• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest + Continental = Love

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guppy Puppy, I am with ya!!! It mostly has to do with that fact that I am a SW pool man...but here's a question.

(I realize that I ask this at the risk of being "black balled"...at least as much as a person can be when no one knows who I am...)

So, I'm taking all opinions on why Xjet guys should be put on line before poolies? If they wanted to work for SkyWest why didn't they interview like the rest of us? Yes, I understand that these are "old xjet routs" but if xjet could still staff and fly them why aren't they...?

It seems to me (IMHO), that if SkyWest is going to be the name on the paycheck, than it should be guys that wanted to work for SkyWest sitting in the front office, not guys who chose to work for another airline...

Now, with that being said, I am all for ya'll getting a special look when you come to SLC to interview but moving to the front of the line will only put a bad taste in the mouths of us poolies. Granted there are only 60 of us but I was told at the interview that we were the future of SkyWest...

As a side, it really sucks that some of you dudes are out of work. I'm sure there are a few of you that I went to school with...Good luck!!

Jeepman said:
Rank & File

You are 100% correct. There is no way the majority of SkyWest pilots would be stupid enough to let ALPA in. Look what ALPA has done for MESA. "Oh, you had better sign this this is the best it is going to be" What kind of ALPA garbage is that. The ONLY reason ALPA wanted MESA to sign their HORRIBLE TA is so that ALPA could make money off of poor regional pilots.

If we do get a union it will be a SkyWest pilot union. ALPA only cares about ALPA & the majors.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not "pro Alpa" by any means, but it cracks me up when people blame alpo because mesa's pilot group are a bunch of coochies. The correct statement would be: Look what Mesa has done for Mesa. They didn't HAVE to sign anything. I'm not saying alpo is completely innocent but DAM. I hope we do get an internal union at SkyWest.

:)

Last edited:
I'm surprised

I turned down a position at CommutAir. Why?? Certainly not because I'm an RJ stud and too good for the Beech. Certainly not because I'm an XJT stud and too good for CommutAir. So why then??? Personal and professional reasons at the time. I spoke with my wife about it, and we decided to bypass for financial reasons. From a pilot's point of view, I didn't want to endure 2 training cycles ( on 2 diff A/C) in 2 months. That's why. Did my decision matter?? Nope. XJT management ended up bypassing us anyway for the same reasons. It cost me $1000's for not signing, and my May recall class was cancelled puting me on the street again. Anyway, it's a decision I made and will have to live with. It's a decision many XJT pilots made- but none of us made it because we are on some high and mighty power trip.

Now there may be a similar situation developing with Skywest. Are you telling me I don't deserve an opportunity because I originally bypassed CommutAir?? That's just wrong. As it turns out, the job I did have is entering the off-season and I will struggle for the next 4 months to pay bills. At this point I don't expect anything from XJT union/management. I've lost all faith really. But if I'm offered an interview or position with Skywest this summer, I'm in. I would love to fly EMB120's for Skywest. I will go to work with the same positive attitude I had for 8 months at XJT, and enjoy every day I have in the sky. No questions asked.

Finally, do I want to take a position from a Skywest poolie? NO WAY! I hope it's arranged so both furloughees (XJT) and poolies (SKY) are given an opportunity to get back to work. I don't care if they flip a coin to see who goes to training first. There's no reason for any bad blood between the two- let's not go there guys.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.........................

ATTN: All Coex pilots

I'm not trying to create any bad blood between CommutAir and Coex pilot groups. I have nothing but good experiences in my dealings with Coex pilots. Most of the guys have been very friendly and many have even offered drinks and snacks when our paths cross. You have welcomed us into CLE and treated us with respect. The Coex guys who took jobs at Commutair are great. Many of the things I said are based off threads from the Calforums board as well as Flight info when the Prop MOU was first announced. I'm not going to go back and research all the threads but I know what I read. It is those guys that thought they were above the rest of us that I have a problem with. With that said, it is my wish that CA and Coex work together and keep management from putting us in a situation where we are forced to work against each other. CAL just announced they are selling all their shares of XJET and it appears they may be positioning themselves to obtain feed from other carriers should Coex decide to strike. I just don't want to be caught in the middle when things get ugly. I wish no ill will toward any Coex pilot but reserve the right to express my opinions in regards to the people who said they would never take a job flying a prop. It's just my opinion. Just like you have your opinion. I respect your opinion but I don't have to agree.

Nuff said, no offense taken SoCal

I too have had nothing but good experience with the CA folks. I just hate to see damaging rhetoric on these boards (Calforums)when in reality the cooperation is good. The level of cooperations has been much better than I expected frankly. I'm proud of our pilot group. I think under the circumstances there are plenty of other groups who might find it harder to get along.

BTW, CAL did not announce that they were divesting themselves of XJT. They simply made it easier to sell the stock in pieces or in chunks. In addition, they would not need to sell XJT in order to contract with other cariers in the event of a work stopage at XJT. Our agreement with them allows them to do so anyway. At day 90 of a strike CAL takes posession of all our A/C.

Struck work anyone?? Any takers?? I doubt it.

JUNE 1

TALKED TOA CHECK AIRMAN 30 MINUTES AGO. SAID THE SKYWEST THING WAS A DONE DEAL. STARTING JUNE 1 IN IAH. UP TO 30 E-120'S TO BE FLOWN BY CAL/CALEX PILOTS. SOME OFF OUR OLD E-120'S I KNOW MAYBE SOME OF SKYWEST'S A/C ALSO. POSSIBLY ALL SEATS FILLED BY FURLOUGHED GUYS BUT NOT SURE. TO START JUNE 1 THOUGH, GUYS WOULD HAVE TO BE IN TRAINING NOW, SO WHAT GIVES?

I would be VERY surprised to see Skywest enter into any deal that would have ALL seats filled with a company's furloughed pilots. They considered a J4J with US Air awhile back for some ungodly amount of jets to be flown back east. They submitted it to the pilot group to wiegh the support and it was turned down with a resounding majority, (something like 85% against). I think that they honored the pilot groups wishes because they really want to keep morale as high as possible and avoid a union push to be a viable possibility.

Problem is that the US Air deal involved both left and right seats and really would've screwed Skywest guys out of their seniority. If they enter into a deal with CAL in the E-120 that effectively does the same thing, how quickly would the pilots unite?

My guess is that it will involve giving priority interviewing to the CAL/COEX guys and put them on the bottom of the list while allowing them to maintain their seniority at their respective company.

Just my speculation tho....good luck to all. Hope everyone can be back flying soon!

If we start up an operation in HOU these positions will be filled by a system wide bid which would allow any pilot on the senority list to bid for it. That being said I imagine it will go very junior, with most if not all FO positions going to newhires. Any Captain position would be filled by this bid as well. The only way it would go to someone not currently on our senority list (and to a new hire) is if they don't get enough bids for the position. Additonally, I'd think that the guys in the pool probably should plan on heading to Texas unless they're being hired into the jet.

This is how all positions have been filled in the past -- by senority.

If the company plans on doing anything else it would be a good way to piss off 1400 pilots and fire up a union drive.

(By the way I'm not Socalpilot)

I'm one of the guys who took the job at Commutair and would definitely want the opportunity to work at Skywest since I live out west. The way the union has informed me the only flying so far are is the VCT EAS until the union and the company agree on what to do. Our turboprop MOU states that our furloughed pilots should take these jobs. If this would happen we would get stapled to bottom of the current Skywest seniority, not integrated, which would be fair. Also, as we did at Commutair there would be no interview, only a lets get to know each other session. We would be guaranteed the spots. The Brasilia’s that will be flying are the ex Coex ones and many are fully refurbished and brand new (I used to fly one). As far as the poolies go I don’t know. Since they are not officially hired until finishing training, I think they will come onboard after the coex guys. This deal would benefit them as well since there is going to be expansion. The other way the poolies will benefit from this deal is that our union would not agree to Skywest not paying us during training, so that should set precedence. Now this the way it worked out at Commutair and we might work out a different deal in this situation. No matter what the deal should benefit both pilot groups. I have two good friends that have had their classes canceled ( one had already quit his job ) and love to be flying with both of them soon.

Obi-Wan said:
Also, as we did at Commutair there would be no interview, only a lets get to know each other session. We would be guaranteed the spots.

Something tells me that won't work out that way. I bet you get preferential interviews though. There are probably people at Coex that interviewed previously @ SkyWest unsuccessfully. Chances are they won't just open the floodgates. I admit that it's simply a WAG on my part but I'd bet a 6-pack on it.

Latest resources

Back