• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest to buy Mesaba?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Typical, got my hopes up for nothing thanks for the clarification. Well Mesaba "F-you Friday" CEO update, will be on thursday since all the managers will be bailing on friday to celebrate the fourth of July.

Great company, great people too bad in the business world that doesn't account for squat to the bean counters.

Every talks about how Mesaba will be merged with ASA if this buyout happens. Has anyone noticed that Skywest in the past month or so has positioned itself with a big presence in MSP with alot of flying there already. This couldn't happen of course without Delta's blessings. We were even told unofficially recently that there was going to be base announcement for MSP soon.

Me thinks either Mesaba will be bought and operated as a standalone airline or bought just for it's assets and planes. I hope it's not bought for it's assets and planes by Skywest. It will be very bad.

Can someone actually provide some concrete info on what Mesaba's assets are?

Mesaba has 28 Saabs to be phased out, 19 CRJ200s and 41 CRJ900. Skywest has only 21 CRJ900s and ASA has only 10 CRJ900s. Its those 900s I think Skywest, Inc really wants.

Every talks about how Mesaba will be merged with ASA if this buyout happens. Has anyone noticed that Skywest in the past month or so has positioned itself with a big presence in MSP with alot of flying there already. This couldn't happen of course without Delta's blessings. We were even told unofficially recently that there was going to be base announcement for MSP soon.

Me thinks either Mesaba will be bought and operated as a standalone airline or bought just for it's assets and planes. I hope it's not bought for it's assets and planes by Skywest. It will be very bad.

The other thing to think about is all the Mesaba 900's flying out of SLC. If you think Inc is going to bring ASA/Mesaba merged pilots out to do that flying you are crazy. Those airframes would just go to Skywest. I have been hearing about this happening for months.

Unfortunately, flying for Delta does not make you an affiliate.

Applicable NWA contract language:

The term "Affiliate" means (i) NAC (NORTHWEST AIRLINES [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]CORPORATION)[/FONT][/FONT], (ii) any subsidiary, parent or division of the Company or NAC or any subsidiary, parent or division of either a parent or subsidiary of the Company or NAC or (iii) any entity that controls or manages NAC or the Company or is controlled by or managed by NAC or the Company.

"Participating Feeder Carrier" means a Domestic Air Carrier that is a Feeder Carrier (both as defined in Section 1 B.7.a. and Section 1 B.7.c.(1) of the Agreement) that has contracted with the Company to operate Qualifying Aircraft.

"Qualifying Aircraft" means a 51-76 seat aircraft as defined in Section 1.B[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]. [/FONT]7.c.(1) of the ALPA Restructuring Agreement. [/FONT]

a. "Category 1 Participating Feeder Carrier" means a Participating Feeder Carrier that is an Affiliate of the Company.

b. "Category 2 Participating Feeder Carrier" means a Participating Feeder Carrier that is not an Affiliate of the Company and that operates Qualifying Aircraft that are owned, financed, leased, or sub-leased by the Company (not including the AVRO85 replacements at Mesaba Airlines).

c. "Category 3 Participating Feeder Carrier" means a Participating Feeder Carrier that is not an Affiliate of the Company and that operates Qualifying Aircraft that are not owned, financed, leased or sub-leased by the Company.

Offers of Opportunity (Filling of Vacancies)
1. A Category 1 Participating Feeder Carrier shall make 100% of New Positions (Captain and First Officer) and 100% of Backfill Positions available to Eligible Furloughed Pilots.

2. A Category 2 Participating Feeder Carrier shall make 50% of New Positions (Captain and First Officer) and 100% of Backfill Positions available to Eligible Furloughed Pilots, subject to conditions and restrictions that provide for efficient and timely processing and hiring of such Eligible Furloughed Pilots.

3. The Company will provide enhanced opportunities for a laid off Company pilot to obtain pilot employment at a Category 3 Participating Feeder Carrier. As part of the negotiation of a new ASA agreement, or to amend an existing ASA agreement with a Category 3 Participating Feeder Carrier, the Human Resources Departments of the Company and such Feeder Carrier will develop a mutually acceptable program that will serve to provide laid off Company pilots who meet all other pilot hiring criteria defined by such Feeder Carrier with "additional weighting" relative to other pilot candidates not already employed by such Feeder Carrier. Nothing in this program will guarantee that any laid off Company pilot will be hired ahead of other candidates who are not laid off Company pilots

MSA Flow history lesson:

The reason MSA had a flow agreement put in place was because of a grievance settlement. By purchasing MSA, it became an “affiliate” under the NWA CBA (aka Category 1 Participating Feeder Carrier), which is why the flowthrough was put into place. See NWA LOAs 2007-04 & 05 (which resulted in NWA LOA 2008-01 MSA flowthrough agreement).

If MSA was not an affiliate (e.g., Pinnacle) they would have been a category 2 feeder carrier if NWA owned the planes. If NWA did not control the planes, it would have been category 3.

Pinnacle was not a "participating" feeder carrier because they did not operate "qualifying aircraft". By selling MSA & the planes, what's left becomes a category 3 feeder carrier. The company voids NWA LOA 2008-01, and thus no flow.

Well written. Thanks for the info on the topic.

Latest resources

Back