• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest: Confessions Of A Kool-Aid Drinker

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It must be purchased above and beyond your 1.95%. I encourage all to look at the cost vs reward for this insurance if it is your primary reason for wanting ALPA.

First year is free and after that its a very cheap. Also, having a contract is insurance.

A few years ago alps's LOL insurance was the federation of airline pilots (think that was it) and they went BANKRUPT! Guess what, those that had the insurance only got a small part of what they were paying for all those years... alpa's reply___________?

I dont know how long ago that was. Its been with Guardian as far as I can remember and it paid me pretty well when I needed it. I hope no one ever has to use it.

Another aspect is whether industry wide labor groups are a good thing compared to having an in house union that tends to deal more with issues surrounding a particular company.

How do you explain the MEC's?

Last edited:
Sweptback, I wonder if the employees at Comair would be in such a situation if it weren't for the union - which includes flight attendants and mechanics. The new opportunities could include more DAL flying or just retaining what they already have. How about Air Wisconsin? I don't think they're in a bad situation but I feel for those guys who bought houses in Denver and now have to commute across the country. Would they be in that sitation if they could be more competitive? Of course you could probably lay the blame with non-union airlines like Skywest. I'm not arguing a point, just suggesting. If we become unionized will I be having to commute across the country in five years time when the next cheaper regional comes along, or by joining ALPA do you think I will help prevent that from happening? I don't know.

SKW treats me just fine in regards to, pay, QOL and, most importantly, dignity. If that changes, then it might be time for a union.

No, then it will be too late for a union.

If we become unionized will I be having to commute across the country in five years time when the next cheaper regional comes along, or by joining ALPA do you think I will help prevent that from happening? I don't know.

I don't think being an ALPA carrier or not will prevent that from happening. We are all at the mercy of the next guy in line that will do our job for less.

atrdriver,

your posts are usually well thought out and well presented. you can't really think that Jerry, Brad and Ron would, or should, say 'hey, this will be a fun and interesting challenge-let's do it!'

No, I don't think that they would welcome such a challenge. But, if they are truely professional managers, that is how they would look at the formation of a union. I have been in management, albeit in a different industry, that had both union and non union shops. Those managers who did well in the union shops approached dealing with the union as something that would benefit both the company as well as the employees. Those that did not do well in the union shops treated the employees badly. Amazingly, the same things that made the managers do good or bad in the non union shops.

Sweptback, I wonder if the employees at Comair would be in such a situation if it weren't for the union - which includes flight attendants and mechanics. The new opportunities could include more DAL flying or just retaining what they already have. How about Air Wisconsin? I don't think they're in a bad situation but I feel for those guys who bought houses in Denver and now have to commute across the country. Would they be in that sitation if they could be more competitive? Of course you could probably lay the blame with non-union airlines like Skywest. I'm not arguing a point, just suggesting. If we become unionized will I be having to commute across the country in five years time when the next cheaper regional comes along, or by joining ALPA do you think I will help prevent that from happening? I don't know.

If you're saying that allowing management to unilaterally slash pay and benefits for employees is a good thing, well I guess that's your opinion. Personally I want my pilot group to have a voice in our future. If you want to work at a company that can do that to you, then a union is probably not the best option. If you want an organization that will fight for what you are worth, then you have to unionize.

So tell me what you think having a union on property is doing to prevent "flexibility". If the company comes to the union as equals and respect, then there is no loss of flexibility at all. If management decides to treat the union
as an adversary, then there will be problems. But that happens whether there is a union or not. The way I read your post it sounds like the flexibility that they need is payrates, and that is just not the case.

None of the problems that you talk about were caused by the union.

If management wants to shut Comair down, no amount of concessions will stop that. If there was no union at CMR, the pilots would be working for 15% less while facing the same problems.

No Air Wisconsin pilot blames ALPA for their management turning down the United bid. I guess you mean taking concessions by talking about being more competitive. Didn't AW pilots take concessions, and yet still lost the flying? What more could they have done?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back