• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest talking pilot pay raise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We gave them the bucket reserve system in exchange for being able to say no to junior manning and we got a 2 hour call out in some domiciles. PBS is actually something the pilot group, through SAPA, asked for. It's resulted in an increase in quality of life for a lot of people. The top 1/3 of the people on reserve got lines for example. A lot of the issues I hear about PBS are really issues with the quality of the pairings. SAPA has several reps in SGU every month looking at the pairings and trying to improve them and they usually say they are as good as they can be based on the flight schedules handed down from UAL and DAL.

Is it possible, in your view, for someone to not want ALPA at Skywest and also not be a cool-aid drinker?

Scott
Well,
NO, SAPA is a company funded tool for implimentation of policy changes, without having to "deal" directly with the pilot group. For the record those "new lineholders were flying(reserve) lines anyway, so not much difference anyway.
The new PBS created a new concept, 24/7/365 reserve for everyone, senority #1 on down. I wanna fly 4 day trips, I get those and whatever else the company has left over on my schedule. The pairings are the only the tip of the iceberg, check the monthly line requirements for staffing. I am one of the people who likes to fly the minimum 75-80 hrs. Guess what last month was 96+. 2hr callout where? ORD,DEN,LAX it is impossible to get to these airports in less than time than that if you are anywhere other than the parking lot. JR manning wasn't working so the company had to try something else, the implimentation of PBS was on the books no matter what SAPA or anyone else wanted. For the record I bid in the top 25% of the company and in the top 3rd in my domicile. Guess what I get my first choice and the companys first choice whatever else they need covered. My yearly block will be almost at 1000hrs by the 3rd week of Dec. The company is making record(amount) profits and still cannot take enough from the pilot group to increase the profits. you have seen the list of failed promises BH and the rest of the managment team has to their credit. I just do not wanna loose more than we already have. I want every pilot on the list to get a fair wage and opportunity, not just the guys lucky enough to be hired soon enough to upgrade and make more. For JA and BH to negate a collectively bargained contract would require a slide into a zone that they are loathe to go (Bankruptcy), even then if the company was in such dire straits I would gladly/willingly negotiate givebacks. We haven't recieved anything in return for all the QOL decreases issued to us. In short, if you cannot or are not willing to evaluate the issues then maybe you are a kool-aid drinker. You tell me why ALPA should be kept off the property.
Here ya go....
PBR

Another SAPA rep is now an asst. Chief Pilot in FAT.

Last edited:
PBR,

you sound very unhappy at SkyWest. I'm assuming you're a CA? have you investigated moving on to SWA, JB, or anywhere else?

Yeah PBR, why try and fix things for the people who are at SkyWest for the long haul? Can't you be a little more short-sighted? Can't you be more self-interested and less concerned about the problems at SkyWest that don't affect you personally? You could learn a great deal from SkyNation (about being a tool.)

PBR,

you sound very unhappy at SkyWest. I'm assuming you're a CA? have you investigated moving on to SWA, JB, or anywhere else?
Well,
Is it itchy or scratchy? I am a firm believer in leaving every thing I touch a little better that when I got it, from the airplanes I fly, to the job I have and may or may not leave.. I am assuming you are an f/o just foaming at the mouth to upgrade and make a living. I was on my way out on 9/11, and have seen all of this unfold, if you watched it from inside as well, then good for you and your ability to ignore the obvious. I believe that what is good for the guy at the bottom, is good for the guy at the top too! BTW I am not unhappy at SKYW, I just refuse to accept the status quo!
PBR

PBR,

I find it humorus that you assume I am a CA, does that imply that those who have been around awhile might be pissed because of the changes imposed? Might that also imply that you might be kinda new to the game? One never knows when the music might stop, it is just another terrorist event from slowing the industry. "Those who refuse to study history, are doomed to repeat it" Read Flying the Line sometime, it is really kinda entertaining. Pilots keep repeating the same mistakes over and over. ALPA nor anyone else will be able to prevent the same mistakes from happening over and over, you have to want to change it. All of the stuff going on now, is now being repeated on a new generation. Actually Flying the Line is the blueprint for current CEOs wanting to lower their costs, and pilots just keep falling for the same sucker pitch.
enjoy
PBR

Last edited:
We gave them the bucket reserve system in exchange for being able to say no to junior manning and we got a 2 hour call out in some domiciles. PBS is actually something the pilot group, through SAPA, asked for.

Want some ice with that Kool-Aid?
You got voluntary JM because people used caller ID and ignored the phone.
You got a 2 hour callout because hardly anyone could make to the crew lounge in 90 minutes unless they already happened to be in the ORD or DEN parking lot. It was your CP's getting tired of having to talk to people about late shows that resulted in the policy change. Thank your CP's, not SAPA.

The pilot group asked for PBS??? WTF have you been smoking?
Did you get a chance to vote on it or were you simply informed that it was coming down the pike?
If the entire pilot group could vote on keeping PBS or getting rid of it how would that vote turn out?
Those senior reserve guys might have composite lines but you also have some guys getting composite lines with reserve days tacked on that hadn't had to sit a day of reserve in years.
How do you feel about working more for less? Like the 365 day transition period? Far less vacation time sit just fine with you?

Any other concessions you're hoping for?

Best of luck in your quest to be a chief pilot. You seem well qualifed.

Last edited:
The Skywest contract has been used as leverage during negotiations for other regional airlines over the years. It works both ways.

We've been fighting for a better contract too.

Scott
SKYW does not currently have a contract. A contract is legally binding agreement with provisions of enforcement other than whining about penstroke policy changes to your CPM.

No carrier has used SKYW terms of employment as a negotiating tool in the past 5 or 6 years. Well maybe Great Lakes has.

You've been fighting for a contract Scotty? Really? So you finally decided to put down the glass o' kool-aid and filled out a card requesting a union election.

Glad to hear you've come around. I was starting to lose hope. A legally recognized and binding contract is a worthwhile goal. Glad to hear you've decided to support a union on the property.

SKYW does not currently have a contract. A contract is legally binding agreement with provisions of enforcement other than whining about penstroke policy changes to your CPM.

No carrier has used SKYW terms of employment as a negotiating tool in the past 5 or 6 years. Well maybe Great Lakes has.

You've been fighting for a contract Scotty? Really? So you finally decided to put down the glass o' kool-aid and filled out a card requesting a union election.

Glad to hear you've come around. I was starting to lose hope. A legally recognized and binding contract is a worthwhile goal. Glad to hear you've decided to support a union on the property.

Legally recognized and binding contract? Ya sure, tell that to the thosands that lost their pension's! Oh ya, what about the legaly recognized and binding contract regarding PAY! oops! GO alpa?

TTHEBEST

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back