• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shuttle America 170 and CLE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In light of the still outstanding Delta RFP, the company may be trying to spin the cause of this accident as some failure of the airport to ensure safe landing conditions. Certainly can't have the company looking bad when they are looking for work. Or, the company is going to smear these pilots, and blame the already decided loss of Delta flying at RAH on this accident.

Of course, in some way this will be linked to pilot error. Too bad we dont get paid more...then maybe we could hire better lawyers for ourselves and pass the blame around more fairly. I just hope those two flew by the book on this approach.

And for what it is worth, remember that those calculated approach speeds are not necessarily the speeds you are meant to cross the threshold at. Vref is still your 50' over the numbers speed. If winds give you a 15 knot correction over ref for the approach, be sure to get yourself slowed down for the touchdown. There are generally no landing distance charts for landing at ref plus anything. Vapp is just that...approach speed.

Fly safe, everyone.

you are clueless, these 2 had more experience than whats in 90 percent of todays regional cockpits.

every single person reading this has landed in conditions, when viewed in retrospect, could be viewed as dangerous.

so please stop this nonsense and thank god it wasnt you, cause you could be next, no matter how smart you think you are.

I am not saying I'm smart and I'm not throwing theses guys under the bus, but I will say if i am coming in and the GS is unusable I KNOW I need more than a 1/4 for a LOC only approach.

ILS 28 CLE:
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0702/00084I28.PDF

What are the mins for the LOC only approach for a Cat 3 a/c?
500 and 3/4, if the approach speed is bumped up so are the requirements for the A/C

Safety is the responsibility of BOTH pilots. I to hope I'm never caught stepping on my own manhood, but the minimums are the minimums.

Last edited:
The gear wouldn't come up when they left IAH (I think), so they pressed the override button - gear came up. When they reached IAD, the nose gear wouldn't come down! THEN Embraer came out with a memo stating "don't use the red button".
Bottom line, crew was exonerated.

The QRH ALWAYS said to use the red button ONLY if obstacle clearance was an issue. The memo was to emphasize a procedure already in place.

Last edited:
Was the GS OTS when they shot the approach, or did they take out the antenna after/as they went off the runway?

GS antennas are on the approach end of a runway....LOC are on the departure end.

And for what it is worth, remember that those calculated approach speeds are not necessarily the speeds you are meant to cross the threshold at. Vref is still your 50' over the numbers speed. If winds give you a 15 knot correction over ref for the approach, be sure to get yourself slowed down for the touchdown. There are generally no landing distance charts for landing at ref plus anything. Vapp is just that...approach speed.

Well, there is more to it than that. Did they have the good ole STALL PROT ICE CAS messege? 16-18 knots of wind? Doesn't not Aerodata in the release will give the required LDG distance for the given conditions. Thats is even based with the AT off. Was it on?

T8

Did CLE approach give them the runway switcheroo at the last minute? If so, that's classic CLE and triple the workload at a critical juncture.

I'm glad everyone is safe and hope the best for all involved.

The gear wouldn't come up when they left IAH (I think), so they pressed the override button - gear came up. When they reached IAD, the nose gear wouldn't come down! THEN Embraer came out with a memo stating "don't use the red button".
Bottom line, crew was exonerated.

Uh, Hello! When the gear doesn't retract when you try put the handle up, the reason is simple:

There is a problem with the gear and it should not be retracted.

Why would anyone override the downlock unless you've lost and engine and are about to hit a mountain?

Those "red buttons" have been in place since forever on virtually all transport airplanes.

Earth to Republic pilots...

Latest resources

Back