. 100% Deadhead pay, 100% cancelation
pay, 100% pay to/from training etc etc.

Ah I worked at a regional from 2000-2006. I had each of these 'perks' (plus many other CONTRACTUAL work rules) the entire time. So what are these perks you speak of then? BTW great that you think of work rules as 'perks'. That way if they go away you can just say well it was just a 'perk' anyways.

Also management gives those of you that think of per diem as compensation a serious tip of the hat. Reminds me of hearing FA's talking about the need to pick up a trip so they can make up for lost per diem. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There's no group I'd rather be whipsawed against than Skywest! It's like they enjoy being Dr Evil's pet cat.

Ah I worked at a regional from 2000-2006. I had each of these 'perks' (plus many other CONTRACTUAL work rules) the entire time. So what are these perks you speak of then? BTW great that you think of work rules as 'perks'. That way if they go away you can just say well it was just a 'perk' anyways.

So if these are such basic work rules, then why are there SEVERAL union regionals that don't have them as part of their great contracts?

Just asking...

Well said baronman.

I always imagine a whiny 14 year old kid who's epaulettes are on upside down yelling/singing "I don't pay 2 percent, I don't pay 2 percent"

So if these are such basic work rules, then why are there SEVERAL union regionals that don't have them as part of their great contracts?

Just asking...

Because their companies suck. You work for a good company with good leadership. That means that they can afford to deal with a well represented group.

Just because they give you a little loving every time their other airlines force some loving doesn't make you smarter, it just makes you a parasite.
(not in a disrespectful way, but in the free-loader kind of way)

Rather than look at the bad airlines that have bad work rules, why don't skywest pilots look at all the good companies employee groups that are represented and realize that Unlcle Jerry won't take you out of the will just because you stand up for yourselves?

Latest resources

Back