Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should an ATP be required for both pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Should a ATP be required to fly for an airline?

• Yes

Votes: 792 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 144 15.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 16 1.7%

• Total voters
cjdriver said:
This would probably have prevented the 3407 accident.

No, it wouldn't have.

The ATP-rated captain was the PF who mismanaged his airspeed, and while the FO wasn't ATP rated I've seen it reported she met the minimum requirements to hold one.

Holding an ATP is not insurance against committing a stupid pilot trick or an act of poor airmanship.

If she had an ATP and was typed in the airplane, she probably would have caught the low airspeed. Not certain, but likely. I don't think anyone could argue that having two ATP rated and typed pilots is safer than not.

cjdriver said:
I don't think anyone could argue that having two ATP rated and typed pilots is safer than not.

No, one couldn't argue that.

...but its a looooooooooong stretch to say if she had an ATP (which she didn't but was qualified for) and/or was typed in the airplane (which only would have required her do a no-flap landing and circling approach in addition to the SIC check, IIRC) that she would have caught the low airspeed that she was already trained to recognize yet failed to.

Were both pilots who crashed the Gulfstream in ASE both type-rated ATPs?

What about the pilots who crashed the Gulfstream at HOU?

What about the Challenger pilots at MJT who didn't deice?

I know what you're trying to say about the increase in safety and I don't disagree with the thought...but there is no way one can say(or even infer) that this gal having an ATP would have been the break in the accident chain preventing these needless deaths.

Folks, the ATP is a piece of plastic. Saying one should meet the minimums for it before getting a job at an airline I'll agree with. Saying someone should have the certificate doesn't mean they will fly any better.

I got my ATP in a seminole paired with an Eagle driver. I don't think that instantly made me a better pilot (or him) when I sat in the right seat of a 727 the next week. I did it because I wanted it when I applied to other airlines. No other reason.

Yes, they're grandfathered, but......they have to be paired with a captain over age 60.

...except on Tuesdays and Federal holidays...

Tightening the regs, while well intentioned, will only cost the company (and flying public) more $$ in the end. I'm sure the argument that the passengers are "paying for safety" can and will be made, the simple fact remains that pilots are human beings and human beings WILL make mistakes and continue to crash airplanes. Increasing prices will only drive more people away and that's the last thing we need. Where is the balance?

Lakes has some of the lowest mins I have ever seen and they haven't killed anyone. A list of non-fatals...yes. But what do you expect when you fly in the conditions they fly in.

The key is training. All the exp in the world can't make up for good training.

Last edited:
Not certain, but likely. I don't think anyone could argue that having two ATP rated and typed pilots is safer than not.

I don't think anyone could argue if the FAA handed out all checkrides and they pulled certificates for failure that we would have much better/safer pilots. Pilots would also be much higher paid as the washout rates every year (from 1yr to 40yr pilots) would drive salaries up due to lack of demand.

Why is the argument only about what it takes to be hired, not what it takes to keep the job or is it because that hits a little to close to home and you aren't confident in your ability to ace a ride with the Feds?

I don't think anyone could argue if the FAA handed out all checkrides and they pulled certificates for failure that we would have much better/safer pilots.

Why on earth would you advocate having someone's certificate suspended or revoked for a checkride failure? Hell, even doctors don't have their MD revoked if they kill somebody with a mistake...

There's enough pressure as is to pass...why put that much more pressure on pilots to pass a checkride that already isn't very realistic?

I haven't failed a checkride to this point in my career, but I also recognize I'm not immune from making a mistake and shouldn't have my career or my livelihood jeopardized because of a single screwup on a checkride...especially when FAA inspectors have a habit of landing gear-up in airplanes they're flying.

Hi!

Oh yea! What was HER name?

This occured in the early 1960s, and it was 100% male. They would not hire females, which led to the problem you are referring to above. If ALL the airlines would have always hired the best qualified applicants, there would not have been any preferential hiring at all.

I am flying overseas, and learning even more than I did about ICAO and how the rest of the world operates.

EVERYONE has a type rating, which I think is best. And I don't mean a crap FAA invented "FO Type Rating" to get around ICAO rules, to save money for all of their customers (upper management and owners of aviation organizations).

To fly commercially in Kenya, you need an oral and flight test for EVERY airplane that you earn money in. You need a checkout for a 172, and then a separate checkout for a 182, etc.

The -135/-125 crap, not to mention, Oh we're part -91, and we're going to make a lot of money as a private, non-commercial organization is the MOST crap of all!

Overseas, you have Commercial, and private. If you make so much as one dollar, it is Commercial, and all the regs apply. In other words, if you own the plane, and you fly it for fun, it is private (-91). If you, the owner, or the pilot, or the organization, earns money from that aircraft in ANY form, it is Commercial (-121). No part -91 charter, no part -91 subpart K (what the he!! is that, anyway?), no part -135, no part -125, etc., etc.

I have come to believe that ICAO standards are definitely better than FAA standards.

And, from what I have heard, in Europe, with the most experience required and the strictest standards for pilots, guess what?...they have the highest paid pilots!

The reason that American pilots are working overseas, is that the FAA has made it cheap to learn to fly here, in part by having easier standards and more lax regulation than other places.

cliff
NBO

I don't think anyone could argue if the FAA handed out all checkrides and they pulled certificates for failure that we would have much better/safer pilots. Pilots would also be much higher paid as the washout rates every year (from 1yr to 40yr pilots) would drive salaries up due to lack of demand.

It's been said, but that's probably the least constructive idea out there.

No, it wouldn't have.

The ATP-rated captain was the PF who mismanaged his airspeed, and while the FO wasn't ATP rated I've seen it reported she met the minimum requirements to hold one.

Holding an ATP is not insurance against committing a stupid pilot trick or an act of poor airmanship.

Holding and ATP is certainly not insurance against poor airmanship. My arguement is that more pilots (not all) will be forced to develop the fundementals of flying by spending their early days flight instructing and flying 135.

The fact is, there is a high learning curve for the first couple thousand hours in aviation. There is no better way to learn stick and rudder than to teach it as a CFI. There is no better way to learn weather flying and the system than to fly 135 yourself.

I feel that pilots who have by-passed this traditional route to a 121 career missed a great opportunity to develop themselves as pilots.

Latest resources

Back