Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should an ATP be required for both pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Should a ATP be required to fly for an airline?

• Yes

Votes: 792 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 144 15.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 16 1.7%

• Total voters
I'm also not saying that both pilots having ATPs would have prevented the Colgan accident - but you can't deny that requiring airlines to hire people with more experience, and having already demonstrated their abilities to ATP standards, will increase safety to the general public.

What one can't deny is if the Captain had his certificate pulled at at some point during his five check ride failures, the accident would have been prevented.

Back to basics here - the airlines need to start paying reasonable wages. Now that the public has a much better understanding of airline salaries, who in their right mind would get into the business? Back to the issue at hand: An ATP written should be required to be hired and the ATP checkride should be part of the sim checkride. The one year ride for an FO should be for a type rating. It gives an incentive to new pilots to keep learning and it keeps them sharp enough to keep an eye on less than stellar captains.

It's not hard imacdog!! All they need to do is make hiring mins equal to the ATP mins, and stick w/ them. I was hired at ACA w/ 2600 hrs and no ATP (met all requirements), but couldnt afford the couple thosands of dollars to get it.

That is also another possibility. Personally as a regular passenger I would prefer to see the pilots that make it that far with their hours demonstrate their abilities to ATP standards and earn the ATP certificate. Some will argue that passing the 121 initial checkride requires ATP-level flying and I won't argue against that; however, taking the checkride in a plane with two pilots and a good autopilot is far easier to accomplish than doing the same, single-pilot in a plane with no autopilot. If the FAA can require a certain experience level for PICs in 135 VFR and IFR, then they could certainly come up with a minimum requirement for 121 pilots, both PIC and SIC. Will they? I hope so, whether it be through requiring ATP-level experience, or the actual certificate itself. Would the airlines voluntarily require said experience? Of course not!

What one can't deny is if the Captain had his certificate pulled at at some point during his five check ride failures, the accident would have been prevented.

That is entirely possible as well. We don't know why he failed those checkrides - if he went 125 feet high on a steep turn and failed the ride because of that, I don't know if we can say with any certainty that it was directly correlated with his flying performance, or lack thereof, on the night of the accident.

We don't know why he failed those checkrides - if he went 125 feet high on a steep turn and failed the ride because of that, I don't know if we can say with any certainty that it was directly correlated with his flying performance, or lack thereof, on the night of the accident.

The key is checkrides not checkride[/i]. You think 5 failed rides is acceptable or somehow he was unfairly judged wrong 5 times, that is your opinion. Mine would be he had no business as an airline captain let along PIC in a 172.

I am saying neither, and am not sure how you inferred that from my post. While failing five checkrides in the course of a career is certainly not good, the reasons he failed the checkrides may have been completely unrelated to the causes of this accident.

This regulation would ensure that higher time people get hired.

It will force airlines to pay for experience. Since they can't hire 500 hour pilots, they will have to cough up enough pay to hire someone with experience.

There is nothing wrong with asking that pilots' skills get some maturity by flying smaller aircraft until they have some minimum level of seasoning.

Why 1500TT? Well, why not?

It's not like we would be demanding 5,000 hours. It is an attainable goal.

Sure, people graduation from academies will have to put their SJS on hold for a bit, but anything worth having is worth earning.

In my fathers days, you didn't fly a jet until you were in your 40's and had a ton of turbo prop time, and probably thousands of hours. Not a bad prospect for the passengers.

Latest resources

Back