• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Serious Question: CAL or FEDEX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you are really have to ask which one I think you should go to CAL. We don't need you at FedEx. We need people with a heads on their shoulders.

Call BS if you want.

Your math is correct but there is no way in hell I'd be a wide body capt. at FDX! I wouldn't even be a 727 capt. Sure I could hold it by seniority but being on the bottom of any seat at FedEx sucks. I'd be a WB f/o by choice.

I was lucky and got hired by FedEx at 26. Now I'm 35. I still have 25 - 30 years of flying left. Believe me when I say I made the right choice. I had 3.5 years to think about it and I won't say I didn't have regrets during that time. I didn't see 911 and a furlough coming. If I had my decision may have been different. I didn't enjoy being furloughed like E.P. suggests but I certainly enjoy flying for Continental a lot more than I did for FedEx. I feel healthier and enjoy life more. Making $200K a year isn't the most important thing in life to me. I will make a very comfortable living at CAL and I'll enjoy my career.

A friend at FedEx said to me one night, "When I was in the military I couldn't wait to get into an airplane, now I can't wait to get out of one." That was how I felt also. I just found out he has stomach cancer. He's only 47.

This is about personal preference. If I were making the same decision TODAY I would pick Continental.

I don't understand how night flying lowers your life? You can still work out,eat healthy, and sleep plenty. It just depends on you. If your willing to do it. Am I missing something? Also how would you be at the bottom of the 72 on the Capt side? If there upgrading at year 4 wouldn't you have a solid line even on the Bus?

Last edited:
Night flying isn't the problem. Its the changing of sleep cycles. You know, day to night to night to day. Do a google search for NASA Sleep Study.

psysicx said:
I don't understand how night flying lowers your life? You can still work out,eat healthy, and sleep plenty. It just depends on you. If your willing to do it. Am I missing something? Also how would you be at the bottom of the 72 on the Capt side? If there upgrading at year 4 wouldn't you have a solid line even on the Bus?

mr psysicx, i for one would be pleased if you quit that security guard job and get some educational loans. Learn to fly, get a degree, join the military, get a job at FEX and then pester some poor ole fex captain to death. :)

All I'm saying is that it depends on the person. Changing sleep cycles can be hard but what affects the way we sleep is what we eat and how much excercise. I know a BP agent who works graveyards and is the healthiest person I know.

Options are good.

Gearup727 said:
If you are really have to ask which one I think you should go to CAL. We don't need you at FedEx. We need people with a heads on their shoulders.

Gear: Come on. If you really have to respond that way you are shining a poor light on the pilot group at FedEx. It is a legit question, give your opinion but to imply that we don't need somebody at FedEx just because they have other options and are smart enough to consider them is pretty pompous. No need for that.

There are plenty of other ways to fly for a living other than FedEx. We are in good shape right now, but flying on the back side of the clock is not for everybody and some may really be adverse to it. As long as they consider all the info and make the best decision for them and their family than all the more power to them. Not everybody is a "best fit" at FedEx.

You make the best decision you can based on ALL the info (remember the name of the board? FLIGHTINFO?) and then try not to look back. I commend Fitz for sharing his experience with the board and have no problem with folks using the board to augment their job search. I wouldn't rely on it exclusively, but you can get some very helpful insight from the folks on this board.

I will add this. When people ask me about FedEx vs other carriers I try to explain the downside of the constant battle over night or day flying here. And I also tell them that my ultimate recommendation is that I passed up a class date at another carrier after a year and a half at FedEx while still in the bottom 50 of the entire seniority list, because I felt that this was a better fit for me. That is the highest endorsement I can make about our company.

Do I regret it? Sometimes, but I try not to look back. Doesn't mean that I shouldn't be at FedEx just because I considered other options.

Good luck and please let us know which way you go.

FJ

Some of you guys are down right vicious! You remind me of some who spoke with a very similar tone and demeanor that worked for certain legacy carriers in the 80's and 90's. When their worlds were turned upside down I'm sure it was a very humbling experience especially for their large ego's, FEDEX will probably be a very stable and well paying flying job for the foreseeable future, but remember never say never in this business.

As for the question, my two cents, I would take FEDEX. I was hired at Continental in 87. A couple of months after I was hired at CAL I interviewed at FEDEX (Federal Express back then). I was so impressed, Federal Express paid for a full fare ticket from Houston to Memphis, the hotel room and told me to charge all my food to the room for the two or three days I was there. Do they still do that? I really wanted to work for Federal Express, in fact I think Frank Fato (sp?) interviewed me just to get me to stop calling.

I was so devastated to be turned down by Federal Express. However I was so impressed that they actually told me why I was turned down, something most companies would never do, I graded the highest in my interview group in the simulator and the personal interview, I apparently just missed the cutoff on the standardized testing by a small margin.

I can't tell you how many times over the past 18 1/2 I've thought about that test. If I had just applied myself a little more I would have had a far better career than I've had at Continental. That's the honest truth. Don't get me wrong I am so fortunate to be here at Continental, it's a great company and I've ended up far better than many in this business (for that I'm especially grateful). I even left Continental twice during the bad years (more bad times than good in my career at Continental) on leave of absences and worked for other carriers. Just the fact that I didn't quit (almost did) and still enjoy my original seniority number I am forever grateful.

Having just turned forty and with twenty years to go, I think sometimes maybe thirty-nine years of flying the back side of the clock wouldn't have been worth it. But then I think about all the stress and instability during the ups and downs I've been through with Continental (and there have been plenty of downs) and honestly I still regret not getting that Federal Express job. Honestly in my opinion FEDEX is a better company to work for hands down, provided you can live with all the back side of the clock flying. I know they do alot of day flying but somebody has to do all that night flying as well.

I have over the years met a few guys who left FEDEX and UPS to come too or back too (on leave of absences or furlough) Continental. It wasn't for them, they hated the back side of the clock flying. I respect them for their decision. It's a personal decision and you have to do what's best for you and your family.

If I were a betting man I'd have to say FEDEX is a lot more stable and will have better or at the very least just as good pay and benefits as Continental or whatever we're called in the years ahead. However in this business you just never know! They used to say wait until your sixty and then you will know if you made the right decisions, unfortunately some USAIR pilots can't even do that.

It's your decision and as long as you make an educated decision that is best for your own personal needs, once you make it never look back! If you do decide to come to Continental WELCOME ABOARD! We have a great company; the best part is our employees!

Last edited:
Easy - take Fedex. Continental will likely merge with another airline at some point and then all bets are off.... You never know what will happen in that case. With Fedex, you can fly both domestic or international.

Take Fedex. Let us know which one you ultimately choose. Good luck!

CAL EWR B737 said:
I was so impressed, Federal Express paid for a full fare ticket from Houston to Memphis, the hotel room and told me to charge all my food to the room for the two or three days I was there. Do they still do that? I really wanted to work for Federal Express, in fact I think Frank Fato (sp?) interviewed me just to get me to stop calling.

I was so devastated to be turned down by Federal Express. However I was so impressed that they actually told me why I was turned down, something most companies would never do, I graded the highest in my interview group in the simulator and the personal interview, I apparently just missed the cutoff on the standardized testing by a small margin.

CAL

Unfortunately FedEx no longer pays for people to come interview. Same for the lodging and meals. Plus you now have to pony up $50 as part of your application.

As far as the standardized testing goes... I have heard that if you do too well on it you won't get hired either. So maybe you were too smart!:)

Regards,

Latest resources

Back