• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sheble Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are probably one of those people who do have the personal integrity and self-motivation to learn what you need to be successful - and safe.

I used to think that anyone in aviation would be like that. I mean, how stupid is it to only want to get the minimum knowledge to get by in an airplane in an environment where anything you can imagine can - and will - happen.

But, you know what? After a lifetime of instructing, I have come across too many people trying to learn only a minimum amount to 'get their ticket', that I now know that these kinds of schools promote the low level of pilot knowledge and skill that we are suffering today.

Self-motivated, self-disciplined people with ethics and integrity do just fine with minimul basic training - they see what they need to know and do, and they do it. And that is the way that the regulations are written - to people who can also use common sense and see the purpose and reason behind the reg and go with that. Not try to find 'loopholes' in the reg and short-cut something that may cause a decrease in knowledge or skill.

Good Point, Nosehair! Whats with the name?

Are you one of the millions of people out there that got suckered into the fancy "Flying" magazine ads out there?

No, I was spraying fields as a teenager probably before you were born. I'm more enamored with round engines and fabric wings than shiny turbojet airplanes. I fly both, but I like round engines, being soaked in oil, and airplanes that make you work for a living.

I wasn't suckered into anything; I do what I do by choice, and because I love to do it.

So far as Sheble...he provides the bare minimum he can, and the money you pay for your certificate isn't airplane rental; you're buying the certificate. Pure and simple.

So far as advising applicants to falsify the logbook, I don't care how you justify it. Advising a student to lie, cheat, and steal has never been the right thing to do.

I'll continue to admonish a student the same today as I did many years ago; earn your way into the industry, and learn to walk before you run. There's no substitute, and experience can't be bought.

Go earn some experience. The quickest way is seldom the best.

I now know that these kinds of schools promote the low level of pilot knowledge and skill that we are suffering today.

Actually it is the airlines that hire these pilots who promote this. 250hrs and a plus gets you a job where you can build seniority which has value. Instructing for 1000hrs might make you a better pilot but the quality of your skills are not by and large what determine your salary in aviation.

...the quality of your skills are not by and large what determine your salary in aviation.

Speak for yourself. For some segments of the industry where skill is not a big part of the equation, and where the flying is done within a narrow band of the envelope under tightly defined and controlled conditions, that might be true.

I've spent much of my career working in areas where lack of skill not only determines your employability, but will quickly see you killed.

So far as I am concerned, what you have in your logbook is entirely meaningless, but what you can do, and where you have been, and what you have learned being there, is the law.

Where I'm from, your ability is everything. To preach otherwise is small minded, indeed.

No, I was spraying fields as a teenager probably before you were born. I'm more enamored with round engines and fabric wings than shiny turbojet airplanes. I fly both, but I like round engines, being soaked in oil, and airplanes that make you work for a living.

I wasn't suckered into anything; I do what I do by choice, and because I love to do it.

So far as Sheble...he provides the bare minimum he can, and the money you pay for your certificate isn't airplane rental; you're buying the certificate. Pure and simple.

So far as advising applicants to falsify the logbook, I don't care how you justify it. Advising a student to lie, cheat, and steal has never been the right thing to do.

I'll continue to admonish a student the same today as I did many years ago; earn your way into the industry, and learn to walk before you run. There's no substitute, and experience can't be bought.

Go earn some experience. The quickest way is seldom the best.

For somebody that likes to bash Shebles and preach the importance of gaining experience over time, why did you choose to train there? When did you go and for what rating(s)?

I said nothing about attending Shebles. I learned to fly long before Shebles was in business.

For some segments of the industry where skill is not a big part of the equation,

The vast majority of flying jobs are predicated on seniority. Are there jobs out there where skill is a factor in payscales and advancement, for sure they would be in the minority though. Whether it is a good thing or not DOH determines pay, position, etc. not your ability to fly.

Where I'm from, your ability is everything. To preach otherwise is small minded, indeed.

The world will always need windmill chasers.

Latest resources

Back