• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKYWEST Pilots: SAY NO TO ALPA!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No moron, management pissed in your wheaties. ALPA tried it's best to protect you from it, yet all you did was bitch and moan and call them the enemy. You are so blinded by your hate for a bunch of hard working volunteers that you can't see that it is management who has run this airline into the ground.

first off grow up..we don't have to call each other names...but you're right..ASA management pissed in my wheaties too..Here at skywest, there is a great (great means existant) relationship between pilots and management...and i'm not blinded by hate for a hard working bunch of volunteers..i'm sick of a bunch of greedy reps fighting over nickels and dimes...the longer the negotiations go on..the more management and alpa hates each other...what are you guys gonna do? strike? you'd get canned so fast it wouldn't be funny...and please don't think i'm on managements side..i hated management too..they are the worst i've ever seen anywhere..but the difference between skywest and - asa, comair, mesaba, tsa...is great management and no alpa...we're growing...who else is?

What are the skywest pilots going to do about bankruptcy laws?
What are Skywest pilots going to do about globlization and brand alliances?

What are SkyWest's pilots going to do that others haven't been able to do? How are SkyWest's pilots going to stop what legacy pilots been unable to stop?

Last edited:
One last thought. The main drive for a union seems to be because they have a single pay rate for 50, 70, and 90 seaters. At most we are talking a few bucks an hour. Is that one issue really that big a deal, in the grand scheme of things?

12 year 90 seat Captain at Skywest: $78
12 year 70 seat Captain at Comair: $99

Yeah, that's a couple of bucks.

The only conceivable reason I could see why SkyWest should vote for ALPA is for protection if ASA pilots strike. If SKYW management made their pilot's fly the ASA routes and the pilots chose not to, then you've simply lost your job. There's no question that any SkyWest pilot flying ASA routes, while ASA is striking, will be placed on the notorious scab list. That is something you do not want to be on.

People keep bringing up the CRJ-900's for 50 seat pay. Folks, with or without ALPA, those payrates will not budge until SkyWest (and their pilots) are darn-well ready to increase them. Everyone bringing this issue up doesn't work at SkyWest. There's is more to your annual income than your hourly wage. Benefits, reward programs, and bonuses are a big part of SkyWest's employee pay. I'd like to hear from another successful regional airline that comes close to their total compensation package.

Rez, you keep bringing up all these global laws/issues that will negatively effect SkyWest and their pilots. If SkyWest management has kept such a strong relationship with their pilot group for 29 years, why would they be totally oblivious to things on the horizon that could hurt their company and it's employees now? ALPA isn't the only association looking out for the industry. Sometimes it's the industry itself.

I think for the most part you all agree SkyWest pilots have it fairly good. They also seem to make very strong positive comments about their QOL/pay here. Is 2% of their paycheck worth additional insurances that they haven't needed for 29 years? Will the presence of ALPA negatively change their employee-management communications? Is the threat of SkyWest pilots being labeled scabs the real motivator to vote yes? Is it inevitable that management will always eventually screw it's employees? Are employees that enjoy their work, management, and pay really just drinking kool-aid because some guy at some other company hates his/her job?

There's alot of pros and cons here. I wish you folks at SkyWest the best. We're all in this together and we all effect the standards of the industry, with or without ALPA. ALPA does not set the industry standard. The pilots, union and non-union, do.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I'm sure the rest of you do.

Have a good 'un now!

g

12 year 90 seat Captain at Skywest: $78
12 year 70 seat Captain at Comair: $99

Yeah, that's a couple of bucks.

And how long does it take to upgrade to Captain at Comair? Guy #1 upgrades to captain at SkyWest on year 3 while Guy #2 sits as FO at Comair for... how long again? It's all relative. And how many people really sit at a regional for 12 years?

If you want to make a Doctor's pay you don't stay a nurse your whole life.... and you probably don't become a pilot. lol

g

Ok I have have 121 experience with ALPA and I am happy with our MEC and LEC. I would be very concerned to not have a union, especially in this industry environment. Your MEC or "your ALPA" is what you make of it. You can have a very different opinion of ALPA national. I know I do.

(I do not work for SkyWest or ASA, I'm just offering my opinion on ALPA)
Ya, Delta, United pilots, etc are glad they have alpa too? THEBEST

And how long does it take to upgrade to Captain at Comair? Guy #1 upgrades to captain at SkyWest on year 3 while Guy #2 sits as FO at Comair for... how long again? It's all relative. And how many people really sit at a regional for 12 years?

I have no idea how long a 12 year Captain at Comair was a First Officer. Most of the guys I fly with were either never FOs or FOs for a few months. Growth can't continue indefinately.

Second year 70 seat FO at Comair: $41
Second year 90 seat FO at Skywest: $35

It's true that you guys are paid well, but you could do better.

If you want to make a Doctor's pay you don't stay a nurse your whole life.... and you probably don't become a pilot. lol

g

That has absolutely nothing to do with it. Just because upgrades are 24 months now at SkyWest does not mean they will not be at ASA or Eagle levels someday.

This industry is cyclical. SkyWest is at the top of the heap right now, but may or may not be 5 years from now.

If you're in trouble and fill out an ASAP report, you can't lose your job! Even with an ALPA lawyer you still run the risk of losing your case! And even now if you need a lawyer, SkyWest will provide you one for free!

Completely incorrect. Filling out an ASAP will NOT, once again, will NOT, keep you from losing your job. It only keeps the FAA from violating you. If you are an idiot, the company can still fire you.

SkyWest will only provide you with a lawyer if they want to, they are not required to do so. If they decide to fire you, I guarantee you will not receive legal help from SkyWest.

Actually, the pilots I know from UAL are pretty happy they have ALPA, since without them, the cuts they endured would have been even worse. And, of course, without ALPA they never would have gotten contract 2000, either.

Peace.

Rekks.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back