SkyWest + Continental = Love

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
socalpilot-
I can agree with that statement regarding not getting a second chance to participate in the offer. As far as the 33, about a dozen of them are in training right now at Xjet, supposed to hold a position on the next bid and if from here on out we only see expansion, should be okay. Sadly though, as traffic usually declines after the summer, block hours will fall and we could see them furloughed again. The remains of the 33 is up in the air. We are pay protected until the day we get back to Xjet. I even called the union once recalls were delayed and asked if I could go to Commutair now and the union told me to stop compaining, stay home and be happy that I am getting paid to do nothing. I guess it wouldnt make sense to you either if you were a line holding jet captain.
P.S. what part of so cal- I grew up in the south bay and flew out of TOA and SBA in the beginning.

Smoove Ride-
Thank god, and screw the dixie chicks.

scottm said:
Thank god, and screw the dixie chicks.

If I can get the blonde one on the right side of the Entertainment Weekly cover, you bet I'll be thanking someone!

Isn't it interesting that Continental chooses these non-union airlines to fly props into their hubs? This must be a huge slap in the face for the CALEX pilots. I know there is a concerted effort by CAL ALPA to get Commutair on board with ALPA, but Sky West is probably a lost cause. They'll never let the CAL and CALEX pilots pressure them into representation.

socalpilot;

You said something that I'm sure you couldnt have possibly witnessed or heard yourself.

Your inference that some of our furloughed pilots claimed to be too good for the Beech is total BS and I think you know that. Thats the kind of BS rhetoric that made things uncomfortable when the CA code-share was announced.

Your preoccupation with "arrogant" CoEx folks is tiring. You have 10% a$$holes in every pilot group and ours is no different I'm sure. I have not heard, seen or otherwise been made aware of anyone who wasnt anything but greatful that opportunities with CA were avaliable to our furloughed folks.

I was in CLE this moring and yesterday and heard nothing but good things about our guys and the CA pilots working relationship. If you have had a different experience then by all means, make us aware. I have said on this board before that the CA guys are welcome, however rhetoric like yours will only cause both our groups unneeded strife.

Cheers.

Rank & File

You are 100% correct. There is no way the majority of SkyWest pilots would be stupid enough to let ALPA in. Look what ALPA has done for MESA. "Oh, you had better sign this this is the best it is going to be" What kind of ALPA garbage is that. The ONLY reason ALPA wanted MESA to sign their HORRIBLE TA is so that ALPA could make money off of poor regional pilots.

If we do get a union it will be a SkyWest pilot union. ALPA only cares about ALPA & the majors.

As for the Coex deal if it was up to me, the Houston thing would be ALL COEX pilots. I like growth, but not at the expense of others.

Your a good man Jeepman,

While I'm not furloughed (yet) it is a bit painfull for our guys some of which were on the E120 when they were furloughed to see someone else fly old and current XJT routes while they sit home.

I hope something can be worked out that will benefit our guys yet couse no harm the the folks at SkyWest. There's no reason why something amicable to both groups can't be worked out.

See yah.:D

Jeepman said:

As for the Coex deal if it was up to me, the Houston thing would be ALL COEX pilots. I like growth, but not at the expense of others.

Kind of like the enormous growth that SkyWest has enjoyed over the past several years at the expense of United and Delta pilots?

I know that I may be comparing apples to oranges because SW flies RJ's and the majors don't. But, you can't argue the fact that most RJ destinations out of LAX and SFO are flying routes that used to be flown on 737's. I understand that especially in today's market certain city pairs cannot support a 737.

Would you be willing to let UA and DL pilots fly your RJs on those routes that were formerly using 737's? What if, SW got some B1900's to use for CO in IAH? Would you still want COEx pilots flying them? I am all for interviewing furloughed COEx pilots and placing them at the bottom of the seniority list, but to say that "..the Houston thing would be ALL COEx pilots..." is something I disagree with.

With little or no overall market growth over the past couple of years, most if not all growth has been at the expense of others.

Like Norm Peterson says, "It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milk bone underwear"!

Cheers!

GP

As for where CoEx pilots should be placed if offered postions at SkyWest. Thats a dead issue for me.

Their ONLY rightful place would be at the bottom of the list at SkyWest. It would be truely unfair for any SkyWest pilot to give up anything because their Mgt. negotiated with another company that happened to have folks on the street.

Creating pain for one pilot group while attempting to alleviate pain at another is ridicules. It would only create strife that would make the working environment awful.

socalpilot said:
CommutAir had a pool when we started the expansion with CAL and all the Express guys were hired first, then they pulled from the pool. When the additional props were first announced all eligble Coex furloughs were offered jobs. Many people turned it down and said "I'm too good to fly a 1900". My personal feeling is that if you didn't accept the position your union negotiated for you the first time you shouldn't be allowed to take a spot at Skywest.

As was said before, you are trying to start BS that is not there! The number one employer of our furloughed pilots is Best Buy. No that is not a joke, but the true answer from our surveys. Still think a majority of our furloughed pilots think they are too good for the Beech? People turned down the position for various reasons. Some of them do have other flying jobs where they haven't been required to give up their number. I guarentee you no more then a few thought they we're too good for the Beech. You can't have that attitude at Express, because eventually you're going to have a very ugly fight with a jet captain that's a former Beech guy.

XJet pilots have been very friendly to Commutair guys. I remember how you guys we're hanging out outside the crewroom in CLE at first, because you we're told you weren't allowed in there. I went in there last week and saw 3 Commutair guys passed out on the coaches. Surprise, surprise nobody woke them up and yelled at them for taking space that is supposed to 'belong to Express pilots only.'

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back