SkyWest + Continental = Love

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATRCA said:
At day 90 of a strike CAL takes posession of all our A/C.

Struck work anyone?? Any takers?? I doubt it.

What's to stop CommutAir? As pilots for a non-union carrier, CommutAir pilots might be faced with that very proposition if our company decides to help fill the void in the event of a strike by XJT. Frankly, I'd let them fire me before I'd fly struck routes, but hopefully our work to bring ALPA into CommutAir will keep me from having to make that choice because it'll be a provision in our contract.

And Rank&File, we've been trying to organize a union at CommutAir since before the codeshare with Continental was even in discussions. A core group of CommutAir pilots has been working very hard to bring ALPA in ourselves. CAL ALPA is now assisting us because we want them to, but don't think for a minute that it's an outside group wanting us to be ALPA. Quite the contrary.

Something tells me that won't work out that way. I bet you get preferential interviews though. There are probably people at Coex that interviewed previously @ SkyWest unsuccessfully. Chances are they won't just open the floodgates. I admit that it's simply a WAG on my part but I'd bet a 6-pack on it.
I'm sure the opposite is true as well. But if this deal was to be worked out it would be a guranteed job. Also, if a person does not pass an initial interview and some one else does it does not necessarily mean one pilot in better than the other. As a matter of fact a friend of mine that was fuloughed from a major with lots hour under his belt failed the sim at Skywest and some intructors made it. But as we all know the level of experience shows up latter on in the training cycle when the less experienced guys need more sim , AC training and IOE which costs a lot of money. Skywest knows this as well thats why a few months ago when they where doing interviews still they where giving some guys with lots of 121 time the option to bypass the sim. I have flown the 120 before and am flying the 1900 now. So have many other Coex pilots. The floodgates would be open to experienced pilots.
What's to stop CommutAir? As pilots for a non-union carrier, CommutAir pilots might be faced with that very proposition if our company decides to help fill the void in the event of a strike by XJT.
Commutair does not have the capacity or the financial backing to take on such a task. You know that they offered us the houston flying before Skywest and we turned it down. Skywest does not have 200 Rjs like coex either to do this. Also, coex will be the exclusive operator for CAL until 2006, thats in writing. The real reason why Coex does not want to do the prop flying is that they want to get larger AC in the future and no it wont be a streched out RJ.

Obi-Wan said:
If this would happen we would get stapled to bottom of the current Skywest seniority, not integrated, which would be fair. Also, as we did at Commutair there would be no interview, only a lets get to know each other session. We would be guaranteed the spots.

Are you on the SKW management team? You seem to know exactly what will happen.

The West air guys had to interview ALL OVER. They weren't guaranteed anything and SKW took over the company. What makes you so SURE that things will play out this way. I wouldn't be so sure.....

obi-

I do not think that anyone knows except management and we will all have to wait and see what really happens here. You have an opinion and that is all that you have, just as I do.. What you think should happen and what does happen will probably be two differing circumstances...

Take care!

The West air guys had to interview ALL OVER.
Ah,

WestAir was bought by Mesa who then lost the UAL contact. Westair Pilots should have been interviewed and not just hired automatically. Skywest didn't buy them!

Last edited:
Are you on the SKW management team? You seem to know exactly what will happen.
The West air guys had to interview ALL OVER. They weren't guaranteed anything and SKW took over the company. What makes you so SURE that things will play out this way. I wouldn't be so sure.....
No, but I am a CALALPA member an know what our contract and MOU says. Last time I checked Skywest is not buying CAL. Again thats how things are right now. Now our union in the interest of our pilot group might decide to do something diffrent and since we are in contract negotiations now we might change our mind if they give us something better. For example, some of the people who where eligable for jobs at Commutair where taken of the list and are getting a salary since they are due for recall soon. No matter how you look at it its a great opportunity for Skywest since United is not doing that great and Delta is expanding Comair in the west. If a few furloughed guys got a job at Skywest it would not change anything. Both parties come out on top here.
Again nothing is set in stone and I will post the new info as soon as I find out.

It's rather amusing to see what everyone else knows about what SkyWest is going to do in this situation. I work for SkyWest, and the only thing I know about the SW/CAL deal is what I've read on this forum. The company has made no formal announcements about anything. How do so many outsiders claim to know what's going on? Believe this: nothing can be believed until formal announcements are made. Until then, there's no point in getting your panties in a bunch. Everything else is just pure speculation.

just out of curiosity, where out of IAH will these 120s fly? what are the destinations? what kind of trips will the be, lots of locals or a mix of 3 and 4 days? are these cities that have gone unserved until now?

wondering

UP

iah

the cities i have heard: waco, tyler, victoria, killeen, san angelo, abilene ( all old beech/120 runs) also i heard 8-10 e-120's in iah, 20 or so in florida to supplement/replace gulfstream

Obi-Wan said:
Also, coex will be the exclusive operator for CAL until 2006, thats in writing. The real reason why Coex does not want to do the prop flying is that they want to get larger AC in the future and no it wont be a streched out RJ.

Actually it was extended until 2007 due to the jet deliveries being delayed. And Coex has no plans to get larger aircraft. The buisness plan is based on a single fleet type like Southwest. Before with 3 types we had an average of15% of pilots in training at any one time. Thats 300 pilots just sitting around getting paid with no productivity return. If we ever got bigger planes it would be a VERY cautious endever.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back