Skywest ALPA OC petitions NMB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I kind of feel like taxation without representation "British parliament"

Sou't nds like we have a lot of pro Alpa pilots here. My two cents is What does alpa really do? Everyone I talk to enjoy working at skywest. They like management and for the most part the people they work with. Yeah it would be nice but many of the very worst companies (Mesa) have ALPA and it seems like they can't / won't do crud for the pilots. I think skywest is doing just great w/o Alpa and why try to fix it if it ain't broke!!!!!!

Sou't nds like we have a lot of pro Alpa pilots here. My two cents is What does alpa really do? Everyone I talk to enjoy working at skywest. They like management and for the most part the people they work with. Yeah it would be nice but many of the very worst companies (Mesa) have ALPA and it seems like they can't / won't do crud for the pilots. I think skywest is doing just great w/o Alpa and why try to fix it if it ain't broke!!!!!!

By your reasoning you shouldn't fly for fedex either...

This cut and paste from one of AB's post's should give you an idea.

8: Failed to live up to the documented promise of backing any pilot who refused to fly the CRJ700/900 at 50-seat pay scale.

Someone should ask AB if this is such an abomination, why did he bid and fly the 700 and 900.

A good why to describe the SKYWEST pilots is the Amish.

I like the Amish.. they are good people with great values. However, the Amish way of life only works as a very small group and they do accept benefit from a society they reject........The protection they are afforded by the state and Federal gov't.

I am trying to figure out why the Skywest pilots don't get this.......

When it comes to how your career is decided you have no voice. No input. No say. ALPA is in Washington DC working to make this career safer and better.... and the Skywest pilots are benefiting from that...

Are you a Professional Air Line Pilot?

characteristic of or befitting a profession or one engaged in a profession; "professional conduct"; "professional ethics"; "a thoroughly professional performance"

Do you have code of ethics at Skywest?

Being a member secures your status as a professional. You might scoff at this and declare your self professional at Skywest... in theory yes...

But do you have the support to enforce your professionalism? The Southwest Pilots do.... The American Pilots do.... You probably won't get to join SWAPA or the APA. ALPA is your best best...

Right now when you say to your management, "My professionalism says this is the best course..." and the reply is "Our shareholders say this is the best course...."

Skywest pilots... it is time to man up!

You can live your Amish-like exisitence... which many of you don't intend for the long term..... What will you do when you arrive at your career destination? Sooner or later you are going to have to become effective in protecting your career and this profession. The two are highly related and one cannot surivive without the other. If you ignore the profession your career will suffer and vice versa... Time to quit day-trading and start long term investing....

UR Flying Me makes some excellent points.

SkyNation is hard to believe.

SkyNation blames ALPA for not doing better with the ASA contract when ALPA's weakness in the ASA negotiation is the direct result of the position SkyNation advocates.

What SkyNation fails to understand is that regardless of what happens on the ASA property, SkyWest will come back and ask you to fly it for less - or rather - tell you that you must fly it for less or you will lose airplanes, jobs and upgrades.

Yes, the pilots at SkyWest could lose airplanes if they do not match ASA. Also, ASA's contract will have provisions in it to protect their flying. The days of quick upgrades on aircraft transferred out of the ASA fleet are coming to an end anyway.

SkyWest is a great place to be. I'm at a major now and I still think SkyWest is a good airline to fly for. But without an enforceable contract you have no way to keep things good at SkyWest and no way to ensure good times in the future. If ASA comes out a penny cheaper (ironically as a result of SkyWest whipsaw) then your airplanes could well begin going the other direction until you undercut ASA.

Delta is not going to buy ASA back. SkyWest has them for the long term. It would be best for SkyWest pilots to work with your ASA brothers and together build your company. To lift something big - you need everyone lifting their corner.

I'm optimistic that pilots have a good ten year run ahead of them. Join in the success instead of detracting from it. Vote ALPA.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
To anyone thinking of voting yes, just remember I will cancel your vote with my NO. Thus I don't think you should bother voting.

Then I'll use my big d#$chebag vote to cancel your t@rd sandwhich vote.

Skynation- an airline being relatively better than others doesn't mean stuff can't still be fixed.

Latest resources

Back