• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest: Confessions Of A Kool-Aid Drinker

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
According to the forward looking statement given to investors the company says they expect some or all employee groups to potentially unionize.
They would be fools not to. This is the airline industry after all. It's a unionized industry for the most part. Those gents in SGU aren't stupid and while they would prefer to remain non-union they will adjust to dealing with unions. With ASA they are learning quickly.

Do you think they will just pick up their toys and go home? Hey we'll just liquidate the company since ALPA showed up. Right... Can I have some what you're smoking kid?
SOURCE? THEBEST

It would be retarded for skywest to vote those Goons in Alpa in. Skywest has some of the best work rules in the industry and get paid more than ASA. They are also getting more airplans than they can handle. Alpa will just screw that all up.

Interesting. You took a job at CAL, despite your overwhelming disdain for the "goons in ALPA." Well, salvation is at hand. There's a Skywest open house in SAN October 24th. They'd welcome you into their bastion of pure, unfettered capitalism at $19.02/hr....:confused:

Just look at ASA, what as alpa given ASA? Ask those capatins that are F/os again at ASA. That great 70 rate will be cool once you guys get it, too bad you won't have any left to fly.

So SuperIdiot, where were you when ASA more than doubled the size of its pilot group in about 3 years after the 98 contract was signed? Back when we had a great relationship between ALPA and the company? Whatever benefits you have here at ASA you have because of ALPA, NOT because of management. You can blame whatever you want on ALPA, but if you didn't get involved with the union then you are blaming yourself, because ALPA is the pilots. Too bad you are too dense to realize that.

Whatever benefits you have here at ASA you have because of ALPA, NOT because of management. You can blame whatever you want on ALPA, but if you didn't get involved with the union then you are blaming yourself, because ALPA is the pilots. Too bad you are too dense to realize that.

Too bad we don't have this turd's name so that we could pass it on to the Cont. MEC! The friggin' loser got hired at a major, and he still comes back here trashing ASA and ALPA. Guess he must get bored sitting on reserve and playing with his pud. Did I mention loser?

VOTED IN FAVOR!

Well written discussion......my mind is about to explode...haven't seen anything like this on here for months.

I sit on the other side of the fence. I came from another ALPA airline (6 years there) and I think now is NOT the time for ALPA at SkyWest. I must say I have to agree with the management update that was put out today.
Sorry to all the PRO ALPA, but just my opinion.

I think the argument of management-union relations is interesting to look at. On one hand, current union members say, "Look at Southwest! They have a union and they have wonderful relations with management! It is possible!" However, the MAJORITY of MGT-union relations are poor and confrontational.

Look at why that is, when you try to put your employees on foodstamps it might get confrontational.

Amcnd, Could you expand on that? What is your back ground and why don't you think now is a time for ALPA at Skywest? I think those that have seen both situations can give us a lot of good information. I know there are people who have come from ALPA carriers to Skywest who believe Skywest desperatley needs ALPA and I'd like to hear their thoughts also.

Willy21, imac dog, atrdriver, sweptback and 007, I think you all made very valid posts in response to my last post. There's certainly no guarantees either way we go. I didn't know that AWAC pilots had made concessions, I thought they lost UAL flying because they wouldn't, so I stand corrected there. I still believe that unions are at least partly to blame for Comair's situation.

Imacdog, I agree with your post but what if I also want a company that is going to be around until I retire? Is ALPA a good choice for that? I hope I'm not still At Skywest then but with the twists and turns that this career has taken so far who knows?
"If you're saying that allowing management to unilaterally slash pay and benefits for employees is a good thing, well I guess that's your opinion. Personally I want my pilot group to have a voice in our future. If you want to work at a company that can do that to you, then a union is probably not the best option. If you want an organization that will fight for what you are worth, then you have to unionize."
If I want to have a secure job in ten years then I have to ...............? I know - no guarantees.

Once again, thanks to everyone for all their replies and for keeping this discussion civil. I have received a couple of nice PMs with some excellent information.

Latest resources

Back