Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKW to retire 66 older CRJs, and add 34 larger ones....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, you may not have specifically stated such but you've done nothing to serperate yourself from the others that have. I respect everything you have to say here, but sometimes you're rationale confuses me.

ExpressJet's costs needed to be lowered. Had SkyWest, Inc. bought ExpressJet the first time around the company would have facilitated moving airframes to lower the cost of utilization. Instead, Continental was able to sign a concessionary contract with ExpressJet. Costs got lowered one way or another. Even with the lowered costs it was apparent that ExpressJet was still losing money. SkyWest, Inc. eventually spent even less buying ExpressJet the second time around. I have no doubts that a unified pilot group between ASA and XJT would finally lead to profitability, but you need to get there first before you dedice to FUPM the company trying to keep you from being the next Comair.

Why did they need to be lowered? Because CAL said so? Ok, that's fine. It makes perfect sense that CAL wants to lower their cost. That is a totally separate issue of why XJT was losing money at the time. They were losing money due to the unprofitably of the branded operation. The only reason why XJT was losing money even after they shut down branded was because the pilots got whipsawed with the help of the Skywest pilots' pilot costs. That's precisely why their condition for buying XJT the first time around was that, among other things, the pilots take a 16% pay cut. XJT got stuck signing Skywest's CPA they negotiated with CAL under those assumptions and thus became unprofitable even though branded was gone. All this orchestrated by CAL begging in 2001. Skywest just happen to be the entity to pounce on the opportunity.

And I whole heartedly agree with your last statement. A unified pilot group, to include Skywest pilots, would lead to much more profitability and stability.

By the way, I never feel the need to distance myself from any statements other people make. The fact is that I feel that we are better off merging lists with ASA IF it doesn't lead to any concessions to any part of our contract.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back