Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKW to retire 66 older CRJs, and add 34 larger ones....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

SkyWest reaches deal with Delta to add 34 newer CRJs, retire 66 older CRJs
Air Transport World
By Aaron Karp | August 2, 2012

SkyWest Inc., the parent of St. George, Utah-based SkyWest Airlines and Atlanta-based ExpressJet Airlines, said it has “reached an understanding” with Delta Air Lines (DL) enabling it to take delivery 34 Bombardier CRJ700s/900s while removing 66 older CRJ200s from its fleet.

SkyWest did not explain the origin of the five CRJ700s and 29 CRJ900s slated to join its fleet incrementally from this month to June 2013. The regional operator said it expects to incorporate the aircraft into existing agreements with DL, enabling it to operate them on Delta Connection-branded flights through 2022.

DL recently announced it is shutting down regional subsidiary Comair (ATW Daily News, July 27). It is possible that CRJ700s/900s operated by Comair make up some of the aircraft coming SkyWest’s way, though this has not been stated.

SkyWest said it “intends to remove the 66 CRJ200 aircraft from existing Delta Connection service between August 2012 and December 2015.” It noted that 41 are DL-financed aircraft that will be returned to the Atlanta-based mainline carrier. Another 25 are SkyWest-financed aircraft. It said it “is currently working on opportunities to mitigate the financial risk associated with removing those aircraft from Delta service.”

SkyWest last month signed an agreement in principle for 100 Mitsubishi Regional Jets (ATW Daily News, July 11).

I thought the SKW CFO said they didn't want to get rid of any 50 seaters? Looks like he was persuaded.

Bye Bye---General Lee

SkyWest reaches deal with Delta to add 34 newer CRJs, retire 66 older CRJs
Air Transport World
By Aaron Karp | August 2, 2012

SkyWest Inc., the parent of St. George, Utah-based SkyWest Airlines and Atlanta-based ExpressJet Airlines, said it has “reached an understanding” with Delta Air Lines (DL) enabling it to take delivery 34 Bombardier CRJ700s/900s while removing 66 older CRJ200s from its fleet.

SkyWest did not explain the origin of the five CRJ700s and 29 CRJ900s slated to join its fleet incrementally from this month to June 2013. The regional operator said it expects to incorporate the aircraft into existing agreements with DL, enabling it to operate them on Delta Connection-branded flights through 2022.

DL recently announced it is shutting down regional subsidiary Comair (ATW Daily News, July 27). It is possible that CRJ700s/900s operated by Comair make up some of the aircraft coming SkyWest’s way, though this has not been stated.

SkyWest said it “intends to remove the 66 CRJ200 aircraft from existing Delta Connection service between August 2012 and December 2015.” It noted that 41 are DL-financed aircraft that will be returned to the Atlanta-based mainline carrier. Another 25 are SkyWest-financed aircraft. It said it “is currently working on opportunities to mitigate the financial risk associated with removing those aircraft from Delta service.”

SkyWest last month signed an agreement in principle for 100 Mitsubishi Regional Jets (ATW Daily News, July 11).

I thought the SKW CFO said they didn't want to get rid of any 50 seaters? Looks like he was persuaded.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Why are we starting another version of a thread that already exists?

Posted by Thebadcat1313 on a different thread:

Aviation Week
August 03, 2012

SkyWest plans to add more than three dozen 76-seat aircraft to its Delta Connection service and remove nearly twice that number of 50-seaters as a nod to Delta Air Lines’ push for higher-capacity aircraft among its regional partners.

SkyWest, the parent company of SkyWest Airlines and ExpressJet Airlines, will take on 34 aircraft—five Bombardier CRJ700s and 29 CRJ900s—and shed 66 of its CRJ200s under an “understanding” reached with Delta. SkyWest will take delivery of the new aircraft between August 2012 and June 2013 for Delta Connection service and remove the CRJ200s between August 2012 and December 2015.

Of the 66 CRJ200s, 41 are Delta-financed aircraft and are scheduled to be returned to Delta without obligation to SkyWest, the Utah-based company says.

Of the 34 larger regional jets that SkyWest is adding to its Delta Connection operations, Delta says 18 will come from Delta regional subsidiary Comair, which is being shut down as of Sept. 29. Comair currently operates 15 CRJ700s and 13 CRJ900s.

The other 16 will come from Pinnacle, Delta says. Pinnacle, which is restructuring under Chapter 11 with Delta financing, operates 16 CRJ900s for Delta that are scheduled to be removed from service between January and May 2013; it also has a long-term deal to continue operating 41 other CRJ900s for Delta.

SkyWest CFO Michael Kraupp tells Aviation Week that SkyWest continues to determine its plans for the new aircraft—whether to take over existing financing, sublease them or pursue other actions.

The deal comes weeks after SkyWest expressed resistance to Delta’s plan to encourage its regional airline partners to end their 50-seat regional jet flying before feeder contracts expire. Kraupp told Aviation Week at the time that such an offer would not be acceptable unless an alternative were provided for the CRJ200s. He now says SkyWest is receptive to the deal because 41 of the 50-seaters belong to Delta and he is confident that SkyWest can place its 25 50-seaters “based on opportunities that we are working.” He says SkyWest will not have to park any of the aircraft.

So, SKW gets rid of 41 "Delta owned" CRJs, but keeps 25 of their own for "at risk" flying? Is that how it works? Would they still be flying feed for DL? I thought RA wants 125 or less total 50 seaters within 2 years? Hmmmm.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Why are we starting another version of a thread that already exists?

I don't see one that lists the same thing, just a general topic. This one is more specific. You're welcome.

Bye Bye---General Lee

back to being a loser putz again eh JennyLeigh, guess you'll be 'unretiring' OysYoYo next huh

I don't see one that lists the same thing, just a general topic. This one is more specific. You're welcome.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Ummmm. You posted the same articles on the other thread and you were not the first by any means. From my vantage point it looks like you are just padding your post count.

And yes. You are welcome also. Have a supercalifragilistickexpeeallidoshuss (sp?) day!!

Last edited:
Ummmm. You posted the same articles on the other thread and you were not the first by any means. From my vantage point it looks like you are just padding your post count.

And yes. You are welcome also. Have a supercalifragilistickexpeeallidoshuss (sp?) day!!

No, my article I posted wasn't in the other thread. This was specific info that you didn't have to dig through the other thread for. I think many people would like to read about this.

Bye Bye---General Lee

This message is hidden because Freebrd is on your ignore list.

Ahhhhhhhh!

Bye Bye----General Lee

Latest resources

Back