• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shuttle America 170 and CLE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...it seems strange that with what was known about the WX, the GS OTS and the runway length/conditions, why was the approach or landing ever attepted?

What exactly was known about the WX...it was snowing, and a plane landed a few minutes earlier and said the runway was good...I guess no one knows why they tried the approach. I heard they topped off the tanks and went look around for the worst weather to shoot an approach in.

snowflake "for guidance" is a wonderful thing. just add 50' to the threshold elevation and it follows the GS quite well.

Glad every one got out alive with only minor bumps and scrapes.

Could have been any of us, given the conditions.

Factors: low vis; low ceiling; contaminated Rwy--last minute rwy change--to a shorter rwy; bumped up E170 wind numbers; bumped up stall protection ice numbers; vertical nav mins/changes.

Tough approach and landing.

Learn.

T8

According to FlightAware they landed @ 1955Z. The METAR at that time was

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KCLE 181956Z 30016KT 1/4SM +SN BKN006 BKN015 OVC041 M07/M11 A3001 RMK AO2 P0000 $[/FONT]

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KCLE 181951Z 29018KT 1/4SM +SN SCT011 BKN018 OVC043 M07/M11 A3001 RMK AO2 SNB36 CIG 012 NE SLP173 P0000 T10721111 $[/FONT]

Landing on the shortest runway in practically whiteout conditions? Interesting choice considering I did not see any NOTAMS for any other, longer runways closed.

KickIt

The weather doesn't look bad from that metar. 1/4 mile reported in snow is actually 1/2 mile vis. Winds are right down the runway. The stronger the better. Completely safe and doable. Luckily noone was hurt. I wouldn't point my fingers at the weather.

You guys are really something. That weather was horrible, plain and simple. Just cause the metar says it was 1/4 with +SN doesn't mean that at that moment it wasn't more like 1/16 or 1000 RVR. The local TV weather guy rolled the doppler radar back to that exact moment when they landed. The heaviest part of that snow squall was directly over the airport at that time.

I have 9 winters worth of flying in and out of CLE landing on that very runway under similar conditions, so I know what they were looking at. Couple those weather condtions with having to execute a descent from an MDA and some gusty winds with higher than normal approach speeds and it could have been any one of us, period.

The conditions change minute by minute with those stupid lake effect showers, this one was off of Lake Huron, none the less, Erie is frozen over.

BTW 24R was most likely closed for plowing at the time, that's why they switch to 28 arrivals so they can keep from having to use 24L and cut the arrival rate in half.

Anything can look "do-able" on paper.

Last edited:
You guys are really something. That weather was horrible, plain and simple. Just cause the metar says it was 1/4 with +SN doesn't mean that at that moment it wasn't more like 1/16 or 1000 RVR. The local TV weather guy rolled the doppler radar back to that exact moment when they landed. The heaviest part of that snow squall was directly over the airport at that time.

I have 9 winters worth of flying in and out of CLE landing on that very runway under similar conditions, so I know what they were looking at. Couple those weather condtions with having to execute a descent from an MDA and some gusty winds with higher than normal approach speeds and it could have been any one of us, period.

The conditions change minute by minute with those stupid lake effect showers, this one was off of Lake Huron, none the less, Erie is frozen over.

BTW 24R was most likely closed for plowing at the time, that's why they switch to 28 arrivals so they can keep from having to use 24L and cut the arrival rate in half.

Anything can look "do-able" on paper.

Hmm ok...factors

Based on what you just said..hmmmm yes!! I choose the shortest runway!! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back