• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Serious Question: CAL or FEDEX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Having done both (not CAL but AA in the good times) and FedEx, I'd say go with FedEx. If you already have the offer then you could be in class in January.

The growth in 2006 is going to be huge - upwards of 30 widebodies on the property (maybe more). The bid in the spring is rumored to have 300 (!) new weidebody CA positions. The training dept has been told to get ready for the biggest hiring year ever. Three classes confirmed in Jan.

Oh, and a pay raise coming along with (most likely) an increase in the B-fund and some better Intl trip rigs and the best vacation system in the industry.

If you go to the back of the Boeing you will be holding day flying lines within 6 months of finishing IOE. If you go to the right seat of the Boeing you will be holding B reserve (noon-midnight; ie day flying) within 6 months of finishing IOE.

Downsides: no F/As, night flying if you are junior, no travel benefits for the girlfriend/family.

I've made my decision: I'm not going back to AA, even though I liked the F/As and used the hell out of the non-rev privileges. I flew for 10 years in the military with no F/As, and I make enough at FedEx to buy my tickets when I want to go on vacation.

Good luck, and congrats on your "dilemma".

I've been at CAL for 18 years, I really like it, and think its a great career.

I'd take FedEx if I was you.

"daylight flying" at Cal ????? What about the international flying. Leave at 6-11 pm and fly all night to Europe.

FedEx no question

If it's daylight you want...

I've been at FedEx for 4 years now and can count on one hand how many times I've taken off past midnight. We have a ton of day flying and even when I was junior, I was able to trade my night stuff for day stuff.

I do (for now) live in Memphis and this is a big part of why I have been able to avoid night flying.

Good luck with your decision. Lots of valid points are listed above.

Goose17

Definately CAL!!!

I only say that so that there's one more slot for me!!!

TSD

If I were you and I wish on my lucky stars it was me, I'd go to FedEx! As many have stated before the airline industry is in shambles and there is no guarantee that CO would be able to avoid trouble. Good luck with your FedEx career.

Dispell some myths...

I'm recent hire with UPS, and, yes, there is alot of night flying, but there is still daytime flying. In my seat, I can hold a day rsv shift (11 am to midnight). Even the night shift is not bad. In my a/c, most trips are 1 leg into a sort, sit 3-4 hours, then 1 leg back to where you started; almost all legs are 1:30 long and under. It is not a bad gig. Granted, there are other fleets that will work you to the bone every night if you are junior.

I flew single-pilot night freight for US Check and while that was fun flying, it kicked my butt. Those hours were so much harsher than these hours. I feel fine on my off days, and the only times that I have felt tired when getting home were because of my own choosing (i.e. commuting home after working at night). Otherwise, it is not bad at all.

The biggest thing that you should consider is the stability of cargo vs. pax. Many posters have already touched upon those issues, so I will not rehash. But I think the best advice that was given already is that, you, and only you can decide what is best for you. The rest of this is just mental gymnastics.

Good luck to you and congrats for being in a position to choose to work for 2 fine companies! :D

I really get tired of these "which job should I take, I'm so f'ing lucky aren't I?"

You know the answer. It lies within (or in Yoda-speak, "Lies within, it does.")

GogglesPisano said:
I really get tired of these "which job should I take, I'm so f'ing lucky aren't I?"

You know the answer. It lies within (or in Yoda-speak, "Lies within, it does.")

May I suggest you not visit this board................

Latest resources

Back