Skywest: Confessions Of A Kool-Aid Drinker

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

auspac

I have been with Skywest for over seven years. Like most people at the regionals I never thought I would be here this long. In fact I never thought I would even fly an RJ. When I was hired on Skywest only had about ten of them, all in SLC and you had to be pretty senior to fly one. I figured 2-5 years to be on with a major. Most of the captains I flew with when I was a Brasilia FO got hired at United, Delta, Southwest and American. One guy had job offers from both United and Delta and was trying to decide which one to choose! Anyway we all know what happened to change the world. But let’s go back a little further to the mid to late nineties when I was looking at getting on with a regional. Comair and Continetal Express were PFT. It amuses me now when I hear of pilots at those companies telling others that they are lowering the bar. Back then PFT was about as low as the bar got. I imagine when you work for the type of company that would impose PFT it would inspire you to be fight hard to improve things and I guess you need to give credit to those pilot groups. Skywest never had PFT, they just didn’t pay you while you trained.

When 9/11 happened I was a new captain. All of a sudden all our lines turned to crap as the flying was significantly reduced. At my base we had just over two captains for every flying line. Skywest probably should have furloughed, they didn’t. I should have downgraded but nobody was forced to downgrade. They did make some of us fly in the right seat again because they had too many captains but they paid us captain pay for doing it. I think we were treated very fairly in this situation and management went above and beyond what was expected. I had friends at other regionals who were downgraded and furloughed.

Several years ago we were offered a deal with US Air which involved jets for jobs. Being a non union company that could have been forced upon us. Instead management put it up to a vote and it was overwhelmingly rejected by the pilot group, so it never happened
It is often brought up that we are at-will employees and can be fired at any time. I’ve heard stories about such and such being terminated because he wore an ALPA lanyard, or because he wouldn’t wear a nametag, or because of some ridiculous reason. I’ve heard those stories and I don’t believe them. There have probably been unfair dismissals but I personally don’t know of any. Here are s a couple of cases I do know of. #1 A pilot lands on 28R at SFO and is told to hold short of 28L. Blasts right across the runway, doesn’t confirm, doesn’t even look, and a heavy jet on short final is forced to go missed. Imagine if it had been 20-30 seconds later. This particular captain had several previous complaints and performance problems. Many FOs did not want to fly with this captain. In my opinion this pilot should have been fired. The result – a couple of weeks off with no pay and some retraining. #2. This year after several incidents the company changed the drinking before duty limit from 8 to 12 hours. After many complaints it was changed back to 8 hours. A pilot on a 30+ hour layover got incredibly intoxicated. It was on the first night so it wasn’t involving duty time but it was right around the time when all this drinking stuff was going down. This pilot found what he thought was his own hotel room but couldn’t get the door open, the occupant of the room opened the door to investigate and the drunk pilot insulted the hotel guest then proceeded to kick the door. Hotel security was called and the hotel called Skywest to complain about this pilot. The result – a written warning in his file. No firing, no time off. So yes we are at-will employees but in my experience I have seen more cases of people not being fired when I thought they should have been. You can screw up pretty big, but as long as you’re honest about it and have a good attitude it seems to me that you can get away with a lot.

Then there’s the whole issue of 700/900 for the same rate as the 200. I voted for that. Most will say that just proves my ignorance, and you may well be right. At the time we had no 700s on the property and I figured that by the time we actually got any we would already be 4-6 months into the 18 month TA. I figured a new TA would begin to get negotiated well before that one expired and then we would get a separate pay scale. Call me a stupid Kool aid consumer or whatever, that’s what I thought. OK now here’s for the real kicker, I actually don’t mind having the same rate - but it needs to be a blended rate. I like having the ability to bid for both airplanes, it gives me a much greater choice of schedules.

The last 1.2% raise was simply insulting and I voted against that. If it have had included back pay and had a definite expiration date I would have voted for it. Many say that we haven’t had a raise in over five years but I disagree. Performance Rewards equals more money in my pocket so that equals a raise. We lost profit sharing which to me was about 2% but PR has been around 6% for me. However inflation has been running at about 4% so we are in desperate need of some COLA.

On these boards you hear mostly from the very pro ALPA or the very negative ALPA but I believe there are more people at Skywest who are like me – not sure. We see the definite benefits of the union with nice tie pins, stickers for our flight bags, a magazine, and most importantly the insurance. We see the negatives, ALPA costs a LOT of money, they donate money to political parties that I don’t care for and they support causes that I don’t (age 60 for eg.) They create an adversarial relationship between work groups. I don’t want to see the United type atmosphere at Skywest where every work group hates every other work group. As I’ve pointed out, I’ve seen Skywest management do some very good things and some not so nice things. I don’t want to have the best contract in the industry until the company goes out of business (Comair?) nor do I want the lowest while the company turns record profits.

I’m going to hold on to my card for a while and think about it. I’m open to advice especially from those who have gone from non-union to ALPA or from an ALPA carrier to Skywest. Just try to hold back the insults, they do nothing to help your point of view.

I don't have the stamina to deal with that post. Lets just say that you certainly are drinking the kool-Aide!

I guess you can't force someone to stand up for what they are worth and what they have the leverage to negotiate.

And BTW, a lot more companies that comair and COEX were PFT back in the mid 90's.

as another skyw pilot I agree, well written post. As I think many do, I remain on the fence. With that said, I see the company doing the same old thing offering "pay talks" as the union cards go out (backstabbing).........just don't want to be stuck in "union" pay talks for blank number of years, then strike, etc..... just a thought

Thanks for the post.

I agree with you about the idea that we, at Skywest, are 'at will' employees, thus in constant danger of being fired. The company bending over backward to get people through training and keep them flying and out of trouble has also been my experience at Skywest. I was one of those people that 'should' have been furloughed after 9/11, but wasn't.

I ask our pilot group to vote based on an realistic assessment of our situation, the facts, the costs, and the benefits and not on a misty, emotional vision of what could be.

Scott

auspac-

Thanks for sharing your view and how you've come by it. I'm glad you're considering things seriously rather than just going by hear-say. Before this thread degenerates into the usual nonsense, I'd like to throw in my take on the whole things as well.

I've been at ASA for 8 years, I'm an ALPA supporter and active on an ALPA committee(Central Air Safety). I'm a CR7 captain, so I don't fall into the category of disgruntled F/O waiting for upgrade. I'm 34, so I don't fall into the category of crusty old captain who thinks the word revolves around him. In short, I'm just a normal guy very much like the majority of other ASA pilots and I'd guess Skywest pilots.

Both Skywest pilot's aurguements for being skeptical of ALPA and ASA pilot's arguements for supporting ALPA are valid. The reason is the fundamental differences in business model and labor relations. If you know the history of ASA, you know that this company was built on antagonism and the overriding quest for the almight $$$. Everything else is secondary here. ASA does not believe its employees are assests and they don't believe a happy employee is a productive employee. They believe a broken-down employee is a controllable employee. For these reasons, we NEED ALPA at ASA. If we did not have ALPA here, we would all be sleeping in cots at the airport on our 8 hours overnights, cleaning and servicing our own aircraft, and probably polishing Bryan LeBreque's car on the way home. At ASA, the fight is not to get what we can get, but to save what little we have.

You are in a slightly different boat in that I think most people believe JA respects you and values you. I don't think he would value you over a good business decision, but I think he knows that you are important to the operation and worth working with. Obviously JA wants to keep you as flexible as possible and having ALPA on the property would tie his hands somewhat. Given your relationship history though, you would probably find negotiations signifigantly easier than we have here.

I look at it like this. JA does not want ALPA anywhere near his operation. The closure of SLC, the lack of anything respectable offered in negotiations after 4 years, the -900s being parked right in front of our operations in SLC, all these things are basically JA giving us union guys the finger. So, I can see why you would have some anxiety about the idea of a union over there. However, you might rest easier knowing you have an organization that can and will stick up for you on a vast number of issues you may face in your career. Jumpseating, FFDOs, health/life insurance, legal representaion, safety initiatives, FAA representation. All these things are driven by your union, not by your management or anyone else. There's a lot more to ALPA than "How come we don't have a contract?"

Those who will tell you ALPA has never done anything for them are the selfish people who won't support the union, but expect it to support them. Pay them no mind, they are not professionals and their small voices will stand as only a footnote in the history of professional aviation(Yes, I'm talking to you JB). I will be the first to admit that ALPA does have its problems and needs some overhauling. Instead of venting here on FlightInfo and then hanging one's head low in the crew room when around peers, one can be involved. Many senior people don't want to do anything to disrupt status quo because they've forgotten what it's like for the vast majority of the pilot group. They think it's just fine because they've been around long enough to get what they want and kiss the right asses when they don't.

Your decision will be a tough one and will certainly affect many more pilot groups than just your own. Here at ASA, despite our few white flag wavers,
we have every intention of pressing forward for fairness. We could use your support now more than ever and there's no doubt it would benefit the both of us. I hope that together we can realize the potential that both of our pilot groups hold. Good luck to you.

Sorry for the lenghty post, but I just returned from my first ATL-based trip after SLC closed and that, of course, made me extra-disgruntled.

AUSPAC,

Just a couple of things. ASA probably shoulf have furloughed and displaced after 9/11 as well, but they didn't either. Flying dropped, and average line value dropped, but they didn't furllough anyone.

And you say ALPA costs a lot of money. I don't know if 2% is a lot of money, considering the benefits of the insurance, aeromedical, safety, etc, but regardless it is tax deductable, every penny of it. No, that doesn't make it free, but it makes it considerably less than the original 2%.

Good post auspac.

Just my thoughts. I was discussing my current employer with a captian. A very senior one at that. He told me a story from before ALPA. He called with concearn about a flight from Shreveport LA to New Orleans. There was a hurricane in the Gulf and Gulf Port was geting pounded. Convective sigmets and the works. The dispatcher asked the then director of operations about the flight. His response was a very loud and yelling "Tell him if he dosen't fly that plane down there he's fired." The Captian flew the 1900 into a hurricane out of fear for his job. If that were to happen today a recorded confrence call between ALPA, The CP, Saftey Com., and mabey a few more would follow. I am not afraid to refuse to fly when I need to and I have.

That being said I think you are wrong in your assumption of ALPA makeing a place confrontatonal. ALPA was brought on board because management became confrontational and pilots needed a way to fight back. I understand that this is not the current situation at Skywest.

We have some real nucleheads in management where I work. They have recently thown out an arbritators ruling and we are going to have to sue them in federal court over this simple phrase. "Junior Assignments are to be performed in reverse senority order." They just wont do it. How unreasonable is that?

Now what does this have to do with Skywest? I know that things are good over there. What happens when we vote no confidence during contract neg.s and pressure the company to get him out. Will he land at Skywest? I don't know but the source of our misery could be on your door step. How will you fight back?

Further more you are probally being set up to be used as an insturment to wipshaw the ASA pilots.

If you are concearned about ALPA becoming confrontational then run for union chair and keep it from becoming confontational. Let Skywest be a model of how ALPA and management should get along. We as pilots are reasonable. Its management that makes things confrontational in my opinion. Not ALPA.

Rational........ discussion............... Must ........... find......... real........ FI.... thread.....

AusPac-

great post! It is so nice to get a breath of fresh air.

Latest resources

Back