• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest talking pilot pay raise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Our MEC listed a "bucket" reserve system as a more attractive replacement for our current 2 hour non-accountable reserve system. This was touted as a victory for the ASA pilots.

What about the "bucket" system do you hate? We have never experienced it so we don't know what we are getting into perhaps?
If you haven't experienced it, bend over and spread your cheeks and run backwards toward the telephone pole. Senority no longer matters, if you are available for a 4 day trip and one comes up, you get it, 3 day ect. If Skywest is offering it you can bet it is a QOL decrease and a moneymaker for the company. Skywest does nothing unless there is a profit or cost savings to the company. Your QOL means nothing to the corp. bean counters, you are a spreadsheet liability, a cost item, anything that will decrease the cash liability will be jammed in your poo hole without lube. As a former chief pilot told me while flying the line, Skywest is in the business of appeasement, they do just enough to keep the troops from burning the place down. If you only knew how much the Skywest managment group HATES unions you would question everything placed on the table with no small amount of scepticism! Good luck with your negotiations, you are gonna need it!
PBR

The deal is this. ASA is currently negotiating Skywest pilots a contract right now. We fight for 4-5 years for a fair contract, while Skywest Inc transfers a quarter of our fleet to your pilots, and you will piggyback off our fight. JA will give the SKW pilots equal to what we get to placate those pilots in order to keep the Union away. The very Union that essentially will negotiate what SKW pilots get. Don't even try to diagree, because you know you guys will demand at least what ASA negotiates out of fairness. ASA pilots take up the fight, incurr all the risks, while SKW pilots reap all the rewards, before, during and after ASA's Union negotiations.

I think a thank you is in order!

As a SKYW current pilot, I will answer the question. I was employeed by Trans States '98-'00, I will be voting to bring ALPA on the property. Most of the nay-sayers on this board are new employees and serious kool-aid drinkers. I have seen the loss of work rules and lack of pay increases. SKYW makes millions in profit and we get PBS, "the bucket reserve system" and a long list of other QOL decreases in return.
Wake up
PBR

We gave them the bucket reserve system in exchange for being able to say no to junior manning and we got a 2 hour call out in some domiciles. PBS is actually something the pilot group, through SAPA, asked for. It's resulted in an increase in quality of life for a lot of people. The top 1/3 of the people on reserve got lines for example. A lot of the issues I hear about PBS are really issues with the quality of the pairings. SAPA has several reps in SGU every month looking at the pairings and trying to improve them and they usually say they are as good as they can be based on the flight schedules handed down from UAL and DAL.

Is it possible, in your view, for someone to not want ALPA at Skywest and also not be a cool-aid drinker?

Scott

The deal is this. ASA is currently negotiating Skywest pilots a contract right now. We fight for 4-5 years for a fair contract, while Skywest Inc transfers a quarter of our fleet to your pilots, and you will piggyback off our fight. JA will give the SKW pilots equal to what we get to placate those pilots in order to keep the Union away. The very Union that essentially will negotiate what SKW pilots get. Don't even try to diagree, because you know you guys will demand at least what ASA negotiates out of fairness. ASA pilots take up the fight, incurr all the risks, while SKW pilots reap all the rewards, before, during and after ASA's Union negotiations.

The Skywest contract has been used as leverage during negotiations for other regional airlines over the years. It works both ways.

We've been fighting for a better contract too.

Scott

Spot On.

The Skywest contract has been used as leverage during negotiations for other regional airlines over the years. It works both ways.

We've been fighting for a better contract too.

Scott

Excatly...PSA being approached to fly 900's for the same pay...I'm sure all the other carriers in distress right now are facing it as well.

I didn't see much of a fight for your current 50 pay for all agreement. Anyone that thought 18 months later the payrates that were used to justify bringing the a/c on the property in the first place were going to change for the better was lying to themselves.

no one is happy about the pay on the 70/90. did I ever say I was? all I'm saying, is that in the end I feel I'm doing better here than I would be at, oh I don't know, Comair. how's things going over there? how's the future looking?

Do you think your pay on the 70/90 and the stormy future at Comair just might be related???

Who has betrayed whom? The pilot group? Please. Who has refused to amend (ie. undo the lower of the two rates for the RJ) the 18 month (in excess of three years worth; do the math. It was mid '03) TA? Us? No. It was SGU.

Who dangled many carrots in front of the pilot group just prior to a drive vote, only to say "well, we've got more pressing issues right now. Pay will have to take a back seat (read: throw a leg over each front seat, and hang on for the fu%^ing of your lifetime), and tell the pilot group at SKYW to pound sand? Us? No. It was SGU (each and every time).

Who shoved PBS down our throats? Us? No. It was SGU.

Is this the kind of relationship you enjoy?

AF :cool:
Who took major paycuts, lost pensions, LOWERED THE BAR, lowered QOL, and even some quit to get other jobs.....alpa carrieres! GO alpa? THEBEST

You also forgot we get to keep our 2%.
We could say you're not very bright, but OK, thankyou......

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back