• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shuttle America 170 and CLE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How were they legal to shoot the approach, let alone land?

A350
According to the NTSB preliminary report, rvr was 6000 when they started the approach and then dropped to 2000 during the approach (presumably after passing the FAF).

Point of order: SA, RW and CHQ are operating under different certificates, but they are all the same company.

According to the NTSB preliminary report, rvr was 6000 when they started the approach and then dropped to 2000 during the approach (presumably after passing the FAF).

Thank you for that official info. I take back my previous suspicion. Descending and Landing from LOC MDA mins when the RVR is 2000 could be tough. I've never tried it, and don't care to.

However RAH likes constant rate descents on non-precission approaches which gives you no time to look for the runway when the weather is at or near minimums. Never did like that one, I know it's more for pax comfort but the object is to get to MDA and look for the runway not arrive at the MDA at the MAP point,try and level off and go missed all at once.

Discuss

Nope. The reason for the constant rate descents is for a stabilized approach, not for pax comfort. If you do not have a runway when you get there you go missed like you are on an ILS. If you are not approved per ops specs to use VNAV for an approach, you cannot couple to the VNAV, but you can dial in the verticle rate to match the pseudo glide slope. You are still restricted to the higher LNAV mins. They may not have had time to set up the FMS for the non precision approach, and they may have shot it as a normal loc approach. Either way it didnt work out. The pics were taken in clear weather minutes later. Its a reminder to all of us that if we do not like the weather at mins or at touchdown, commence your missed approach or balked landing ASAP.

In light of the still outstanding Delta RFP, the company may be trying to spin the cause of this accident as some failure of the airport to ensure safe landing conditions. Certainly can't have the company looking bad when they are looking for work. Or, the company is going to smear these pilots, and blame the already decided loss of Delta flying at RAH on this accident.
Fly safe, everyone.

According to previous stuff, I believe the Delta RFP has been awarded to the carriers and it is up to them to disclose the information.

How come all you experts weren't around when Comair blasted off the wrong runway and killed a bunch of people. Humm? Get a life you bunch of high school wana-be-a-pilot.coms.dorks....drink more, get laid, then get a life.

How come all you experts weren't around when Comair blasted off the wrong runway and killed a bunch of people. Humm? Get a life you bunch of high school wana-be-a-pilot.coms.dorks....drink more, get laid, then get a life.

I think we were Biff. You know, that accident incurred a tragic large loss of life; a few of us were armchair quarterbacking but many of us were scratching out heads on how that could happen to ComAir and being silent out of respect for the DEAD.

" ~ Some day I'm gonna stand up to Biff and clock that guy ~ " Marty McFly

Because RAH sucks A$$, that's why dipsh!t

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back