Serious Question: CAL or FEDEX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LivinDaDream

I have been extremely lucky. I have offers from both CAL and Fedex.

Besides the obvious pay reasons for the first few years, what would you do and why???

Tough call. I'm happy at CAL and enjoy the variety of flying / equipment (nice and new/clean). But I have a buddy whose on the panel on the 727 at FedEx and is happy. Personally I prefer the lifestyle better on the airline side. Plus you enjoy your days off better when you haven't been up all nights on the road.

Prepare for many opposing views.

good luck on whatever your choice is

As RocketRob said, be ready for many different opinions, but then again I believe that is what you are looking for. I for one would go Cargo all the way, I really don't think the turmoil in the Airline (read Legacy Airline) industry is over, not by a long -shot. We haven't seen the last of the mergers yet, how would you do at CAL when they merge with .... UAL, or someone else? I truly think it will ans has to come to this sooner or later, and I for one don't want to be on the furlough list again. Flying on the opposite side of the clock is a very small price to pay for stability. Good luck!!

Fedex has quite a few widebodies on order, Cal is doing everything they can to keep their head above water. Fedex will probably pay out close to double over your career. Also a merger, which is likely, could very well put you on the street for a few years. I don't see a single reason for picking CAL, except of course the hot FA's. lol

I'd go CAL but only because I actually like people....and flying them in the daytime.......and because my wife makes a fair income to supplement my alleged career. Safe bet? Cargo is much more stable.

Lets be honest here. We shouldn't even be having this discussion. It's almost in bad taste, ie. showing off.

This is a decison you should be able to make on your own.

CAL:
  • FA's to drink with on layovers
  • Daytime flying
  • Right seat of 757/767 and international flying with less than 1 year senority
  • Travel benefits for your family
  • Huge number of retirements in the next 5 years.
FedEX:
  • 2nd year pay on the Bus/MD-11 is $117/hr. Guys are holding this before their 1st year is even up. You know how long it takes to break $100/hr at CAL?
  • Compare retirement packages
  • Job security
  • Out of the cut-throat 'airline environment'. Not constantly trying to cut costs (read: pilots payscales) to stay competitive with LLC's
  • 2nd year widebody pay is $117/hr. Ohh wait, did I allready mention that?
  • A new contract is in the near future with even better pay and work rules
CAL has had several people leave recently for FedEX, myself included.

Like the other guy said, its a 'no brainer'. Take the Jan class at FedEX.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back