Shuttle America 170 and CLE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oakum Boy,

I wish that everyone was as smart as you, or the other superb pilots on this thread that know everything! The way the "red button" was explained in the POH obviously left enough wiggle room for those guys to get their jobs back! You and Rogue Warrior should get a room, as you superior pilots would surely enjoy each other's company!

According to FlightAware they landed @ 1955Z. The METAR at that time was

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KCLE 181956Z 30016KT 1/4SM +SN BKN006 BKN015 OVC041 M07/M11 A3001 RMK AO2 P0000 $[/FONT]

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KCLE 181951Z 29018KT 1/4SM +SN SCT011 BKN018 OVC043 M07/M11 A3001 RMK AO2 SNB36 CIG 012 NE SLP173 P0000 T10721111 $[/FONT]

Landing on the shortest runway in practically whiteout conditions? Interesting choice considering I did not see any NOTAMS for any other, longer runways closed.

KickIt

I didn't know they were authorized below Cat 1 minimums...

Uh, Hello! When the gear doesn't retract when you try put the handle up, the reason is simple:

There is a problem with the gear and it should not be retracted.

Why would anyone override the downlock unless you've lost and engine and are about to hit a mountain?

Those "red buttons" have been in place since forever on virtually all transport airplanes.

Earth to Republic pilots...

There are several things that would justify it. An encounter with moderate icing would be one.

Simply put CLE was extremely ugly at that particular time of the day...... The WX was changing by the minute and it was a very challenging approach to a runway that at the time didn't leave much margin for error. Anybody who flew that approach in those conditions will no doubt vouch for that. It is an errie feeling after clearing the runway to hear tower calling the ARFF folks to find out their intentions followed by the words "proceed to the area in any way, the field is closed"........

you are clueless, these 2 had more experience than whats in 90 percent of todays regional cockpits.

every single person reading this has landed in conditions, when viewed in retrospect, could be viewed as dangerous.

so please stop this nonsense and thank god it wasnt you, cause you could be next, no matter how smart you think you are.

A little overboard and defensive, don't you think? Speaking for everyone is not in good style.

Disclaimer: Sat morn ICE snow storm spoiling my day off so I'm in a scrappy mood. We had a Republican FO non-rev the other day come up to the office to say hi, which is fine. I expressed my sympathy for SA's overrun and thanks that everyone was OK, asked if he knew any details on what happened. The guy starts passing the buck 'the SA pilots are all junior to Republic pilots, (hilarious) they're a whole 'nother certificate (I know that) we have nothing to do with them'. He didn't want any connection to them and seemed to say that they were so much junior than the republicans that he wasn't too surprised it happened. Is there a rivalry or bad relations between Rep. and SA pilots? He seemed like an isolated TOOL. Don't Rep. and SA pilots receive the same operational and fleet info from the same VP's or source?

Don't fry me, but my suspicion is they flew an ILS28 with the malfunctioning GS which could have left them high on landing. It seems logical due to the info known, just no one has stated it outright. They would've likely had the min vis for the ILS but not for the LOC only GS OTS (5000 RVR req'd). Seems to me that KCLE ATC should've deactivated the GS if it was giving erroneous indications, instead of just notaming it OTS.

We should all pay attention to notams and apply them to our operations.

Peace.

Cant see a CAT-3 aircraft having any different LOC mins than any other aircraft

A little overboard and defensive, don't you think? Speaking for everyone is not in good style.

Disclaimer: Sat morn ICE snow storm spoiling my day off so I'm in a scrappy mood. We had a Republican FO non-rev the other day come up to the office to say hi, which is fine. I expressed my sympathy for SA's overrun and thanks that everyone was OK, asked if he knew any details on what happened. The guy starts passing the buck 'the SA pilots are all junior to Republic pilots, (hilarious) they're a whole 'nother certificate (I know that) we have nothing to do with them'. He didn't want any connection to them and seemed to say that they were so much junior than the republicans that he wasn't too surprised it happened. Is there a rivalry or bad relations between Rep. and SA pilots? He seemed like an isolated TOOL. Don't Rep. and SA pilots receive the same operational and fleet info from the same VP's or source?

Don't fry me, but my suspicion is they flew an ILS28 with the malfunctioning GS which could have left them high on landing. It seems logical due to the info known, just no one has stated it outright. They would've likely had the min vis for the ILS but not for the LOC only GS OTS (5000 RVR req'd). Seems to me that KCLE ATC should've deactivated the GS if it was giving erroneous indications, instead of just notaming it OTS.

We should all pay attention to notams and apply them to our operations.

Peace.

SA is the "A-team" at RAH E170 division flying...meaning, most of the new software loads and new stuff for the 170 is instituted there first before Republic. They are the trailblazers. The FO in your jumpseat is wrong. They are not all junior to Republic. The only "exception" to that would be the J4J AAA pilots crewing the left seats at Republic, but even there, there have been issues of "judgement," so let's not cast a "we're better then they are" situation between the two airlines. There are differences in their operation vs. Republic's, but let's put this accident in perspective. To quote the Republic DO, "It could have been us."

It's that simple.

My best wishes to the crew. Hope things go smoothly for them as the investigation continues.

T8

Oakum Boy,

I wish that everyone was as smart as you, or the other superb pilots on this thread that know everything! The way the "red button" was explained in the POH obviously left enough wiggle room for those guys to get their jobs back! You and Rogue Warrior should get a room, as you superior pilots would surely enjoy each other's company!

"wiggle room" I ain't trying to piss you off TAWS nor am I saying I wouldn't or haven't ever screwed up but EVERYONE knows what that little red button is for.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back